Any insights about the London School of Photography

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking about taking some classes. Looking for advanced topics from a school that is highly regarded.

When I was thinking about taking some classes what I did was to check out which local photography courses did exhibitions of their students' work, and over the course of the next year, turn up at them, look at the photographs, and speak to the students. It was a very successful exploration. I decided that I'd be much better off reading books, web pages, going to photographic exhibitions, and joining up with local photographers who liked going out on photowalks, setting up studio sessions, or just evenings in the pub where we photographed each other's drinks. One pub was so engaged by our drinks photography efforts that they offered to keep feeding us different drinks if we'd photograph them and let them have the photographs :)

One of the most instructive exercises I engaged in all by myself was to find a really good photograph of a local view, landmark, building, statue, something that was always there, go there, try and copy the shot, work out why it wasn't so good, and try again.

You would be better off looking at the short courses run by the London College of Communication.

http://www.arts.ac.uk/lcc/courses/short-courses/
http://search.arts.ac.uk/s/search.html?collection=courses&profile=_default&f.Course+level|l=Short+Course&f.College|C=London+College+of+Communication&f.Subjects|F=Photography&f.Month+of+start|J=&query=&sort=adate&_ga=1.146401908.1349500936.1489746781

They are run by a first rate institute with a history going back to before WW2. I studied full time Photography there in its previous guise as the London College of Printing and Graphic Arts in the mid Fifties. It changed its name at various times on its route to University status.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Specifically, though, is there any reason why I should not consider LSP? Specifically, why would I be better off at UAL? I'm open to considering UAL, but would like to understand the rationale.

Chris's odessy sounds wonderful, but unfortunately I'm not in a situation where I can do that sort of thing.
I need to parachute into some classes then get back to my daily grind. :)

Last edited:
UAL is a small private school owned by a professional photographer. calling on a number of fellow photographers as part time trainers.
The stitching of his 360 x180 images of the school would put me off, if his other samples did not.
I can not see any reference to an official certification of his courses. Or to the value or moderation of the certificates that he offers.
His entire facilitates seem to be contained with in the one single studio workshop.
Seems all fur coat and no knickers to me.

Ual on the other hand is a large group of famous University Colleges that have taught many of the leading Artist, communicators, and Photographers and film makers, in the world. It has the widest range of facilities and equipment to be found anywhere. It has a proven track record in Photographic education and a reputation to match. All its instructors and technicians are fully qualified and working photographers.
Its certificates and degrees are respected and accepted in every country. both individually and as qualifications for further progression. It is one of the worlds top Group of Arts colleges.

Last edited:
Back