Any new unused photography gear

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Have you any gear you bought just before or perhaps during lockdown you haven't had chance to use for its intended purpose, i bought a G9 and 100-400 for birding just two days before lockdown,just done a few flower shots in the garden with it.

I bought a drone with a 4K camera which was delivered just a few days before the lockdown. I thought I would wait for the weather to imprive before taking it out. It's all charged up and ready to go...

I bought a Sony a7Riv and a Sony 200-600mm G lens

Used it once at Slimbridge :(

Intrepid 10x8 - ordered just before lockdown, delivered during lockdown.

Had a new Nikon 500mm f/5.6 PF arrive just as the restrictions came in. Had it on a body a couple of times but not used in anger:(

GC

S/H Canon EOS 1 film cam, with 50mm lens. It's even got a film in it. Bar a couple of shots of my partner, I've not had chance to use it yet. Was hoping to do some portraits of friends etc.

Non-photographic: New Liverpool FC top. Was saving it to wear when Liverpool won the title... :popcorn:

My Voigtlander 50mm f2 has only been out of the house a few times and my Sony 20mm f1.8 hasn't been out the front gate yet.

i bought a G9 and 100-400 for birding.
I have the same combination which I bought mainly for airshow use two years ago. I then found out just how useful it is for other purposes. I'm sure you will too. ;)

Analogue thermometer G9 P1012188.JPG

Waves breaking at Sidmouth P1012637.jpg

Young woman on phone crossing in front of bus Exeter P1011092.JPG

Tuba player in Sidmouth P1011996.JPG

Sunset Weston Super Mare G9 P1010835.JPG

I bought a drone for road trip to Wales with the boys... now postponed of course

gah...

My Peak Design tripod has arrived. It was going to be used to at a Salsa dancing holiday in Mallorca this weekend. Ah well...

Bought a Nikon D500. Used it once before lockdown. I'm really busy with work and caring so not had any free time.

Bought a second hand 6D mk 2 haven’t been able to use it properly yet frustrating

Bought a Laowa 100mm macro just before the lockdown, got to take it for a good stroll once beforehand - since then it's just been used in our tiny , uninteresting garden. The garden is so boring even the bugs tend to steer clear :D But, I do head out there at least every few days when I see there's decent light [a lot of it lately]

I had also bought a 35mm 1.4, was really looking forward to that - it arrived inside the lockdown phase and I think I used it twice :/ The macro just makes more sense atm even if it gets very limited use. 35mm has been sold on to fund a new PC and maybe I'll rebuy one after all this passes [hopefully it does!]

Bought a replacement Pentax LX of fleabay to replace the two that were nicked from my car, that's not been used but is with Robin Gowing for CLA at present so not a problem. Been taking the MX out on dog walks with me in the mean time.

I can honestly say I'm using my gear more than usual due to a massively reduced work load and impending bankruptcy

I upgraded my a6300 to the a6600 and Sony 70-350 last week.
I've been using it everyday (y)
Waiting for my Sony 16-55 f2.8 to be delivered hopefully today.

What I haven't been able to use is my new Nisi CPL and 3 stop Medium GND.
I had an expensive day out just before lockdown where I broke a filter and lost the CPL :rolleyes:

:sony:

my local wildlife refuge annual pass, purchased in march when last year's pass ran out. it's open and on my way home from work, except they started closing at 6pm and i don't get off work until much later now due to the pandemic.

Just arrived today from Panamoz. Nikon 200-500mm . Might as well use the birds in the garden to trial it.

Pentax D-FA*70-200/2.8. Not gone out, if I want do birds I pick up the D500&80-400 that is next to the K-1&D-FA; the Nikon gear is much lighter...and it's a bit blustery outside...

and I am supposed to be working....

Bought a new (to me) 5D4 at the beginning of the year (I'm slowly swapping out my 5D3's) - Now everything is cancelled, instead of weddings, it's been pictures of the kids at home. It's having a very gentle warm up before the season gets going........ one day.

Bought a used old Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS lens (the one where the front part of the lens wobbles and doesn't seem to be properly attached to the rest of the lens) primarily to use with an old Canon EOS 600 film camera. Haven't found an opportunity to use the lens outside yet, only taken a few indoor photos for an ebay sale; the wobble doesn't affect the sharpness. The EOS 600 which I bought a few months earlier is yet to have a roll of film put through it!

The last thing I bought camera wise was a used (£800) 15-30mm f/2.8 lens for my Pentax K-1 in July last year.

I sold a few lenses in that range to be able to buy this one but in all honesty apart from testing it on arrival it hasn't been on the camera since. Saying that I didn't use the ones I sold either, all my photography seems to be at around 500mm or so.

I bought an intervelometer a few weeks ago when my boy messaged me to say he was attempting star trails from his garden. Been cloudy every night since :ROFLMAO:

I've not bought actual camera gear since..... My Voigtländer lenses in 2018....? Aside from the other day, I have a Contax Carl Zeiss vario sonnar 80-200/4 T* on its way by next weekend :)

I bought a second hand Sony 70-200 F4 lens last week but have not yet had a chance to use it. I go out once a day with our rather mad cocker spaniel and me standing still for a few seconds to take a photo is just not on his radar :)

Last edited:
Bought a new (to me) 5D4 at the beginning of the year (I'm slowly swapping out my 5D3's) - Now everything is cancelled, instead of weddings, it's been pictures of the kids at home. It's having a very gentle warm up before the season gets going........ one day.

Are you finding its a worthwhile improvement? Thinking of doing the same

Well - it seems to me there are few purchases here that I have not been mentioned at the GAS CONFESSIONAL. [always open;)]; I bought a Kirk monopod head for the sport I photograph. Not yet used at all. :(

I bought a Pentax LX to replace the two that were stolen, and used the lockdown period to get it CLA'd. Also bought a Pentax M42 macro bellows attachment that happened to have an SP500 and right-angle finder attached. Haven't used any of it yet but I've just found a new park to walk the dog in (she's 16 so can't go far while I'm having a tog stop)

I bought an EF 500 f4l back in January for the BSB and Moto GP racing season and it's now sat collecting dust

I got a Tamron 70-300VC that was to fill a gap in my line up and that was a couple of weeks before lockdown. It's mostly been used in the garden to capture the birds.
Last week a grabbed a really cheap Sigma 17-35 from a classified advert as I fancied a bit of wide angle action. I took it out on a brief walk yesterday, quite pleased with it for the price.

I might imagine that there may sadly be some people having to sell gear to make ends meet at the moment.

Nothing to do with lock down but I have a Sony A6000 which I have hardly used since buying it, I just cannot get on with it and it really seems to struggle to produce a good straight out of camera shot, it's dynamic range is awful. I feel angry with myself that I spent £400 on something that I don't use, I really should sell it on and cut my loses.

Last edited:
Back