Any opinions on the Canon 20-35L F2.8

wack61

I've got an itchy hatch
Edit My Images
No
I've been looking at L glass for sale, what's the value of a used 20-35mm L F2.8, anyone got one, any opinions on it's performance or as to whether I should be looking at newer lenses from the likes of tokina/tamron/sigma

I currently have a 17-85mm IS USM so whatever I buy has to be better

Ideally I don't want to spend more than £350, everything I own has been bought second hand so as long as it hasn't been kicked off a cliff it doesn't put me off.

are there any other UK based photography forums with classifieds sections :)

tescos sells it brand new for £350 i think, the range is a bit small unfortunately

tescos sells it brand new for £350 i think, the range is a bit small unfortunately

Hmm, think that's the F3.5/4.5 version you're thinking about, the f2.8 is an older version.

Sorry, got no experience on it but you'd assume if it got the L classification it must have been a high performer in it's time

That's got to be wrong, the F2.8 is discontinued, has been for quite some time. Check the description

The optics of the EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 are based on those of the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III and the optical performance is similar. However, the AF drive pattern has been optimized for the EOS 300V, giving a faster AF speed.

I do not know then just what I saw in the magaizine.

SOMEONE ORDER IT AND FIND OUT!!!

I think their website designer has picked up the wrong info here.
The spec in the advert states a 58mm filter but the 20-35L had a 72mm thread. Also states that the max mag is 0.25x at 300mm but counters that the MFD is 1.5 metres.

This lens in it's true format was pre-USM days and certainly unlikely to have been resurected.

Bob

I do not know then just what I saw in the magaizine.

SOMEONE ORDER IT AND FIND OUT!!!

I thought visualisetheworld had found me a mega bargain then as the second hand one I was looking at was more than that:LOL:

Don't see any point in ordering it as it's not even in the current range so god knows what you'd get delivered, could be a 20-35mm could be a 90-300mm, could be a 600mm F4 HMMMM:thinking:

sorry George, no selling outwith classifieds please.

Sorry, Dod, my lens is actually advertised in classified under 17-35 for sale, so if wack looks there, he'll see it. Hope that's ok.....:eek::eek:

Darren, your pm box is full.....!!

The 20-35 f/2.8 L is a really old, discontinued and rare lens. It's hard to find one, i'm suprised Tesco are selling it of all places lol (unless they are wrong and are listing it incorrectly).

Anyway, my friend has one that he uses with a 5D, it's a great little lens. Great image and build quality as standard with L series lenses.

Darren, to answer your question, yes the 17-35 L 2.8 has the ultrasonic motor. All the current and recent L series do as far as I am aware, except the manual focus ones like the 24mm T/S obviously.

Darren, have you emptied your pm box yet~??

well if ou order osmeting at tescos andthey charge you the wrong price they have to give ou the good and your money back.

FUNNY THING IS THE LENS IS ADVERTISED IN THIER CATALOUGE AS WELL

they don't do that any more, they lost about 50k on xbox 360s a couple of years ago so they changed the policy

Back