Any Electric Motor experts?

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a workshop dust extractor that keeps tripping the RCD and having taken it apart it might be because a capacitor has started to break down. The capacitor is one of these - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/film-capacitors/0238299

Anyone know a suitable alternative sine that is discontinued?

I had a quick search and can't find any equivalent. Electrolytic capacitors do break down readily, so this could well be the source of the problem - have you tested it for a short circuit and capacitance?

If you can't find a can cap to match then 3 individual caps of the correct values would work just as well if you know how to wire them in.

Some small appliance shops do repairs and they might be able to flog you one if they have one - or point you towards a supplier.

Thanks guys, the end of the can is bulging and its about 20-25 years old so I'm fairly sure its dead. I'll may be try an appliance shop.

Thanks guys, the end of the can is bulging and its about 20-25 years old so I'm fairly sure its dead. I'll may be try an appliance shop.

Bulges in electrolytic caps indicates game over - I wouldn't even bother testing it. Good luck getting a fix.

A bit of a long shot but, if you have a local ERIKS branch they may be able to help. They have a division that repairs all sorts of motors so might have access to suitable capacitors.

www.eriks.co.uk

Back