Any Boiler fitters on the forum??

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
im looking into changing my boiler system,

im currently living in staff accomadation where im paying minimal rent,i have a baby on the way and want to up grade what we have.

we currently have a trianco solid fuel boiler attached to 5 radiators around the house.

and seperate emmersion tank for hot water.

we have no supply of gas o the house so was looking into a wood burning stove with a back boiler,

mainly because they look really nice and the fuel can be supplied for free because i live on a golf course with acres of woodland.
and also because its alot cleaner, efective and easier to control than the solid fuel, the solid fuel is costing us £180 a month.

the insulation in the house is terrible with thin sash windows,

we want to be living in a warm house!

now so i supppose my question is whats involved?

ive looked into the cost of the stove, and for the kw i think i need with a back boiler is around £800 , im assuming it will be a simple job,just to take out the existing boiler and replace with new , no??

ive spoke to the property manager and he said he isnt able to help us out because its not a priority because the system we have is not faulty.

we have lived here for 3 years and will be here for alot longer still, so we think it will be cost effective for us to upgrade in the long run.

what sort of labour costs do you think i would be lookng at for replacement?

anyone want to do it for me at reduced costs? ill chuck in a dinner a few beers ;)

this is what i have in the fireplace of my front room

main_product_TRITRG45.jpg

and this is the sort of thing i want to replace it with

franco_belge_savoy_b.jpg

the solid fuel is costing us £180 a month.

Can't help with the boiler, I just wanted to say Jings Crivvens! at that ^ :eek:

Although you say you live on a golf course and there are acres of woodland around you, have you given a thought to what is involved.
(1) For a start you will need to buy a chainsaw.
(2)You will have to buy safety clothing, jacket, trousers, boots, gloves, helmet and visor.
(3) You will need to learn how to use the equipment safely.
(4) The trees, if standing will need to be felled and sawn into logs and split if too big for the fire
(5) The logs will need to be transported to your house.
(6) The logs will need to be stored somewhere to dry out / keep dry.
(7) You will have to learn how to burn the logs efficiently in order to maintain the burn.

The equipment needed is very costly and producing the end product is very labour intensive and there really is a knack to burning the wood.
I speak from experience as I also do not have a mains gas supply and have my own woodland.
I have a solid fuel boiler that burns logs etc.,this is one half of a dual system the other half is an LPG boiler which I only use when I either have no logs available or for whatever reason the solid fuel boiler is not burning well.
If it is supplied already cut then you just need to learn how to burn it efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleT
"the solid fuel is costing us £180 a month."

That could easily be spent if I were to just use the LPG boiler alone supplied from 47 kilo bottled gas.

Is the landlord going to give you permission to take out a non faulty boiler and install a new system ?
Perhaps the insulation needs to be upgraded by your landlord, possibly the windows too. Your local council can advise on what is and whats not required by private landlords. Sounds like yours does'nt give a hoot. Until you get insulation problem sorted you'll still lose a lot of heat and that aint good for a new baby

thanks for your repies guys.

(1) For a start you will need to buy a chainsaw.
(2)You will have to buy safety clothing, jacket, trousers, boots, gloves, helmet and visor.
(3) You will need to learn how to use the equipment safely.
(4) The trees, if standing will need to be felled and sawn into logs and split if too big for the fire
(5) The logs will need to be transported to your house.

no too much of a problem because i can get the green keepers to do this for me as they are reguarly removing fallen trees and cutting trees down them selves

(6) The logs will need to be stored somewhere to dry out / keep dry.
i have a wood/coal shed that will help me with this.

i think the problem i have with the land lord is the situation, in that im paying nothing to live here, so i suppose they have one on me, and i have no power.

maybe i could get them to come out and have a look at the insulation problems, becasue most days its colder in the house than out side, i can be sat quite regualy in the house with condensation coming out of my mouth while im talking.

try asking on the forums at www.diynot.com

Word of warning with that link...

BE PREPARED....

Be very careful how you word your OP as there are many experts who like to pull posts apart for the sake of having a laugh at the expense of the OP. Bare in mind as well that they will not be able to give you any indication of cost as...how longs a piece of string? Admin control is minimal.

I'm not saying that to be difficult...just to save you the grief that you may get....have a browse of the posts...you will get the jist of what I am saying.(y)

>>>>>Be very careful how you word your OP as there are many experts who like to pull posts apart for the sake of having a laugh at the expense of the OP. Bare in mind as well that they will not be able to give you any indication of cost as...how longs a piece of string? Admin control is minimal.

I'm not saying that to be difficult...just to save you the grief that you may get....have a browse of the posts...you will get the jist of what I am saying.(y)<<<<<

It is also very much like that on the Screwfix forum.

Back