Any idea what's caused this problem?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I got my latest scans back from FilmDev and they're all fine apart from this image. Any ideas what's caused this warped part of the image at all? I don't think it's camera shake as parts of the image are sharp. Just seems very strange as the mug certainly isn't that shape!

Just curious whether you opted for Noritsu or Frontier scans and what the film was? (some films have more of a tendency to curl up than others)

The film was likely bowed when it was scanned

It could also be a temporary slowing down of the scanner speed part way through the scan.

Just curious whether you opted for Noritsu or Frontier scans and what the film was? (some films have more of a tendency to curl up than others)

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I might need to drop them an email and get them rescanned. It's only affected that image out of a roll of 36. Retune, I went for Noritsu scans and the film was Ilford XP2 Super

Looks like the neg holder was moved a little as the scanner head was 1/2 way across it. Did similar once when I was using a ScanDual IV.

Easy way to check; look at the negative. If the cup is that shape on the negative then it's some sort of camera or operator fault, if its right on the neg it can only be a scanning issue.

I got my latest scans back from FilmDev and they're all fine apart from this image. Any ideas what's caused this warped part of the image at all? I don't think it's camera shake as parts of the image are sharp. Just seems very strange as the mug certainly isn't that shape!

But is it now a more creative/artistic result than a non-deformed one? ;)

'Using a combination of analogue photography, scanner warping, and gender theory, Richard explores how Patriarchy distorts our view of society. In Cups on a Table, elongation is a bold metaphor for the unequal distribution of resources between the sexes.'
Or the alternative take, which discounts the patriarchal gender-economic imbalance hypothesis, but instead strives to encapsulate the concepts of social inclusion and regional diversity: "Eee, Richard lad, some bugger's made a right cock of that, aven't they?!"

Last edited:
But is it now a more creative/artistic result than a non-deformed one? ;)

Maybe, in some sort of surrealist way :LOL:

'Using a combination of analogue photography, scanner warping, and gender theory, Richard explores how Patriarchy distorts our view of society. In Cups on a Table, elongation is a bold metaphor for the unequal distribution of resources between the sexes.'

Or the alternative take, which discounts the patriarchal gender-economic imbalance hypothesis, but instead strives to encapsulate the concepts of social inclusion and regional diversity: "Eee, Richard lad, some bugger's made a right cock of that, aven't they?!"

Orrrr I was just trying to take a nice photo of me and my other half's coffee cups :LOL::LOL::LOL: Anyway I've got the negatives back now and they're fine so it will need to be rescanned at some point.

For some people the glass is half full, for other's it's half empty; but I have a different outlook... for me the glass is not big enough! :beer::D

Back