Any camera backpacks that can take a 17” laptop?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I use a chunky 17” laptop for my work. I need a new backpack to cart it around and quite fancy something I can safely pack a camera into as well. The vast majority of camera backpacks with laptop storage are for 13” laptops. Some larger ones suit 15’s but I’m struggling for 17” options.

It needs to be a laptop bag first and foremost so cannot compromise on that aspects. Needs to be robust. I’m pretty relaxed about the camera storage aspect, no specific gear I want carry, just want the option of carrying something.

Got a 17" lappy here myself, so also interested in suggestion, never did find one suitable besides a roller bag I had. And that wasn't really practical for shorter journies.

Got a 17" lappy here myself, so also interested in suggestion, never did find one suitable besides a roller bag I had. And that wasn't really practical for shorter journies.

Mines one of the dell work station ones. It’s quite fat so bags that would fit a 17” MacBook Pro might not quite cut it. The charger is massive too.

Mines one of the dell work station ones. It’s quite fat so bags that would fit a 17” MacBook Pro might not quite cut it. The charger is massive too.

Mine's huge too, I think it weighs over 3kg, it's an Acer that also has a big awkward brick on the charger

If you can find one, a Lowepro computrekker plus, I have one and its a tardis

Think the Think Tank stuff is going to be too expensive though appreciate the suggesterions. Should have stated a budget really, sorry. The shape shifter looks good though. The Streetwalker spec says 15" laptops, like most others. But alas I'm probably thinking sub £100.

@Dangermouse1964 's Lowepro suggestion seems well worth a look. I notice the fastpack 350 also seems to say it will take a 17" laptop too so I'll check that out too. Need to see if room for a 17" laptop means, just about being able to fit one in at a stretch or comfortably swallow one. The latter is what's needed. Needs to go in and out, no fuss.

Also found an Amazon Basics one for about £40. I'm reluctant a bit because I had an amazon one years ago and it fell apart quickly though reviews for the this one are good and the straps look far more robust on the pics than the one I had. Might be worth a punt.

What dimensions are your laptop, I will get mine out and see if it will fit for you if you like

What dimensions are your laptop, I will get mine out and see if it will fit for you if you like

These are sizes from Dell site.

16.41" x 10.65" x 1.3-1.42"
416.7mm x 270.6mm x 33.1-36.1mm

Would really appreciate that. I've been reading quite a few of the user reviews for various bags on Amazon and so many of them have said that their 17" laptop either doesn't fit, is a tight squeeze or is insufficiently protected inside.

it would fit, the sleeve the laptop goes in is 450mm by 300mm my laptop is 26mm thick and goes in easy so I guess yours will go in...………….just tried the wifes 15.6 Dell that's thicker than yours and it fits easilly

They are a large bag Graham, worth the money and I have just googled and there are a couple for sale, you want the AW + model, mine keeps all the kit I need and more for airshows, even the camera with 150-500 attached with lens hood fits with space to spare.

20180929_080250 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

Mod Edit: I'm sure you know the rules on selling but you may want to refresh your memory by having another read.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve carried a 17” laptop in an f-stop bag. The company had interesting troubles that’s put some customers off, and also their stock levels can be challenging. The product quality is execellent though.

Back