Antivirus malware etc - paid for or not ?

Edit My Images
Yes
For many years I've used a free antivirus and not had any problems. Tried a few different companies, currently with Avast.
However, a part of my feels that it's wrong just to take and not to give something back so I'm wondering if there are any people here who have any experience and suggestions ?
Do any offer a complete package (ie that includes malware and spyware busters)
It would be good to protect the family, so 3 laptops, a desktop and 4 mobiles.
We don't need anything too fancy, don't look at too many dodgy sites to the best of my knowledge......!
Any wise folks out there with any advice or should I just keep on as I am ?

Windows Defender , now called Windows security , no idea about mobiles I just use what comes with the phone

For years I used Internet security suites like Norton (ugh!), McAfee, F-Secure, Nod-32 & Kaspersky and had no issues other than issues created by some of the software itself.
In recent years I have used only freeware, Avast, CCleaner & Malwarebytes and the only thing these haven't done is create the problems some of the others did.
Pay or not pay is a no-brainer for me. :)

For years I used Internet security suites like Norton (ugh!), McAfee, F-Secure, Nod-32 & Kaspersky and had no issues other than issues created by some of the software itself.
In recent years I have used only freeware, Avast, CCleaner & Malwarebytes and the only thing these haven't done is create the problems some of the others did.
Pay or not pay is a no-brainer for me. :)

My own experience has been more or less the same! I've also seen suggestions that Windows Defender is all you need, and that running Avast or AVG at the same time is unnecessary/unwise, but I don't know enough about this to comment.

I've used F-Secure for many years.....2 years for 3 PCs for £50.
I do also use Free Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner from the same stable for occasional scans.

However Windows Defender and other free products are perfectly adequate as long as the user is aware of the threats!

PS. Only one Antivirus product at a time!

Last edited:
I use BullGuard but I have to pay. It is pointless asking a handful of people to comment and each say they had no problems. You need much larger numbers to make a real decision. If Anti -virus software A allows 4 in 1000 computers to be contaminated but software B it is 1 in 1000 then you have some basis for a decision. I get my information from Which? but have to pay for that as well. There are other free reviews which might help. I can tell you, though Defender is generally quite good if you use Edge it is not so effective for other Browsers. There is no clash between BullGuard and Defender so I have both on and they do not seem to slow my PC.

Dave

Havent used any anti virus software for about 20 years.. My email client is text only so cant get a virus (as I am not daft enough to click on anything attached) .. i dont visit dodgy websites.... never had a problem..

Back