Any one been to New Zealand

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
I'm planning a trip to the South Island in New Zealand in late October for 2 weeks and wondered if anyone had any tip advice about the place?
I am planning on renting a car for 2 weeks and going to these places below.
Planned route

That's almost exactly the route we took when we went to South Island. What kind of tips are you after?

We are hoping to do a helicopter sunrise flight up into the mountains around lake Wanaka also how easy is it getting around using a Garmin GPS

We went in November 2003 but did a three-week coach tour as I wanted a holiday from driving. It was the first holiday I photographed digitally, using a little Minolta A1; the results are here.
Hopefully, someone who's been more recently will give up-to-date info.

We are hoping to do a helicopter sunrise flight up into the mountains around lake Wanaka also how easy is it getting around using a Garmin GPS
Lake Wanaka is beautiful (but so are many of the lakes around there) . There's a great winery on the lakeside - Rippon - and it's a very pleasant walked along the lake shore from the town if you don't want to feel too restricted with your "tasting".

We took a scenic flight over the Mount Cook area, which was amazing. I'm sure there must be loads of flight / helicopter options available these days. Not sure why you'd want to do it at sunrise though? Taking photos from a chopper is hard enough at the best of times.

They didn't have GPS when we went. But I doubt you need it. You can't get lost. There are hardly any roads and they all go somewhere.

I mean, if you haven't crunched the numbers, you can't easily conceive of how empty South Island is. Here's an attempt. Start with Scotland. Remove all the people from the central belt (Dundee to Ayr). Remove all the people from Aberdeen too. Then double the size of the country. That's roughly South Island: 1 million people spread over 150,000 sq km. Empty.

Reactions: ST4
I heart New Zealand.

I went for 3 weeks in 2010 and did North and South (not long enough to fully take in each destination so 2 weeks just for South sounds like a good idea). We didn't have a sat nav as my friend is a great map reader and that was her job as I was doing all the driving. Its not quite as empty as Iceland, but I don't think GPS is mega essential (altho if I had been by myself I would have used it) as things seemed pretty clear.

I bloody love Wanaka. We had a lovely Mexican meal there, I think the place was called Amigos. We didn't do anything wine related. Did a glacier walk on Franz Josef, which was brilliant. - the glacier has retreated so much now that you have to get a helicopter to the top to be able to do the walk so I think it might be more expensive now.

I did the Nevis Bungy near Queenstown which was frickin awesome.

Picton was cute. Go whale watching at kaikoura (there is a nice fish and chips place there, I cant remember what its called but their fish is crumbed instead of battered), see penguins at Oamaru, see moeraki bolders, go to Milford Sound, do NOT stop in Foxton. (I see some of these not on your route, but still) Hokitika was cute, there was a sock museum?? I found Queenstown to be too BritsAbroad/back packers/woo hoo yeah! to stay too long. try hokey pokey ice cream

Cafes, road side things, seem to shut earlier than you'd expect. When we were in nelson, we wanted to get lunch around 2/3pm and it was like everything closed until dinner time - ended up having a burger king as was only place open, but poo.

We hired a car from a place that had used cars, rather than new, seemed to be more economical.

I could probably write all morning about NZ, so instead, if you have any specific questions, I'm happy to attempt answering them.

I did a coach trip last year (North & South islands)
Take sand fly repellent. DEET based. We tried Vitamin B but didn't seem to make a noticeable difference.
http://www.newzealandatoz.com/index.php/page/display/238/

Te Anau Glowworm caves https://www.realjourneys.co.nz/en/experiences/glowworm-caves/te-anau-glowworm-caves/
Queenstown - Skippers canyon tour(via 4w drive mini bus) http://www.viator.com/tours/Queenstown/Skippers-Canyon-4WD-Tour-from-Queenstown/d407-2144SKIP
Queenstown - TSS Earnshaw / Walter Peak evening dining. https://www.realjourneys.co.nz/en/experiences/tours/walter-peak-farm-tours/
Queenstown - Kjet www.kjet.co.nz
Queenstown - www.skyline.co.nz (we did breakfast)
Queenstown - shotoverjet www.shotoverjet.com
Overnight criuse in Fiordland - Doubdtful sound, Milford sound (the one we did.) www.realjourneys.co.nz

and yes as mentioned it's very quiet.

Have great time, it's a fantastic place.

oh yes - something for sand flies!!! little buggers. probably the only nasty in NZ (compared to Oz) - got a couple of bites, was near a waterfall, which were fine for days and then suddenly were the itchiest thing ever!! and I swear they itched for months afterwards - Good shout John-oh!

We did a coach tour from Queenstown to Milford Sound instead of driving as I wanted a day off from driving and there was still a bit of snow around so didn't want to deal with that. I'm not keen on the scheduledness of coaches, but it was a break and at least didn't have to worry about naughty Keas - who have the best bird call ever, sounds like laughing.

I just looked up who our car hire was with and it was Omega - for 3 weeks it was $1050 (nz) & this was 2010 - and we had a Toyota corolla, not sure on the age but it did had a tape player. It did break down half way through the trip but it was sorted fairly efficiently. other than that, was perfectly happy with the car/service/price. I have read about insurance cover for cars you can buy thru a 3rd party which would cover you for multiple car rentals for multiple trips and is cheaper than paying each time you rent. never used it though.

