Any dog experts?

I think that some of the advice above is very sound.

You need to make sure that there isn't a physical problem, basically only humans lie but I did once have a dog who was good at getting her paws trodden on, she would limp around for days, plaintively holding up a paw for sympathy, but often forgetting which paw had been trodden on and holding up the wrong one:) - so dogs can lie.

Once that possible problem has been ruled out, you'll need strong, and possibly brutal training, to get the relationship right - and the dog may need a little training too! Based on my own experience, one home visit will do the job, provided that you and your wife actually listen, and make the changes needed.

Some dog training clubs can be good, but the quality can be very variable. The same goes for "behaviourists", some are good, many are just well-meaning idiots. Whoever you get MUST visit you at home, with all family members present. Try to find someone who is a successful competition trainer - obedience, working trials or agility, these people usually understand dog behaviour, and are also experienced in training owners.

I am not going to pretend to be an expert but have had dogs all my life.

Honestly I don’t think the o.p is a suitable dog owner.

The behaviors described could be down to several reasons. Most likely and most importantly would be to check for health issues. I would definitely be trying another vet.

The next likely reason would be because the dog is picking up on your dislike of him. That can’t be fixed. No wonder he fusses around your wife as dogs can definitely pick up on these things.

After that another reason could be lack of engagement from you when in your company. Lack of exercise could also be another reason. When he displays these behaviors I would be taking him for a walk as it could well be he has excess energy and with you not engaging with him he has no way of working it off.

How often is the dog exercised? 3 year old dog should be getting around 2 hours a day. Preferably split up into to an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.

I am not going to pretend to be an expert but have had dogs all my life.

Honestly I don’t think the o.p is a suitable dog owner. ............. etc.
Sounds that way.

Back