Any Rally Togs Use/Used a Canon 70-200 f4?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm considering getting the Canon 70-200 f4 as It's considerably cheaper for me ( being a student I don't want to spend loads if i can prevent it )

I'm pretty certain it will be fine with good light, but has anyone any experience of using it in pretty poor rally conditions?

If so how did you find it?

I guess my only concern is not having the extra stop, but my initial reaction would be to just up the ISO a little..

Cheers

Hi,

I'm considering getting the Canon 70-200 f4 as It's considerably cheaper for me ( being a student I don't want to spend loads if i can prevent it )

I'm pretty certain it will be fine with good light, but has anyone any experience of using it in pretty poor rally conditions?

If so how did you find it?

I guess my only concern is not having the extra stop, but my initial reaction would be to just up the ISO a little..

Cheers

I think you've answered all your own questions here: the differences between the f4 and the 2.8, twice the shutter speed, or half the iso

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clarkjames/6496831641/

I like to pan at around 1/100, and that shot was f4 iso 200, so you'd probably be ok wth the f4, especially with IS

On a newer body I wouldn't hesitate to raise the ISO a bit, but on a older camera I think I'd prefer the the f/2.8 option.

Sigma do a 70-200 EX f/2.8 at much the same price as the Canon 70-200 f/4.

Doesn't the extra stop of light also help focussing?

Hmm, I suppose I'm not too worried about raising the ISO a little. Last year At the Mcrae stages i had the 55-250 IS f4, and the 20D at 800 ISO ( the worst conditions i will ever encounter ) and I was satisfied... bearing in mind i am pure amateur: I know there is noise but It doesn't look horrific I don't think?

IMG_3338 by Inlineadam, on Flickr

I used to shoot with the f4 version before upgrading to the f2.8 around three years ago. Although I've only had cause to use the 2.8 a handful of times it has saved my bacon, most notably on day one of Rally GB last year, when the light was so bad (at midday) in Dyfi Forestry I was using 1/200th, f2.8 @ ISO 1600!

In gloomy conditions the 2.8 is far superior IMO, and in the dank and dingy Welsh forests it really is indispensable.

Rhod

Back