Beginner Any general feedback would be great!

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Fairly new to all this photography business, only really started having interest come the start of September, when I started the photography course at college. I'm going to leave a link to my Flickr page which has about 30 shots of a couple of street photography shoots I've attempted. Some of the work in there isn't great but I've uploaded it just to document my progress, but I think they are a couple of decent images in there.

Any general feedback would be great and immensely appreciated, thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/109352374@N02/

Hi Daniel and welcome to TP. You have some good street shots in your flickr, not an easy genre to take on. I like the ones with the eye contact. Have not done much street shooting myself, carry on the good work and post up some images.(y)

If you want feedback please take some time and pick out some photos you'd like some feedback on and post them in the appropriate sections...there is no point even trying to give feedback over an entire photo stream :(

Think a little more about what you are trying to achieve from the subject. Clearly some of your "victims" were uncomfortable with being photographed, man in toy shop and woman in shopping centre. I always think that street photography should be unobtrusive but engaging. Also think a bit more about the scene. Potentially my favourite shot is girl with dog, buy having a disembodied arm poking it in the face does nothing. Some of them I don't think do anything. Blurred old lady outside the bank it looks like a blair witch mugging, old ladies having tea looks like a collection of cotton wool balls on a naked snooker table and is horrendously underexposed, and man struggling with technology 1 and 2 are nothing more then snapshots. Potentially lady on phone could be a good image but you need to be able to see expression and emotion - a suggestive smile on the phone to a loved one etc.

Have another bash, but think more about composition, keeping the horizon level, not clipping vital parts and how to make the scene feel more natural and portray real life. In addition, exploring how the white balance can reduce colour casts and either warm or cool a scene would be of massive benefit.

Hope this helps!

I am not to sure but a lot of theses seem to be shot from the hip ?,the composition just doesn't work in most of them.

:)

I'm no expert but I would agree with the above RE subject. Have a think about what you want your image to be and look at composition techniques rather than the grab and shoot approach. This way you'll be able to tell a stronger story with your imagery.

Good luck! (y)

Cheers for all the feedback guys, as I previously said all is appreciated. Yes many of these were shot from the hip, mainly down to nerves I suppose, but Street is a difficult subject so practice makes perfect and the only way is to head back out with maybe a bit more of a plan of what to look for, rather than just waiting to see what I can find.

Here a few of mine all shot with the camera to eye,and close in

[URL=http://s1098.photobucket.com/user/simonblue1/media/P6262199.jpg.html]
DSC_3462.jpg
[/URL]
DSC_3528.jpg

Last edited:
Back