We stayed in hostels (but not shared facility ones, I am fussy :p) mostly (bought the equivalent of the YHA card, useful if you want to look into it https://www.bbh.co.nz/ - you get discounts on places in the scheme)

sorry, rambling again.

I was there in May 2007; loved it. I did a circuit of the island; similar to your planned route but including Dunedin My three weeks there was nowhere near long enough (and that was just the South Island) - need to go back. There are guided cave tours and various other activities operating from Greymouth, as mentioned by john-oh, above. This is the company I used; http://www.newzealand.com/uk/plan/business/blackwater-cave-tubing-and-zipline-adventure/. Just up from Greymouth are the pancake rocks and blowholes at Punakaiki. There's loads to do at Queenstown. You'd need at least a week there alone if you're seriously into adventure pursuits. It's not on your itinerary but if you have time & inclination, the Otago peninsular, east of Cromwell is worth a look: the Moeraki boulders, penguins, albatrosses and sealions.
http://www.otago-peninsula.co.nz/
http://www.dunedinnz.com/visit/see-and-do

Boredwalk - we wanted to try and fit in Dunedin (cadburys factory) but just couldn't squeeze it in. We loved the penguins. I need to go back too, would def consider staying on South Island for another 3 weeks.

We went in October and had great weather, only 2 days rain and got a nice tan too when we were out and about, pleasant temperatures. Not sure if this is normal weather for october though.

There's loads to do at Queenstown. You'd need at least a week there alone if you're seriously into adventure pursuits.
We hated Queenstown. OK, it's in an amazingly beautiful setting, and you have to go through it on the way to Te Anau, so it's worth a quick stop, but we just didn't enjoy the atmosphere. Every restaurant and bar and coffee shop seemed to be full of people comparing notes. "Yah, yesterday we did the bungee jump, today we went paragliding, and tomorrow it's jet boating" and stuff like that. To us it all seemed quite false, and forced, and needlessly and pointlessly competitive.

My big South Island tip: Possibly the absolute highlight of our trip was going kayaking on Milford Sound. But it takes a bit of organisation.

The thing is, in summer it's only possible (or at least only sensible) to kayak early in the morning. As the sun rises and the land heats up, the warm air at the head of the fjord rises and is replaced by cooler air flowing in from the sea; so you get quite a stiff onshore breeze developing, and waves to accompany it. That's bad for kayaks.

So we left Te Anau at 4am for a 6am start at Milford. At that time of day it's gloriously beautiful, the water is calm, and you've got the place to yourselves for a few hours before the tourists start to arrive for the big boat trips. Absolutely magical.

We hated Queenstown. OK, it's in an amazingly beautiful setting, and you have to go through it on the way to Te Anau, so it's worth a quick stop, but we just didn't enjoy the atmosphere. Every restaurant and bar and coffee shop seemed to be full of people comparing notes. "Yah, yesterday we did the bungee jump, today we went paragliding, and tomorrow it's jet boating" and stuff like that. To us it all seemed quite false, and forced, and needlessly and pointlessly competitive.
Just stating my impression of the town.
Well I enjoyed my stay there. I did say. 'if you're into adventure pursuits', which I am. Someone who isn't, then, yes, maybe they would be better off somewhere else. wish I'd had time to do the kayaking though - sounds great. I took a trip along Milford sound by boat but visibility was poor - could hardly see anything.

Last edited:
Sorry for not replying before but have been busy. Anyway yesterday I put together an itinerary of what I think would work out okay but I am as always very open to ideas.

Day one and two Melbourne staying at the Sofitel

Day 3 Christchurch staying at the Rendezvous Hotel

Day 4 and 5 Twizel staying at the Mackenzie Country Hotel

Day 6 Queenstown staying at the Mercure Queenstown Resort

Day 7 Milford Sound staying at the Milford Sound Resort

Day 8 and 9 Queenstown staying at the Mercure Queenstown Resort

Day 10 and 11 Fox Glacier staying at the sunset motel

Day 12 and 13 Graymouth staying at the Coleraine Motel

Day 14 and 15 Kaikoura staying at the fairways apartments

Day 16 Christchurch staying at the Rendezvous Hotel

Day 17 home

My thinking is using Queenstown as a base and doing a lot of day tripping from there, that's why 3 days there.

We have also booked a chopper ride to a mountain near Wanaka to get an early morning Sunrise

Like I said if anyone thinks this is screwed up and we would be better doing ABCD rather than CDEF then please feel free to comment.

No hotels or flights booked yet but would like to get the ball rolling with that over the next few days.

