Any PLEX server users?

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an HP microserver running PLEX server all seems to work fine but when I start playing 4k and 2160p stuff it just runs out of steam and I get stuttering and blocky corruption. Seems fine with fully HD stuff even big films of 10gb size. Any thoughts. All my kit is wired on gb nice and it is a Samsung 6400 49inch TV.

Intel Celeron CPU G1610T @ 2.30GHz

Transcoding 4k using a Celeron? I'd imagine it's maxing out the processor to be honest.

I've never found Plex to be efficient at Transcoding, I run it with a Xeon and although it always succeeds without issue it does show some considerable CPU usage!

It does look like the microserver processor can be easily upgraded as it is an 1155 socket. Lots of info on Web can even got to a xeon. I think I might try an i3 upgrade for 25 quid.

placed a wanted add for I5 3470T as that looks like a reasonable cheap upgrade to try for a start.
looke like you can upgrade to all sorts of low power xeons but a bit pricey.

Last edited:
You can pick up an Xeon E3-1220 for not too much - well south of £100 on a popular auction site, which should do the job providing it's within the permissable thermal envelope.

I run an E3-1220Lv2, which seems to transcode without issue (1080p) I imagine you might need the extra cores of an E3-1220 for 4k.

That said, there's not much I do wind up transcoding - it's really only when watching Full HD media on my phone which is only 720p

You can pick up an Xeon E3-1220 for not too much - well south of £100 on a popular auction site, which should do the job providing it's within the permissable thermal envelope.

I run an E3-1220Lv2, which seems to transcode without issue (1080p) I imagine you might need the extra cores of an E3-1220 for 4k.

That said, there's not much I do wind up transcoding - it's really only when watching Full HD media on my phone which is only 720p

Best option to keep close to the original TDP is the E3 1260L as below chart I think.
its TDP is 45 and the sink is rated at 35 but users say it is fine

Attachments

• gen-8-processors.png
    gen-8-processors.png
    365.6 KB · Views: 9
You don't have to transcode anything with Plex, if you build optimized versions for your target viewing device. Then it's just streaming the content (which may or may not still be too much for the CPU to keep up with, but it's more dependent on network and disk IO). For example, if you're watching that 4K stream on a device which doesn't natively understand the format it's stored in, Plex has to transcode, but if you pre-build an optimized version, for one or multiple devices, then it just streams it directly. You need to know what formats the devices you're using can accept.

You don't have to transcode anything with Plex, if you build optimized versions for your target viewing device. Then it's just streaming the content (which may or may not still be too much for the CPU to keep up with, but it's more dependent on network and disk IO). For example, if you're watching that 4K stream on a device which doesn't natively understand the format it's stored in, Plex has to transcode, but if you pre-build an optimized version, for one or multiple devices, then it just streams it directly. You need to know what formats the devices you're using can accept.

I don't keep libraries all my stuff is grab and watch so it is all either compatible to play direct from the source which quite a lot is or it has to be transcoded.
once I have watched it I just delete it.

Well taken a punt on one of these
Users say they are great and run ok with the main server fan turned up in the BIOS from quiet to optimal.
seeing as mine lives in the cellar fan noise isn't really much of an issue.
I also suspect the CPU will only get up to heat when working on 4k transcoding.

Intel Xeon E3-1260L Low-Power 2.4 GHz Quad-Core (CM8062301061800) Processor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132366382991

Intel Celeron CPU G1610T @ 2.30GHz
Well there's your issue. I have an AMD Turion dual core 2.2Ghz cpu in mine

I use mine for backups and running the cctv software. Occaisional download or ftp server. I'm not sure I'd put anything requiring grunt through it.

Well there's your issue. I have an AMD Turion dual core 2.2Ghz cpu in mine

I use mine for backups and running the cctv software. Occaisional download or ftp server. I'm not sure I'd put anything requiring grunt through it.

oh yeah for sure, to be fair I bought it about 4 years ago as NAS with other uses, over time I started using it as a DLNA server as it was on 24/7 and used a service called Twonky.
This has been superb for years, recently I upped the box to W10 and switched to PLEX which I have to say is VERY good indeed.

It is only when starting to move into very rich 1080p films and 4k then the processor is showing is weakness.

When I looked online at a lot of forums the upgrade path is really only limited to the fact you have very little room for heatsinks/coolers so its mainly the low power xeons.

I have ordered an E3 1260L which runs flat out at 45w TDP which should be ok for the little sucker and the performance will triple

Sounds interesting. I run server 2012 as I'm using software raid

i'm running a Gen 8 Microserver with 16gb Ram with an HP P410 raid controller (updated with advanced server pack to raid 6)
this plugs nicely into the HDD cage and I have 4x 2TB WD Reds running as a RAID 6 array.

Sounds interesting. I run server 2012 as I'm using software raid

Also make sure you have upped the BIOS firmware to the latest version for the Gen 8 as it adds more processor support.
If you need it just ask as it is no available without a HPE support contract.

Paul

I took out the warranty for 3 years for £30 offer, at the same time as the cashback. I think it cost me about £140 tops :)

I took out the warranty for 3 years for £30 offer, at the same time as the cashback. I think it cost me about £140 tops :)

the cashback on these has been great, I have been in on them since the 36L and the 40L they end up being very cheap machines.
if you can find a cheap P410 RAID card the performance goes up a lot, you just need to get one with a low rise card for the rear to secure it in to the chassis, also you can often get the working battery backed option thrown in.

I might still buy a 2nd one just for spares as you seem to be able to sell them in bits on internet for more.

Well my E3 1260L Xeon arrived yesterday from China, really well packaged and a nice clean chip.
shutdown the Gen 8 Microserver and removed the system board which is a bit of a chore.
Removed old Celeron chip and replaced with the Xeon, cleaned all the old thermal paste and used some fresh.
All put back together and powered up perfectly.
Back in situ, can recommend the upgrade to anyone.
The box itself is now seriously fast and the PLEX software has taken a good leap forward in performance but not yet enough to transcode the 4k stuff.

Back