Any decent Sony-fit Macro lenses knocking about for less than £200

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I got my Sony A200 (my first ever digital camera) a few weeks ago and have been experimenting with it, being generally pleased with the results. I've got the standard 18-70mm lens that came with the body, and am also going to be getting the Sony 75-300mm lens for my birthday in a couple of weeks. In order to get a good all-round set going I also want to get a decent macro lens, however I don't have a lot of money to play with at this moment :( Can anyone suggest a lens to take a look at, or at least point me in the right direction? I would be happy to look at second hand lenses as well if it meant getting something of higher quality.

Thanks all :D

You'll probably need to look at secondhand glass to get near your budget, the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 should come pretty near, finding a Sony-fit one might be a problem though.....

God damn Sony and the lack of third party lenses which fit them compared to Canons and Nikons :) Cheers for the advice, will have a look around on fleabay etc. for the one you suggested. Any more suggestions anyone? I might just be able to stretch to £250...

God damn Sony and the lack of third party lenses which fit them compared to Canons and Nikons :)
mmm, don't think that you'll find much difference really - only currently Tokina of the majors missing & they have indicated that as MAF/Alpha fit volume grows they may reconsider.
Good macro lenses cost money & e.g. the Tamron 90mm costs £335 at WEX whether it is Canon, Nikon or Sony fit ...

There are a few Tamron 90mms on ebay for around £230, however they all say they are brand new and from Hong Kong/Taiwan etc. Anyone had any experience of buying lenses/other equipment on ebay from Asia? Are they really as dodgy as they look or are they actually genuine?

Cheers

Thanks for that redpaul :) on a side note, I notice you have pretty much the same setup as me at the moment, although I haven't yet got the 75-300mm lens. Any thoughts on it compared to the standard 18-70? Which one do you use more?

Anyone had any experience of buying lenses/other equipment on ebay from Asia? Are they really as dodgy as they look or are they actually genuine?
like everything there are good & bad.
however, you also have to consider whether you will be liable for VAT charges (& any charges incurred in collecting that) & also potential warranty issues.

if looking second hand, a minolta 100mm f2.8 AF macro is another possibility

dont the tamron and sigma 70-300 lenses have built in macro capability ? would this not be a better bet than the sony lens ?

the 70-300mms don't do 1:1 & don't have the close focus ability (& tbh they don't have the image quality of a good dedicated macro)

Thanks for that redpaul :) on a side note, I notice you have pretty much the same setup as me at the moment, although I haven't yet got the 75-300mm lens. Any thoughts on it compared to the standard 18-70? Which one do you use more?

I use the 75-300 more because I take a lot of football shots.
I'd say they are pretty decant for kit lenses.

Click on my Flickr link on my post above for some examples.
Not the best photos but they'll give you some idea.

Paul

Back