Any idea when Canon will release the G13?

The G12 was out not that long ago so there may be a bit of a wait.

I'd look at the new Olympus E-PL2. Similar size but interchangeable lenses.

So would I Andy...

I recently got a LX5 which is regularly compared to the Canon Gxx series and does very well in review against them but I personally think that the pictures aren't as sharp as those from the LX2 I recently sold. I'm therefore losing confidence in these high mp count small sensor cameras and believe that fewer mp and larger sensors is the way forward.

So would I Andy...

I recently got a LX5 which is regularly compared to the Canon Gxx series and does very well in review against them but I personally think that the pictures aren't as sharp as those from the LX2 I recently sold. I'm therefore losing confidence in these high mp count small sensor cameras and believe that fewer mp and larger sensors is the way forward.

I have the Canon s95 which in my opinion gives super sharp images especially for such a tiny camera.

I have just bought a Sony Nex 5 which is good but the Sony kit lens isn't as good as say the Panasonic 20mm f1.7. I have seen images from the NEX 5 fitted with Zeiss and other quality lenses and the images are stunning! I have a Carl Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon just waiting for it's E-mount adapter for the Sony which should prove the NEX a great camera...fingers crossed.

and believe that fewer mp and larger sensors is the way forward

I totally agree with you there!!!! If the Canon 40D was lighter i would have that like a shot. 10mp and always super quality images when fitted with nice glass!

Last edited:
G9 - 08/07
G10 -09/08
G11 -08/09
G12 -09/10

Seeing a pattern here?

Hint: Photokina is every other year in September!

Ah bugger so til the end of the year then!

I have briefly looked at the others but I dont want interchangeable lenses. Purely to stop me spending money on more lenses! I may bite the bullet and just order a G12 soon- I was hoping the G13 would be out soon because I was hoping it would have zoom whilst recording and maybe a couple more mp...

I very much doubt that it'll have more MP. Canon stepped back from that in the release of the G11.

does anyone else think that it'll move over to a CMOS sensor in the G13? it's already in the top ixus (300hs) and because of video I hope they add decent microphones for the video. oh and a viewfinder that showed the 28mm view :D

They will need more mp to sell it, I understand and agree with the less mp is often better argument, but 10 is too low to be competitive in tomorrows market. There's a couple of things I want to see before I buy one hence the G13 question!

The only company that would seem to agree with you on a high end CCD camera is Sigma who have held to 14Mp with the DP2s, and possibly Fuji.

Everyone else has backed off or held to 10Mp or under, because the sensor size just can't cope with the density levels that 10Mp+ requires.

I'd be very interested to see if they decide to go for a larger sensor in CMOS format though.

What is the fundamental difference between CCD and CMOS?

In practical terms, CCDs are found in compacts because they can use sensor-switching for high shutter speeds - no super-fast mechanical shutter needed, with all it's associated problems. X-sync at all speeds too (y) But they don't seem to deliver quite the same image quality for DSLRs - Nikon and Canon dropped CCD a few years ago.

We'll not see a G13 for a while - the G12 only got onto the shops in November. I think it's a really good compact camera, might get one myself. Had a G7 until it was nicked.

I can't see that a G13 would be very much better. The G-series has evolved over a few models now, and has got everything pretty much down. No doubt they'll tweak it here and there, but anything really significant would take it away from the basic concept, and turn it into something different.

FWIW, I think moving from a 40D to a G12 is a step too far. It's a compact, with a tiny sensor, and all the advantages/disadvantges that go with that. Maybe look at a MILC like the Pano GF1, or Olympus, Samsung, Sony - something with at least a half decent sized sensor!

I agree with Richard. I had one and the fart arsing around of trying to work out how to change the aperture or s/s etc in the menu system was too much hassle (for me, anyway). Also you will not get a shallow depth of field even if set athe same as your DSLR because of sensor size etc. But hey! I bought it for a good quality P&S to take family holiday snaps and the IQ was exceptional, even though I used it on green square mode. Pictures were a little too saturated, but can be toned down with P&P. I'll show you an example soon.

EDIT: Full photo and a big crop:

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0403digizoom.jpg

Last edited:
I hear a lot about the GF1, but I dont want to be sucked into the "I need this lens" thing again! Do you know how much lens choice and what average prices they are with the GF1? I'm guessing it will be cheaper than EF & EFS lenses, but still not cheap...

I hear a lot about the GF1, but I dont want to be sucked into the "I need this lens" thing again! Do you know how much lens choice and what average prices they are with the GF1? I'm guessing it will be cheaper than EF & EFS lenses, but still not cheap...

So you want to spend money on a new system, to stop you spending money on lenses? :thinking:

You could always get a tube of Araldite and glue the lens on. Or maybe the problem is not the camera... ;)

I was hoping the G13 would be out soon because I was hoping it would have zoom whilst recording and maybe a couple more mp...

If you go here you can have a read up on the chdk firmware. I used one for a while on my S95. It enabled zooming in video mode. Be aware though that you can here the zoom motor in the video playback. Ive since stopped using it. It does take a bit of faffing about with sd cards, but you do nothing permanent to the camera.

If you go here you can have a read up on the chdk firmware. I used one for a while on my S95. It enabled zooming in video mode. Be aware though that you can here the zoom motor in the video playback. Ive since stopped using it. It does take a bit of faffing about with sd cards, but you do nothing permanent to the camera.

Of note, my S95 zooms without the chdk fix.

