any ideas ?

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
View attachment 31840
was out yesterday first time out with my new 7dmk2 and i got home and check the pics i cant explain this one any ideas how it could have happened ?

Last edited by a moderator:
shutter speed far too slow and the Starling seems to agree lol

Les

i know the shutter speed was low but i had the camera set on a1servo and high rate of fire and i only got this one pic and i dont recall the starling doing the fan dance im sure it was almost stationary

had the camera set on a1servo and high rate of fire

Doesn't matter what focus option you use or the frame rate. It's just a case of the shutter speed not been fast enough to prevent motion blur as the bird shook it's head.

You'd be amazed how quick their movements can be.

Looking at your settings.....

Aperture: f5.6
Focal Length: 310mm
Shutter speed: 1/20
ISO: 100

.......your shutter speed is way to slow.

At 310mm I'd be looking for about 10 times that shutter speed so ISO 100 needs cranking right up.

Last edited:
I agree @ 310m I would suggest a shutter speed of at least that of the focal length- so 300th sec minimum- higher if you can - can be achieved by upping the ISO or opening the aperture of the lens

Les

why did i only get the one image when i was shooting high frame rate ? is that also down to slow shutter ?

why did i only get the one image when i was shooting high frame rate ? is that also down to slow shutter ?

you should get more than one image- Im not well up on 7D Mk2's

I went into my garden to get this shot- long lens & slow shutter speed - its almost a duplicate of yours

I upped the shutter speed to 1/1000th sec to get the same bird

DSC01895 by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Les

can you be absolutely sure you were though? I mean, can you be sure you didnt just trigger one shutter action and then release your finger, before starting again? Seriously, if you were sitting there for a while snapping off birds, its easy to either get the occasional single shot, or forget that there was a single frame when reviewing them back. The answer is, we can't know, we weren't there, the only way to check is to go an fire off a few more at high frame rate, at different shutter speeds and check it all works ok. Assuming it does, and my guess is it does, then just put it down to user error. ;)

can you be absolutely sure you were though? I mean, can you be sure you didnt just trigger one shutter action and then release your finger,

Agreed

If my finger is quick I sometimes get one shot when shooting AI Servo & 10 frames per second. Depends how much I've had to drink the night before. ;)

Last edited:
Same as the example from Les

Aperture f7.1
ISO 400
Focal Length 275mm
Shutter speed 1/320

Whilst that shutter speed was OK at that focal length for a stationary bird, the shutter speed wasn't fast enough to avoid motion blur.

Had I wanted to freeze that kind of motion I'd have been looking to either increase the ISO to 1600 or open up the aperture more to get a quicker resulting shutter speed. Where possible I favour pushing the ISO up as you may need f8 to get all of the bird within the depth of focus.

On your 7D2 you should be able to be brave with the ISO

Autumn Starling by dinners85, on Flickr

Last edited:
Agreed

If my finger is quick I sometimes get one shot when shooting AI Servo & 10 frames per second. Depends how much I've had to drink the night before. ;)

other way round with me, iffy night the night before and I get 3 when I wanted 1 :LOL:

thanks guys ive just been playing outside and yes im much happier it is firing off ok !!
it must be user error (n) im normally always right too thats why i couldnt understand it :)

Last edited:
thanks guys ive just been playing outside and yes im much happier it is firing off ok !!
it must be user error (n) im normally always right too thats why i couldnt understand it :)

I'm ALWAYS right :p:p:p:p

Staff Edit: Apart from when you are wrong!! :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back