Any body here understand Fibre broadband logistics?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Cutting a very long story short.........part of my village (130 houses) has Fibre to the home, (no green cabinet, fibre all the way from the exchange). The fibre cable runs down the main road just a few metres away from the unconnected part of the village (70 Houses), is it really that complicated/expensive to get all the rest connected to it, presumably they just spur off the main fibre cable into the homes, or am I oversimplifying things?

Dont they normally run a dedicated duct (9” pipe or thereabouts) under the street, and then run individual fibres from the cabinet to the house....therefore no duct, no FTTH?

Dont they normally run a dedicated duct (9” pipe or thereabouts) under the street, and then run individual fibres from the cabinet to the house....therefore no duct, no FTTH?

In most cases yes, but with "fibre to the home" it runs straight from the exchange without going via a cabinet. Its been a steep learning curve but that's what I understand anyway.

Each property gets its own fibre path back to the aggregation point (could be a green cabinet or could be the exchange) you can't magically splice into an existing fibre and create an extra path, it has to go back to the aggregation point and there has to be capacity to terminate at the aggregation point.

They do sometimes deliver the fibre overhead in microduct strung from a telegraph pole now though.

Short story: technically it's not that hard. Realistically there is one hell of a civils project to make it happen (and why is your village more important than mine?)

Around here they've upgraded the cabinets to supply FTTH and new estates are getting FTTH from the cabinet, it also means that the cabinet can supply ~150mbps over copper to the local properties still on FTTC. There's no plan to upgrade other existing properties here to FTTH because most of the town was dug up 20 years ago for Cabletel/NTL/Virginmedia.

If you still live where you used to then there has been a lot of new build so you probably have the same problem I do
I used to have fibre until I change ISPs last year and went down to basic BB, yeah right had nothing but hassle
with speeds dropping ever since.
Contract ran out in November so I changed and can't get fibre until Openreach install new ports, we also have loads of new build properties so I am stuck with basic, not too upset as my new ISP is pretty good for what I need

Each property gets its own fibre path back to the aggregation point (could be a green cabinet or could be the exchange) you can't magically splice into an existing fibre and create an extra path, it has to go back to the aggregation point and there has to be capacity to terminate at the aggregation point.

They do sometimes deliver the fibre overhead in microduct strung from a telegraph pole now though.

Short story: technically it's not that hard. Realistically there is one hell of a civils project to make it happen (and why is your village more important than mine?)

Nail, head, hit......

The actually technical bit isn't that difficult, but it's the physical civils work that's both expensive & time consuming. I sold a 100mb circuit to a customer based in rural Essex. The Civil works involved digging trenches for over 4km, and then running the final bit of fibre over a couple of telegraph poles. That was nearly £40k, and that was 10 years ago.....

Yep - I'm in the middle of getting a fibre line in at work (currently everything is supplied underground using a direct buried 20pr armoured cable) - the excess construction costs to cross a road and then 45yds of moleploughing is ~£8k

If you're digging a trench in soft ground it's expensive
If you're digging in hard ground it's bloody expensive
If you're digging a road up it's how much?!?!?!

Last edited:
If you're digging a road up it's how much?!?!?!

And you'll have to wait around 6 months (at least) for the council to "program in" the road closure and traffic management. Bloody nightmare... Spent 20 plus years selling this stuff and it still shocks me how much the ECC's are....

In the early nineties, my then employer looked at getting a cable run diagonally across a busy intersection of the A4 at Brentford. This was to get from the black tower block, now called the Mille, to our data centre on the estate where Fiat was based before it was redeveloped. Not surprisingly, for all the reasons already given, it didn't happen.

Thanks that's basically the info I needed, explains why BT aren't so keen to do more of the village with FTTH. I recall doing the 100 or so they've done so far has been a major headache, just a shame we now cant even get basic fibre, currently stuck on <2Mps

If you still live where you used to then there has been a lot of new build so you probably have the same problem I do

No we moved out 5 years ago when we saw what was going to happen, managed to sell up before the developments started.

Back