For those of you that know my style of travel photography it is all basically done from a car.................i.e. drive looking for photo opportunities stop take a picture and drive to the next location, that might not be your idea of a photo trip but its what we like to do ................so that part is really not up for discussion

Plan to take my Leica S with 30mm, 70mm, and 120mm and maybe pack my D4s with my 300mm for any wildlife opportunities

Great thread and reading, I'm off there for three weeks next month :)

Updated below

Day 1 and 2 Melbourne staying at the Sofitel

Day 3 Christchurch staying at the Rendezvous Hotel

Day 4 and 5 Mount Cook The Hermitage Hotel

Day 6 Queenstown staying at the Mercure Queenstown Resort

Day 7 Te Anau.......need a hotel

Day 8 Milford Sound staying at the Milford Sound Resort

Day 9 Queenstown staying at the Mercure Queenstown Resort

Day 10 and 11 Fox Glacier staying at the sunset motel

Day 12 and 13 Punakaiki need a hotel

Day 14 Golden Bay......need hotel

Day 15 Kaikoura staying at the fairways apartments

Day 16 Christchurch staying at the Rendezvous Hotel

Day 17 home

Looks like there could be up to 6 hours driving in between stops so with stopping off to take a picture here and there on the way that will probably add up to 9 or 10 hours a day, which is great (at work I do 16 hours a day) so it will feel like a holiday
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

This trip is the first of two as we plan to come back again in April 2016 to catch the fall colors
View attachment 43735

Last edited:
I will be there in a few month too. So excited already! Will do the big adventure drive: North + south in 24 days. Will be exhausting but exciting i guess. Luckily I like driving a car beause we will be in a car most of the time haha
We skip Milford Sound and do the doubtful Sound instead. Closer to Queenstown and not so crowded. Also doing the helicopter flight like you.

Still thinking about my equipment though.

I don't think your two weeks will be long enough to cover what you are hoping to, but...you could go back ;) some time. We were in NZ last year and visited some of the places that you have planned, like you I was stopping to make images.

To give you some idea of travel times for example, based on your map route we drove from Motueka going South to Fox Glacier. It was a long days drive and we only stopped for photographs at Punakaiki. Given how you intend to make photographs during your journeys I think you are setting yourself a challenge. The roads in NZ are good but they aren't any way like motorways (think small rural A/B roads in the UK) but...around every corner is a photo opportunity so allow yourself plenty of time.

Another example we arrived in Picton having cruised from Wellington on the North Island, our destination was Motueka which doesn't look too long a journey on a map but it was early evening by the time we got there, having arrived at Picton about 11AM. We stayed at these lodges in Motueka which is a good base to explore that area (see link below) which are owned and run by a couple who originate from Nottingham UK.
http://www.equestrianlodge.co.nz/

We left Fox Glacier to drive through Arthur's Pass to Christchurch again another full days journey. After staying in Sumner (nice place) we dropped off our hire car which we had picked up on the North Island, we flew from Christchurch to Queenstown and hired a car there, again plenty to see and do around there

I would recommend the "Rough Guide to New Zealand" (ISBN 978-1-40539-000-2) for Golden Bay it states "Golden Bay deserves a couple of days of your time and has the knack of inducing you to stay longer"

I hope this helps, good luck with your trip NZ is a brilliant place for photography I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I visited New Zealand for my honeymoon, and it was just an amazing place - we did 16 nights covering North and South Islands, and would have loved to have stayed longer.
This was 11 years ago, so some things will have changed (the Christchurch earthquake, for example), but there is no shortage of beautiful places to visit and photograph.

In addition to Whale Watching at Kaikoura, the peninsular there has some great flat rocks for lands/ sea scapes, and the day we were there the clouds over the mountains (a few miles inland) lit up very dramatically.

The pancake rocks and blowholes at Punakaiki have already been mentioned - well worth a stop.

Oh, and if you are driving, it's worth noting that the police in NZ have speed radar running continuously, and a zero tolerance policy - fines are dependant on how much you exceed the limit by - my only speeding ticket was on that holiday - got caught behind 2 campervans at the start of a long section of switchbacks climbing up a mountainside. The straights were not quite long enough to be able to overtake going up, so when we came down the other side, and there was a long straight decent, nicely clear of traffic, I pulled out and put my foot down. Once past, I eased off and pulled back into my lane - to spot a police car comming round the bend at the end of the straight, lights flashing - realised I was doing 120km/h, the limit being 100 or so :(

Make sure you include a tour of the Marlborough vineyards. We hired a minibus and driver for £80 all day and visited 7 of them, stopping off for lunch at one. Fabulous day and great wine tasting and scenery.

We stopped there as I wanted to do a bungee and we did our coach trip to Milford from there, but I found it too backpackers woo hoo!, or maybe because im old. It's probably a better place for people in their 20s, working visas etc. I didn't find it competitive, just not to my taste. I loved my bungee, but not competitive about it :p and the view from over Queenstown at the top of the cable car thing is pretty impressive - one of my favourite photos up there. it is what you make of it really.

Make sure you include a tour of the Marlborough vineyards. We hired a minibus and driver for £80 all day and visited 7 of them, stopping off for lunch at one. Fabulous day and great wine tasting and scenery.

Im so glad I have no interest in wine what so ever as it would have been another thing to fit into our 3 weeks that we didn't have time for! :)

oh and Puzzling World just outside Wanaka is fun, if you're a big kid - please report back on how long it took to complete the maze challenge! (I'd still be there if it wasn't for my puzzle loving friend!)

Back