Any ice Hockey togs about?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I did a couple of Blackburn Hawks Ice hockey games for the local paper last year.

Long story short I am now the official photographer for the club starting this season (mid sep)

These where taken with a 1DMKII and its max shutter of around 250. I am hoping wiht the MKIII high iso I will get eben bnetter shots... it really is dimly lit..

Anyone else doing Ice hockey?

ih_man_1.jpg

ih_man_2.jpg

ih_man_3.jpg

ih_man_4.jpg

ih_man_5.jpg

ih_man_6.jpg

ih_man_7.jpg

ih_man_8.jpg

I did quite a bit last season but unsure as to if I'm shooting any this season :shrug:

I'll be back to my 'old tricks' doing Ice Hockey here in Finland, when the season starts next month.
Started to do a little already on the pre-season tournaments.

Might even pop for few games in the U.K over the winter as well... got some friends in Edinburgh so might catch the Capitals over there...

The Arena you are shooting at really must be dim if you only got 1/250 on the shutter. What sort of ISO did you need to use for that one?

Of course depending on where your shots are going (web or print), high ISO and noise might not even be a problem...
Last season I did hockey with my 400D and 1D MKI - got MKII and MKIIn for this season. So just waiting to get to the proper rinks in three weeks time, and away from the rinks where lighting is worse than in an average home..*hehe*

By the way Tony, when you shoot your hockey shots, do you shoot behind the glass or do you get to go to an area where there is no glass between you and the ice?
The drop you can make in ISO and so on is HUUUGGGEEE when you take the glass away from the equation! And seeing as you do this for the team... why not ask to be allowed to an area somewhere between the benches or something....
(Although you need to be a little careful so you won't get a puck on your camera or face... But I've done it for few years and so far ((knock on wood)) have not had an accident).

X-it

The Arena you are shooting at really must be dim if you only got 1/250 on the shutter. What sort of ISO did you need to use for that one?

That was at iso 1600 and under exposed.. I had to rescue them all in photoshop.. so yes you can imagine how dim it is.. I have seen your work before.. I could only dream of such light :)

That was using a 1dmkII . However for this season I have a mkIII and the higher iso capabilities will make a world of difference for exactly this type of photography

By the way Tony, when you shoot your hockey shots, do you shoot behind the glass or do you get to go to an area where there is no glass between you and the ice?

I was shooting through very dirty plexi.. I did take a towel to clean it but it made no difference.. very old and dirty... But that was for press. this season as the club photographer I will be in the area between the teams.. no plexi and level view... so better camera and better clear position. Pictures should improve greatly from the ones shown here:) I am also sending pictures for the press so they will be happier this season :)

It's a couple of weeks before it starts and I ahve to do the team picture and head shots first. But looking forward to it as I only did a couple of games last year

That was at iso 1600 and under exposed.. I had to rescue them all in photoshop.. so yes you can imagine how dim it is.. I have seen your work before.. I could only dream of such light :)

That was using a 1dmkII . However for this season I have a mkIII and the higher iso capabilities will make a world of difference for exactly this type of photography

I was shooting through very dirty plexi.. I did take a towel to clean it but it made no difference.. very old and dirty... But that was for press. this season as the club photographer I will be in the area between the teams.. no plexi and level view... so better camera and better clear position. Pictures should improve greatly from the ones shown here:) I am also sending pictures for the press so they will be happier this season :)

It's a couple of weeks before it starts and I ahve to do the team picture and head shots first. But looking forward to it as I only did a couple of games last year

*Phew* ISO 1600 and still only getting 1/250... *OUCH!*
Although some plexi I've seen in some of these pre-season rinks... well I don't think you'd be able to get a single shot through them.. full of puck marks and so on. Maybe I a just too spoiled with the clean plexi and good lighting of the Finnish arenas.

But I have seen some of your footie shots with the MKIII on high ISO.. so judging by that you should be getting better shots out of the MKIII than you might've gotten on the MKII.

So, looking forward to seeing some hockey shots from you during the winter!! Need to 'compare notes' and see what we do differently. Once the picture taking starts in earnest.

X-it

Shots are very impressive.
Look sharp and bright. Tried a few myself in Edinburgh - total disaster.
Will rank up the iso this season, now I've got a D300.
Be happy with anything near your shots.
look forward to your "pro shots !"

I shoot a few at Belfast Giants games, but since I like watching the whole game I sit up in the sky of the arena right at half way line and snap away when I am allowed, the heavies don't like professional cameras although most of last seasons ones where taken with a simple fujifilm s8000

I struggle to get most shots due to the lighting as well but have a few shots up on flickr

2205138352_b8c76b2fa2.jpg

2204314263_e9ef5ff7a3.jpg

Well I ahve been informed tonight that due to health/safety stuff.. no one is allowed in the gap between the dugouts... theres also talk that at all venues seating behind there will be closed as well.

So its through the very nasty horrible plexi thats seen far better days or take the 300 up into the seats.. probably do a half of each game for first couple of games to see what gives best results.

Not good at all :(

I have access all areas around the rink but choose to shoot through the plexi using a 300mm & a 70-200 and yes the plexi has certainly seen better days.....

2206266124_af2ee7d9c5_o.jpg

2319672698_e733b16c9f_o.jpg

2239014612_b7d9969303_o.jpg

Be intereting to hear how you go on with the MKIII (y)

Cheers Ian.

I didn't realise there was so much ice hockey played in the UK, I've fancied going to a game for a while, so going to check out the Coventry team soon!

for a sport its about as cheap and cheerful as you can get :)

Well, 'cheap and cheerful' in the U.K

Come to Finland and you'll find the roles reversed between hockey and footy.

Although football here ain't that cheerful - point proven by last nights 'thrilling' 0-0 in freezing weather in Kuopio where I was photographing.

Back to the hockey subject - got some of my first games of the pre-season covered. Will post few snaps in the coming days.

Tony (KIPAX) - Not sure what the stands are like where you are going to take pictures. But you can sometimes get better pics from there than you do from behind the plexi.
Also it allows you to use decent ISO and get a good shutter speed still.
Sometimes I take a period from the entrance to the stands, so to get another perspective to the pics. But still, nothing beats being between the benches.

sick about not ablk to go between benches.... a 300 through the plexi. seriously? hmmmm my 300 is my best lens... will have to try that.

I did try from the seats when I had the sigma 120-300 but too much distance at a forced iso 3200... ya have to fill the frame with iso 3200.. however the MKIII and a canon 300 prime should be better..

2 weeks to go.. cant wait to try it ... might try to get to hockey practice as I need the shooting practice :)

I'll be shooting football this weekend then I will be straight off to the hockey (As a fan) so may see how the Canon 70-200 F4/L does unless security tell me otherwise.

In Elite league circles they are affectionately known as Chaventry Blaze.

I had the dubious pleasure of going with a friend a few years back to see a play-off between Coventry and Guildford in the now defunct British National League.

That was fun. Ish.

Great sport though. Shame I'm not near a team any more. When I was there I wandered over to see Haringey Greyhounds a couple of times - no camera in those days but also at the time no plexi either - just a net.

Well I am going thursday night.. 10.15pm to 12 midnight is practice night.. so I am there finding out the best setting, position and lens ect ready for start of season.. will post some on friday:)

Back