Any gardening advice?

Me too.
I was expecting a jungle.
It looks lovely.
Yes, it does actually, especially in the sunshine.

Yes, there are lots of brambles, especially along the walls but I'm hopefully going to have blackberry and apple pie in the freezers for the winter.

The pine trees are a nuisance but are a permanent fixture unfortunately.

Last edited:
And brambles are particularly good for wildlife since they have leaves through the winter. I seem to remember there are more species (sub species?) than you can shake a stick at too.

hopefully going to have blackberry and apple pie in the freezers for the winter.
Well that's a result right there (y)

The pines are listed?

Yes, it does actually, especially in the sunshine.

Yes, there are lots of brambles, especially along the walls but I'm hopefully going to have blackberry and apple pie in the freezers for the winter.

The pine trees are a nuisance but are a permanent fixture unfortunately.
Hey, learn to love your pines, they have rights too :)

The pines are listed?

TPOs are a royal PITA. Mum and Dad had 3 massive conifers in their front garden and had to get permission to get dangerously dangling branches removed. Trying to get the trees "serviced" properly to ensure that the chances of branches snapping off were reduced to a minimum necessitated approval from the DNP and the use of one of their registered tree surgeons.

TPOs are a royal PITA. Mum and Dad had 3 massive conifers in their front garden and had to get permission to get dangerously dangling branches removed. Trying to get the trees "serviced" properly to ensure that the chances of branches snapping off were reduced to a minimum necessitated approval from the DNP and the use of one of their registered tree surgeons.

Out local chaps are surprisingly good about this. As long as you don't use cowboys they pretty much approve anything if we ask nicely and they are always happy to pop over if we need advice.

BTW under the terms of Kent TPOs, if they were dangling "dangerously" then you can remove them.

Dartmoor National Park are a law unto themselves.

Having seen your photos Kevin I'd leave quite a lot of it as it is. Perhaps take out some of the brambles to allow other plants to grow, or work on small sections of brambles over a number of years.

Agree with Stewart - brambles are tough and getting rid of them is a right pain (it is pretty much impossible to stuff the stems into a sack) and if you have the space and local bye laws allow it, burning them on site is, perhaps, the easiest option.

The bees are a bonus.

Dave

TPOs are a royal PITA

We had a row of mixed broadleafed trees with TPO's at the back of us, only about a metre away from our fence (neighbours trees, not ours) & being south facing when they came into leaf it was like someone had turned the lights off! :(
Over the first 4-5 yrs they slowly got `poorly` :whistle: until they were eventually removed 1 by 1. We now have the sunniest garden on the Close :D

CameraZOOM-20170811114139613.jpgCameraZOOM-20170811114203855.jpgCameraZOOM-20170811114128506.jpgCameraZOOM-20170811114203855.jpg

This is some of what I want rid of to replace with wild flowers, shrubs etc.

Personally, in the area under the trees, I'd heave up as much of the ivy as possible (to stop it getting up the trees as well as to clear the ground) and stick some Cyclamen in. I'd remove most of the little tree seedlings as well. Stack the fallen branches as shelter for those species that like it.

the two two trees i can see in photo are yews, probable very old trees, great wood for wood turning, and many years ago for making bows.
Yes, two wonderful yews there and won't be going anywhere [emoji106]

The pines are further back - they are the real problem as nothing is growing under them.

The ivy is cut back from the trees, but needs controlling on the ground. I'm leaving it on the walls - probably all that keeps them standing [emoji6]

Back