Any Epson V700 or 750 users?

Peter B

Double Numpty
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Having recently done some MF scanning on my V700 after several years, I have been unhappy with trying to get the film flat and in focus. While researching the Bettersscanning alternative holder, I came across the linked video on scanning MF on the V700 and was surprised to find out there should be additional pieces to hold the film in place before closing the holder! I can't recall aver having had these, but I bought the scanner secondhand. Are these extra bits standard on your holders? I'm asking because they don't seem to be mentioned on replacement film holders I've seen advertised.
View: https://vimeo.com/144029425

Thanks, Peter

I bought my V700 new about 6-7 years ago now, and I didn't receive anything like that with mine. I believe that with mine, when the holder is closed, the film is clamped with no free space between the film itself and the holder, thereby achieving essentially the same thing?

I bought my V700 new about 6-7 years ago now, and I didn't receive anything like that with mine. I believe that with mine, when the holder is closed, the film is clamped with no free space between the film itself and the holder, thereby achieving essentially the same thing?
Thanks Jonathan. It certainly looks like a tight fit without that extra bit, but it's a pest getting it in place when there is a curve downwards in the film when it goes in the holder. I think I might even have put it the wrong way up previously so that it flattens down better when the cover is closed, and it can then be flipped in PS. Yesterday's film currently under a heavy book to flatten it more, so I'll maybe try scanning it the other way tonight.

I got mine second hand (with a BetterScanning holder) but my standard holder doesn't have that either, and to be honest that mask doesn't really look like it'll be doing anything in terms of actually flattening the film. It looks more like a way to achieve a neater crop on the edges on the negs.

Thanks Lloyd, it's reassuring that I don't seem to be missing these bits. I've just rescanned the negs back to front and flipped them in PS, and the scans are clearly sharper than doing it the right way round. Can't beat a cheap/free solution. (y)

I'm another v700 (and V850) user, both bought new, who didn't get any masks with the film holders. I've been using Epson flatbeds for years and haven't seen these masks before.

As mentioned in #5 above, here's a rescanned shot of Loch Ness from Dores beach. It's awash with people taking photos every day, but the light changes a lot. This was my first roll through the Yashicamat 124G since it came back from being fettled by Miles Whitehead. It's 2011 Acros in ID-11.
2018-04-18-0010-copy-spotted-tp.jpg

My V850 had no extra bits when I bought it from new.
This is probably old news but, ignore the internet telling you the film holders are defective and do not try to modify them.

I don’t recall there being any extra bits when I bought my 750 secondhand.

At 1:40, after talking about the gaps, he says, "therefore, I made a custom film holder, or a custom scanner mask".

You're absolutely right, I had missed him saying that. Mystery now solved. (y)

I have a V700 and the flatness of medium format film is a problem so I cut out some think black plastic rectangles from Fuji Instax Wide dark slide material and if the film is bad I clamp them into the holder at the bottom edge. The pieces are the same width as the film so they flatten the bottom edge in the same way as the film holder clamps the top edge. If necessary I can put one under and one over the training edge of the film, out of frame of course. This helps to cure the worst of the film bow but doesn't make it perfectly flat.

Back