So you want to spend money on a new system, to stop you spending money on lenses? :thinking:

You could always get a tube of Araldite and glue the lens on. Or maybe the problem is not the camera... ;)

No- I was thinking of replacing my 40D and lenses with a smaller cheaper camera with a fixed lens- so I dont get drawn into spending money on lenses- because it is not possible to do so with a G12.

I enquired about a GF1 because everybody seems to rave about them and was wondering what it would cost for a decent kit to replace my current stuff- but I have since seen that the lenses are expensive, and I'd rather have a camera with a fixed zoom lens so I can grab my camera and go rather than have to take a bag full of acessories with me!

Because I'm considering replacing my whole kit with a smaller camera without interchangeable lenses I want to get about the best I can, hence wondering whether to wait for a G13. I find it slightly irritating that several reviews say that the S95 gives exactly the same results as the much bigger G12, because they have the same sensor. I want to have all the controls the G12 has at my fingertips though- so I'm not looking for a p&s where to have to go into menus etc to change anything.

Last edited:
Can you not change the hack so it uses digital zoom rather than optical so the noise isn't an issue?

Also looking online some people seem to prefer the G10 over the 12, realistic or failing to change habits do you think?

Can you not change the hack so it uses digital zoom rather than optical so the noise isn't an issue?

Also looking online some people seem to prefer the G10 over the 12, realistic or failing to change habits do you think?

It does digitally zoom as standard while using video, Canon have disabled the optical zoom to cut out the noise of the motors being caught on the mic.

Also you will not get a shallow depth of field

I disagree with that. Why cant you get a narrow DOF? I can even with my S95 stepped down.
Its all down to distance between camera and subject, and a subject and background a s much as anything.

Oh,and if anyone wants to swap their G12 for my 40D let me know ;-)

Last edited:
I disagree with that. Why cant you get a narrow DOF? I can even with my S95 stepped down.
Its all down to distance between camera and subject, and a subject and background a s much as anything.

Oh,and if anyone wants to swap their G12 for my 40D let me know ;-)

You can't get narrow depth of field because of the crop factor, which is about 5x on most compacts. That makes f/4 equvalent to f/20 in terms of DoF, relative to full frame (DoF = f/number x crop factor). That won't give shallow DoF in anything but an extreme close up.

Crop factor on the S95 or G-series is 4.7x, so in DoF terms even its f/2-4.9 lens translates to f/9.4-23.

You can't get narrow depth of field because of the crop factor, which is about 5x on most compacts. That makes f/4 equvalent to f/20 in terms of DoF, relative to full frame (DoF = f/number x crop factor). That won't give shallow DoF in anything but an extreme close up.

Crop factor on the S95 or G-series is 4.7x, so in DoF terms even its f/2-4.9 lens translates to f/9.4-23.

I was going to reply, but not confident enough with my (lack of) writing skills to explain. Thanks Richard. (y) ;)

Well these are good enough for me. Non are what i would call extreme close up and the first two aren't shot wide open. Not particularly narrow but the effect is there.
i'm sure all though numbers mean something but i dont see subject/background distance in those figures (sorry if im missing them).

I know you will never get the creamy DSLR f/1.2 look but i was replying got a blanket statement that you cant get a narrow DOF with a compact.

4771695186_81c3e51936.jpg

4689950281_50fb863b1f.jpg

5057601675_18e3dbf527.jpg

These were with a FZ38. longer zoom i know but this helped.
4721524890_4f351c104c.jpg

4720873875_1048ce6308.jpg

Last edited:
We could argue about what is "extreme close up" but at max zoom, max aperure and within a few feet shallow DoF is possible with some compacts but... why not embrace the greater DoF and use a compact like a rangefinder, set the focus manually and shoot away. The advantage is that as you don't have to focus shutter lag is minimal and everything is in acceptable DoF. I like using my LX5 this way.

Last edited:
Im really not trying argue with anyone and didnt intend to derail this thread.
I just saw the statement that it cant be done, without any other info, and i wanted to show it can, under certain circumstances.
I didnt say what they were other than various distances between camera/subject and background are very relevant. As been shown by Richard it will depend on a lot of things and its not easy to achieve in normal shooting situations, but when these things all come together then you get a narrow DOF with certain compacts.

Ill let the thread get back on track and leave now. Sorry all.

I agree Dave, it most certainly can be done. It just needs a little thought.

I've used this shot before in the same discussion...

cpt1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm still thinking about the downgrade as I haven't used my 40D for ages and I've a lot of money sitting there doing nothing.

I've been watching Google and finally today I found this link- which could be lies lies lies or the beginning of actual reviews and facts on the G12 replacement! (I know is mentions rumours and has a pic of an S95...)

http://camera.downloadatoz.com/news...h-the-wait-features-release-date-preview.html

What do you think- real or not? I have to say I'm always sceptical about reviews especially of gear that hasn't even been seen before, as most of it is complete rubbish, but 12mp and CMOS sounds completely feasable to me?!

My heart has recently switched from a G12 to a Fuji X100 as a quality pocketable walkabout. Rather different animal, but very nice :)

Take a look - but you can't buy one of those either!

My heart has recently switched from a G12 to a Fuji X100 as a quality pocketable walkabout. Rather different animal, but very nice :)

Take a look - but you can't buy one of those either!

Thats a really nice looking camera- I love the aperture ring but pity no zoom, I know it's retro and makes you use what you have more with a fixed lens but for my general and everything sort of stuff I need it :(

Back