Any guides on Geotagging

Name
Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm interested in geotagging my photos, what are the options available?

I know you can plug in a GPS unit to the camera, I've also read you can use a GPS device to recordd the location every 5 min or so and then match up the data with the photos at home.

If you go to the zoo for a day, is it easy to add the location to a group of photos or do you have to do it one by one?

How much are the battery GPS units that you carry around I'm your pocket? Can they be charged by USB?

I've got the d3100

The pocket GPS seems promising, does the plug in GPS use the cameras battery? Is it a big drain? Does it sit on the hot shoe?

I use an AMOD gps logger which runs off AAA batteries. It clips on my bag, or coat, and logs my position once a second. When I get home my workflow is this:

1) Download the GPS log files from the GPS logger, it connects on a MINI USB and is seen as a drive, there is just one folder and it contains the log files.
2) Download photos from camera to computer
3) Open HoudahGeo and import all the photos I've just taken (raw and or jpeg)
4) Geotag the photos, the computer compares the time the image was taken in the exif data with the log of where you were at that point
5) Update the exif data with the location, HoudahGeo does this
6) Work on the raws in Capture One. Now the GPS location is written into the exif data it transfers with the file so if I create a PSD file it is still there, create a jpeg for web upload it is still there etc. If I upload to flickr the location is recognised from the exif and the shot mapped accordingly.

The unit itself is about the size of a box of matches, I've attached mine to a carabiner so it is always attached to either me or my bag. Batteries last a couple of days shooting on average.

I use a cheap GPS logger (which connects via USB) and then use Jeffrey Friedl's geoencode plugin for Lightroom to munge the GPS data with the photos.

So it is quite a bit extra to add geotagging, with the plug in camera module, it does it automatically?

I've said it once, I'll say it again :)

Geosetter is free, works both with data from gps loggers and phone apps, also works with google maps so if you don't have the gps coords but know where the picture was taken from, you can tag it directly from the map. It also lets you do some useful EXIF changes (e.g. if you forgot to change the time on your camera when on holiday or when the clocks changed). It's easy to use and excellent!

Geotagging folks, any of you know of a piece of software/site like TripperMap that can zoom in closer and with more details?

I tend to use Google Earth - the GPS exports a file that can be read by GE....

I don't really want to use Google maps because i'm not a fan of their look, the TripperMap maps are customiseable (once you pay a subscription but it's still a lot cheaper than any solution I've found to customising the appearance of Google maps.)

Actually for some reason when I looked at Gmaps I tried it using the map, I wonder how it'd look on the satellite image/hybrid.

use geosetter with your smart phone. You can get free apps that tack your route and geosetter merges that data with your images (guessing in the gaps). Its good and only a few metres out at worst

If you have a smart phone with GPS then there is probably an app you can download, however I bought one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/gps-travel-tracker-227620 which I attach to my bag. You can have it on to give you a track of your journey, or you can ping your position when you take a photo. As long as you make sure your camera and the i-gotU are time syncronized it will tag everything when you download using the software provided. You can see results and tutorials at www.a-trip.com. Alternately if you know where you took your pics, use Picassa (Google's free editing software) where you place them on Google Earth/Maps and the co-ords are attached automatically.

Last edited:
Back