Any reason NOT to buy this Nikon 600mm f/4D ED-IF I AF-S Lens

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
Below is what I have just been offered and the pictures the guy sent me are fantastic..............My question is should I pay 3000 quid asking price for something that I might regret later due to not having VR.
I would be using it for shooting birds and to take with me on an African safari

Here is the add

I am selling a mint condition Nikon 600mm f/4D ED-IF I AF-S with Nikon trunk case, lens coat lens cover and lens coat cap, condition 9/10 (Please offer)

Gitzo Systematic GT4542LS & Jobu BWG-LW3/HD3 Gimbal head with lens coat covers and wraps, condition like new (Please offer)

Will throw in the below if take all:

1) Lenscoat 3Xpandable with Harness (Condition like new)
2) Wimberly replacement foot (Condition 8/10)

The lens is 5 years old

You dont say if this is the MKI or MKII (your lettering suggests a MKI) but i would worry more if it goes wrong and Nikon cant source parts and you could end up with a £3,000 ice cream cone

I would also question the lens being 5 years old as Nikon stopped production of the MKII in 2007 and if its the MKI that was stopped in 2001

Ask for the serial number and check here http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#600

Its the bottom 3 just above the VR version

Last edited:
My question is should I pay 3000 quid asking price for something that I might regret later due to not having VR.

Unless you plan on hand-holding this chunk of weighty glass I can't see that VR is going to make a great deal of difference as you will have it on a tripod most if not all of the time ... but Gary makes some good points :)

Unless you plan on hand-holding this chunk of weighty glass I can't see that VR is going to make a great deal of difference as you will have it on a tripod most if not all of the time ... but Gary makes some good points :)
Those big old beasties with the aperture rings play havoc with lens mounts and mount aperture levers which often leads to errors requiring aperture rings replacing and in camera aperture levers needing to be replaced, check how freely the lens rotates in its collar, if its not as smooth as silk youre in for a whole heap of trouble

Reading his comments on whatsapp

Age of lens is almost 5 years old
He also mentions the same stuff Gramps is saying about using the thing on a tripod so no need for VR
And I also read that it doesn't have the nano coating...............but 3k compared to 6k is a huge saving for something that I wont be using much, but also paying 3k for a ice cream cone aint much fun either

I had a 400 f2.8 AF-S and it was fine without VR (certainly not hand-held by me) - IIRC Nikon makes spares available for 10 years but I'm sure @Gary Coyle can confirm ... so it would have to be the MkII to give you security of spares until 2017, otherwise it's your risk assuming that it's otherwise in good condition.

Neil I'm absolutely convinced you're part of that gang in London who knocked over the safety deposit boxes full of diamonds :D

I had a 400 f2.8 AF-S and it was fine without VR (certainly not hand-held by me) - IIRC Nikon makes spares available for 10 years but I'm sure @Gary Coyle can confirm ... so it would have to be the MkII to give you security of spares until 2017, otherwise it's your risk assuming that it's otherwise in good condition.
Not strictly true, 10 years maximum support but no actual guarantees on parts availibility, if parts run out before that then youre basically on your own and have to try source parts for yourself (if they exist)

Reading his comments on whatsapp

Age of lens is almost 5 years old
He also mentions the same stuff Gramps is saying about using the thing on a tripod so no need for VR
And I also read that it doesn't have the nano coating...............but 3k compared to 6k is a huge saving for something that I wont be using much, but also paying 3k for a ice cream cone aint much fun either
I would walk away Neil, if anything he's not honest about the age of the lens, like i say, get the serial nmber and check for yourself, thinking about it, ask for a clear photo of the serial number just to make sure.

Your right Gary. I would be kicking myself for not getting the VR every time I missed a picture. I will wait and buy a new one

Back