Any hints how to process like this please?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Ok, quick run through and probably a little heavy handed. But basically what I would do using lightroom.

First, basic edits for tones... pulling the blacks is key. Also +saturation and -vibrance separates the colors a bit more.

basic.jpg

Then a tone curve to create the matt/faded black kind of effect.

curve.jpg

Then color grading/ split toning.

color.jpg

Of course more could be done selectively (adding vignette, etc)... and each image is a little different; adjust to taste.

Last edited:
Ok, quick run through and probably a little heavy handed. But basically what I would do using lightroom.

First, basic edits for tones... pulling the blacks is key. Also +saturation and -vibrance separates the colors a bit more.

View attachment 345968

Then a tone curve to create the matt/faded black kind of effect.

View attachment 345969

Then color grading/ split toning.

View attachment 345970

Of course more could be done selectively (adding vignette, etc)... and each image is a little different; adjust to taste.
Thanks very much, appreciate the walkthrough and will definitely bear this in mind when processing (y)

I think they could well be shot dark. Certainly a drop in shadows rather than a contrast adjustment. Obviously clipped blacks & a use of selective colours in hsl & split toning. First ones shows the typical teal/orange split, the second looks more blue/pink though.

I think they could well be shot dark. Certainly a drop in shadows rather than a contrast adjustment. Obviously clipped blacks & a use of selective colours in hsl & split toning. First ones shows the typical teal/orange split, the second looks more blue/pink though.
Thanks, when you say teal/orange split are you referring to the highlights and shadows tints? I've not really invested time into LR's new split toning with the colour charts rather than sliders.

Yes, split toning for highlights & shadows.

I have sliders..... LR5.
Thanks, Sliders we’re much easier for me in terms of cross processing.

They might also have a B&W layer set to a lighting mode... sent it over to PS, auto B&W layer settings, soft light blending mode, 50% opacity.

View attachment 346004
Thanks for this, but beyond my scope at the moment but will look into it (y)

I don't use any Adobe products but this is what I'd do for the first one.

1. Use an exposure gradient

2. Make an HSL adjustment layer and push up the oranges.

3. Increase global contrast to suit

4. Make an exposure mask and paint it in where needed, in this case the guy on his own actually looks like dodging and burning has been done. If you end up dulling down the misty glow from the sun you can paint in the same colour and use a heavy Gaussian blur on a new layer and lower the opacity if needed.

The second one.

Decrease contrast, add vignette, maybe try reducing saturation via an HSL layer or reduce global saturation, add a colour cast to suit or use a colour cast gradient.

@snerkler did you try to contact Brian on Flickr to ask him directly?
No I didn't to be honest as when I've done this in the past the user wasn't too polite and wanted to keep his technique unique.

The composition of the shots also includes more foreground for the framing of the object, that foreground blur is important. Easy to achieve the processing look pulling levels in top and bottom on PS, reduce saturation and color adjust the mid reds to a yellower tone, vignette layer over the top

Back