Any computer people out there????

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Cannot connect to my network on my laptop. Bottom right I have a red cross on the computer icon.

It says 'connection status: unknown

The dependency service or group failed to start.

I have tried replacing the nlasvc.dll file

also a netsh winsock reset

Still the same after that still cannot connect.

Any ideas?

I had that problem earlier on and I simply forgot had forgotten to switch wifi on. It may be something as simple as that, or maybe the wifi driver is missing. I take it you are trying to connect through wifi or are you doing it via ethernet cable ?

Seems a fairly common issue, could be a borked tcpip stack or just the network card drivers gone duff.

First bet would be try an Ethernet cable, does that work? Then try new drivers for the wifi.

Then next do a sfc from safe mode but you will need a vista disk. If anyone you know has the same version that'll do.

Have you tried Safe Mode with Networking?
Stick an ethernet cable in, do the amber and green lights flash?

Check the BIOS to ensure the onboard LAN is enabled.

You need to be qualified to use those terms, Neil obviously is as he is using the 'user friendly' tech terms not the engineer to engineer ones :D

The engineer to engineer ones would get removed by the profanity filter :naughty:

Presume you tried another computer on your router?

If so, my guess is your LAN hardware in the laptop is goosed.

It says 'connection status: unknown

The dependency service or group failed to start.

Could be a Windows Service refusing to run.

Click Start, in the white search box type services.msc and press Enter.

Sort by "Startup Type" and check to see if any Automatic services are not currently running. Look for anything referring to Wireless or WLAN, see if any that are not running will start.

It is also possible that Windows isn't controlling the wireless connection. If there is another wireless utility that may be the culprit. (I always ask Windows to control the wireless connection, otherwise it tends to get all upset.) Look through the Start Menu or Control Panel for anything referring to a wireless utility.

Back