Scotland Any Locals On Here from Findhorn Bay area?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, talking to a close friend last week he told me that many years ago there where Osprey lining up at low tide to catch fish in Findhorn Bay just wondering is it still the same now and worth a visit next year?
Thank You, Russ.

No one on here at all from the North of Scotland that is into wildlife/bird photography?

I've spent a few happy hours in the hide at Aviemore - Gordon is a legend

strongly recommended

Dave

Not a local but ospreys nest at Loch Fleet and while there is a lot of potential fishing areas in between Loch Fleet and Findhorn, the 20 odd miles between the two isn't far for an osprey.

There are probably less well known nest sites, in addition to Loch Garten. I know of one in the NW that I haven't found a mention of anywhere and also seen an osprey over a sea loch on the west coast.

You could be lucky next year when they return from west Africa.

Dave

Reactions: RIR
Again not a local but a regular visitor, I don't know about lining up but there is a good chance of seeing one.

A couple of sites you might find helpful.

As mentioned by Tringa, Loch Fleet, near Golspie, and Loch Garten, close to Aviemore. There is also Loch of the Lowes, near Dunkeld.

Last edited:
Hi Russell, I live near Findhorn and have been photographing Ospreys for the last six years on the Moray coast.
I have only just joined the forum this evening.
Findhorn is a hit and miss location for Osprey due to the vast expanse of the bay. A better location is the mouth of the river Spey or river Lossie.
Both locations have benefits depending on time of day and wind direction.
Cheers, Liam

Hi Russell, I live near Findhorn and have been photographing Ospreys for the last six years on the Moray coast.
I have only just joined the forum this evening.
Findhorn is a hit and miss location for Osprey due to the vast expanse of the bay. A better location is the mouth of the river Spey or river Lossie.
Both locations have benefits depending on time of day and wind direction.
Cheers, Liam
Hi and welcome to the forum. Thank you very much for the information, maybe get back to you at a later date if OK as take it they are not there until Spring/early Summer? Thanks again.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Thank you very much for the information, maybe get back to you at a later date if OK as take it they are not there until Spring/early Summer? Thanks again.
Thank you, much appreciated. Yes feel free to get in touch nearer the time. I'd be happy to show you good vantage points.
We usually have our first Osprey around the first week of April then they slowly build to around 6-7 birds at Lossiemouth, 3-5 at Spey Bay and Findhorn has quite a few visiting birds
including the female from Loch Garten last year. Findhorn is possible to shoot them but you can't get as close as you do at Lossie thanks to the estuary being so narrow. You can walk up and down the river with them as they're so used to dog walkers and paddle boarders.

Back