any OM-1 users ?

Edit My Images
Yes
are they any good ? what is the difference between them and the OM-10 ? much , or not a lot ?

I'm after something that is a bit smaller/pocket size maybe ?

I have a 50mm F1.4 that I use with an EOS converter on my canons, so I'm good for a starter lens.

TIA

Rich

A lot, better build quality, OM10 without the add-on manual adapter is Aperture priority only, needs a battery to work. The OM1 is a fully manual camera and only needs a battery for the light meter. Both a similar size. The OM-1n is the newer variant although I last owned one in about 1979. The OM-2n is the better of the original Olympus SLRs, same size but with Aperture priority and manual as standard, I believe it was the first camera to use real time off the film metering and had a pattern on the shutter blinds to allow the sensor to give an accurate reading prior to the exposure taking place.

If I had the choice I would be going for OM-1n or OM-2n, OM1 or OM2, OM2sp (OM2 with spot metering), OM10 with manual adapter, OM20 Basically an OM10 with the manual adapter built in (but more money) OM40 later version, OM-4 expensive but very good, there were problems with the OM30, would not touch one with a bargepole.

Thanks Ed

I saw an OM-1 MD for £35, and it's got me thinking :)

Although, from your reply, I like the idea of spot metering !, My metering of choice (y)

EDIT : I've just looked on the e-bay thingy and WOW ! they (OM-1's) are going cheap at the moment !

Last edited:
OM-1 any good? Yes, definitely.
I just wish I could find a DSLR the same size, weight and quality of the OM-1n I had in the mid '70's. I'd buy one like a shot.

If I had the choice I would be going for OM-1n or OM-2n, OM1 or OM2, OM2sp (OM2 with spot metering), OM10 with manual adapter, OM20 Basically an OM10 with the manual adapter built in (but more money) OM40 later version, OM-4 expensive but very good, there were problems with the OM30, would not touch one with a bargepole.

OM-1n and OM-2n would be my choice too if I were going for an Olympus system. Both excellent SLR's and can't go wrong with Zuiko lenses either. I remember briefly using an OM-3 (never owned it though) and this was also a mechanical camera but these fetch extremely high prices particularly in good condition. I think the OM-30 was the one with focus confirmation in the viewfinder, and they did suffer from electronic problems as I recall.

I've got a few OM cameras ;)

4671819971_62cdd394a0_z.jpg

There's also an OM-2n, an OM30 and an XA around somewhere. My choice would be the OM-2n if you can pick one up cheaply enough followed by the OM10 with a manual adaptor.

I've got a few OM cameras ;)

ooh, the 101 was the first SLR I ever had. Been looking at picking one up for old times sake :)

My first SLR was the OM10. I had recurring problems with sticky magnets which controlled shutter actuation. I bought an OM1n which was a terribly simple camera to operate and suffered no problems that were associated with the previous OM10. The OM2 was out of my reach price wise at that time and was considered a brilliant camera. I still have them but they're not used due to the added expense of buying film and producing prints.

Last edited:
ooh, the 101 was the first SLR I ever had. Been looking at picking one up for old times sake :)

Do you mean the OM101 power focus :shrug: As I have one.... Been collecting dust for the last 20yrs...

Was originally a 21st b'day present... There's no box thou ;)

:thinking: warranty has prob run out as well :LOL:

Last edited:
The OM10 amazes me continually on how NOT TO design and build a cheap camera....used it about 2 months ago and the film pressure plate swivelled round wtf! this has never happened to me with any other camera.....well you have to clip it back into the springs but it looks very floppy to me LOL
Gimme a cheap Canon any day or erm anything.

Last edited:
My first SLR was an OM-1n which I loved - though ideally I would have liked an indication of the shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder, like Minoltas and I think Pentaxes had. Eventually I wanted spot metering and got the chance of a s/h OM4 - the best camera I have ever had and I can't bear to part with it even though I don't use it any more.

The OM-X were all good the OM-X0 were more 'consumer'.

OM-1s can be difficult to get batteries for, although this can be overcome.

Early OM-4s suffered from excessive battery drain, this was cured later.

Watch out for foam seal deterioration (this applies to any old camera) although the replacement kits are cheap and its an easy job to replace.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've been googling away, learned loads more about all sorts of cameras and their history, and found the body dimensions of the OM-1

It seems the Pentax ME I have is about the same size , if not slightly smaller. And lighter. So no gain in compactness, in getting an OM.

I might save my pennies for a bit longer and see what ideas I have next.

Got a folding 120 coming in the post that I can play with for a while :)

Early OM-4s suffered from excessive battery drain, this was cured later.

Go for an OM4Ti - best camera in the OM range in my opinion. No battery problems and built like a tank. It's also got Multi-Spot metering, which is pretty funky.

I sold an om1 for £15, a few years ago :crying: It was all working and lovely to use. :(

Still have my om10 but a om1 with the 50mm zuiko lens would be great to have again.

I sold an om1 for £15, a few years ago :crying: It was all working and lovely to use. :(

Still have my om10 but a om1 with the 50mm zuiko lens would be great to have again.

Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone - Joni Mitchell

Back