Any good starter developing/printing kits out there?

• Thread starter reddeathdrinker
  • Start date
R

reddeathdrinker

Sod it, I said to myself - I remember getting to develop film and printing photos with my dad when I was 9 or 10, so it can't be that hard to get back into?

So, starting from scratch... Are there any "reputable" starter kits out there(for BW only initially!), or is it just best to pick up the bits and bobs individually? Not looking to print any bigger than 8*10 yet;)

Have a look on E-bay ,I set up complete darkroom piece by piece and saved a fortune .
Great bargains on enlargers ,timers ,focus ,finders ,trays etc .
A decent darkroom set up should cost no more than around £200. Spend most on enlarger and lenses.
Good luck

Yep, I got a starter B&W kit but to be honest there are lots of bits and pieces I don't actually need in there so I'd say buy what you need. I have measuring cylinders that I don't need and trays that I don't use. I also bought a water heater that I instantly blew up so now I just add a little warm water when I'm diluting my developer and check the temp as I go. If I make it up 2deg warmer it's just about perfect by the time I use it. If you buy it from the same place you should also save on the postage.

I was thinking about this myself, and looking at firstcall-photographic between this and this it looks like a good basic setup, I'm sorely tempted. You'd still need an enlarger, but with new ones weighing in at around £190, Ebay still seems the best bet for that.

Back