Any forum members with Parkinson’s?

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

I don't have Parkinson's but I do have Multiple Sclerosis and whilst I only took up photography after my diagnosis, its progression did affect my photography to the extent that I know longer indulge.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Parkinson's so I don't know how much the symptoms vary between sufferers butI suspect that, as in MS, it can be different for everyone.

I wish you all the best going forwards and hope you are able to continue gaining please from your hobby for as long as is possible.

All the best to you both.

Maybe the disabled photographers society could be a source of information?

A friend of mine has it and basically has had to give up photography and most other things . Do what you can while you can it won’t improve sorry

If so has it affected how you approach photography?

I am recently diagnosed early stage nothing massively life changing but obviously not going away.

interested in real world sufferers thoughts.

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

My mum in law has Parkinsons, so not a photographer, but we have some experience in dealing with it.

The symptoms can be vastly different for all sufferers though. It's been very slow in progressing for my mum in law, her shakes aren't so bad, but her mobility decreased. She's slower, shuffles more than walks and gets tired very easily. But she is in her 70s as well.

I imagine you'll have some local support groups and hopefully a dedicated Parkinson's nurse?

My mother was diagnosed with it and retired a year early. As others have said, there is no cure, only as to how fast it progresses. Perhaps the unkindest thing said regarding someone with pd that the tremors were the result of alcoholism

https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/ Site for those who have it, and support for friends and relatives

Long time no speak..

Well it turned out my early diagnosis nothing major turned an aggressive form progressing quite quick so in September I was put on Sinemet+ but am still having problems so currently trying to get that sorted.

Tremor is always apparent so holding a camera has gone but I have a very good camera phone so still walk and take pics with my left hand.

Cannot play guitar or keyboard anymore but luckily can still bash the drums.

Also in Sept DVLA issued me a 3 year restricted licence and last month I gave up geared bike and a got myself a little moped.

I can still work at the minute (with adjustmemts) work have been awesome with occupational health and HR being great.

Had a fall a couple of weeks ago which gave me a corker of a bump on my right temple, it was a good one.

Gosh Strumstrum sorry to read that but good to know you're switching things about and cracking on.

Might be worth getting in touch with the NABD - National Association of Bikers with a Disability. There are also bigger scooter type bikes than mopeds should you want to do a Tom Cruise...

My mother-in-law had Parkinson's, she was diagnosed in her late 60's, she lived with it until she was 94, some days her tremors were hardly noticeable, others more so, but she wasn't going to let that get to her....a right sturdy bird she was. Having said that she couldn't take a snap before diagnosis, let alone after! There are drugs out there that will help (and dare I mention cannabis, don't ignore it, do a bit of research into it;) A GP friend suggested it to us, we used CBD oil and the result was staggering, we just never let on what it was to her ).

Back