Any creative minds out there?

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been asked by a friend to take some photo's of some really bland items, the first one being a pretty plain looking USB stick. These are as a favour for her work reception area to brighten it up a bit.
I was planning on getting some images of the USB stick in some unfamiliar surroundings but so far I can only think of using my ND filter and shooting in the middle of a stream with the usual blurred water effect. I know this is pretty lame, but non togs seem to quite like this sort of thing. :shrug:

Does anyone else have any ideas? :shrug:

I know an office supplies company has this type of product as images on the walls of the offices, they've gone for close-ups (staple removers, staple guns, pens, usb sticks), not showing the whole product, dynamic angles and plain coloured backdrops. As that is the convention for such things.. something involving a stream and running water sounds a bit different, so go for it. You'll not know if it works or not until you try it.

Hi wippers,

If a keyring type you could do a closeup of it hanging in a bunch of keys - either on a hook or a finger against a background? eg. standing in a garage/shopping centre.

In the USB of a notebook on the dash of a car with light streaks at night (I suspect it will be difficult to emphasise the key unless you have a fisheye though). Your car parked so you are using the notepad on the passenger side.

If you want to go kooky and your PP skills are good it could be stuck in an ear with the side of the face by the key awake and in colour spreading toward a grey and asleep part of the face.

Good luck QS

The company sells office stuff with your logo on such as mugs, stationary, pens etc etc...

The only problem I've previously had with macro is unless the item is absolutely perfect, you can see small scratches etc on the surface. I tried a brand new CD and you could still see loads of hairline scratches and marks so didn't look great.:thinking:

I quite like the idea of the subject in unusual surroundings, but just can't think of any. Mind is a blank (although that's nothing new!) :D

Surrounded by hundreds of paperclips?

On a big fancy leaf with the leaf lit from behind so you can see the veins?

Douse it in petrol and capture the moment you set it on fire?! :wacky: :LOL:

Go to the fotolia website and search for "usb stick" and see what pics others have already done. There's a lot of stock product photography on there which is good for inspiration.

which isn't actually such a bad idea! before it turns black you've got a cool shot of a flaming USB stick

Where was that lighting tutorial about shooting products in water.

was somewhere on here By Garry Edwards I think.

Would be an interesting effect.

If you want to make a stir you could use something like "You could stick it up your a**e but it works better stuck into your computer" - with appropriate picures - :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

needs to be more subtle. A carefully composed picture of a peach with the USB stick stuck in it then the caption 'it'll work better in a computer' ;)
and if you don't know why I said peach:
NSFW: http://nativetexas.com/_dale/peach.jpg

Last edited:
You could take the images in the studio then add them to scenes in PP. For example: A giant memory stick playing the part of a tall building in a city scape maybe?

How about photographing the items with alternate objects with the same names? Memory stick and a stick/twig?? you could even put the logo on both!?!?!?!

Some really great ideas on here. Thanks for all the superb input so far. (y)
Think I'm going to have a busy night. I'll have to ask for a few more stick as it looks like some of these are going to get trashed!! It's like a Gadget show tested-to-distruction now!:D

Half submerged in a block of ice?

If you use boiled water that's been left to call down then the block of ice should be really clear and not frosty... then cover that in petrol and set it on fire! :LOL:

what about on a white desk surrounded by a handful or two of jelly beans? lots of colour and still a white background ?

A head shot of an attractive model holding the stick between thumb and forefinger just to one side eyes looking at it, dramatic lighting, and there you go, sex sells.

On a plate of chips, photoshopped into someone's head, a whole curved line of them across a blue sky, being played with by a cat, as the body of a bird or butterfly, lots of them replacing fish in a fish tank, set of them in a candleabra with flames coming out of them - is this enough to be going on with :)

The fish in spot colour I presume? :naughty:

If you use boiled water that's been left to call down then the block of ice should be really clear and not frosty... then cover that in petrol and set it on fire! :LOL:

Is there something we should know about you and fire :thinking: :D

On topic, you could do a series starting with a completely blank stick morphing into a full on branded one, ie show what service the company are selling.

Stick it into a Apple...not the computer.

Back