Any recommendation for laptop for home-school use £500

sphexx

Likes a dare
Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Have a look at HUKD - there's always good deals coming up for around that money and the guys are generally quite good at spotting bad deals.

Have a look on the HP site,just bought one ,an i5 ,8gb ram ,512 ssd from them a bit over your budget but £580 delivered with 3 year collect and return warranty, but thry have others withn your budget

We've just gone for one of these from Currys for the very same purpose, seems pretty good for the price/spec:

It was slightly over budget at £529, but a lot of laptop for the money

We've just gone for one of these from Currys for the very same purpose, seems pretty good for the price/spec:

It was slightly over budget at £529, but a lot of laptop for the money

almost identical to mine and i will say its very good but a bit plasticky, i got the ryzen edition 8gb/512gb (the ssd is m.2 as well)
i paid £499 for it but i got the office 360 1 year pack with it which i sold on ebay for £50 so it stands me at £450 ish.

Thanks all, very useful info which I have passed on — obviously not for me, I left school a few years ago :).

you will end up getting reamed for a mac book pro :)
Luckily I’m not the one paying :). Actually it is two children in separate families — I guess this is a common search at present.

Honor seem to be the PC magazines budget favourite's at the moment and might be worth a look. There're part of Huawei and available just about everywhere.

FWIW I strongly recommend (at least) 8GB RAM for Windows 10.
I bought a very cheap Dell from the outlet store with only 4GB figuring that would be adequate for web browsing in Chrome and solitaire - much frustration with a massive pauses in use.
Added an additional 4GB and it works perfectly.

Look at the Lenovo X1 Carbon on eBay as you can get something decent for half your budget. Sourced various X1s for school learning for friends and family and been pretty solid and reliable.

Look at the Lenovo X1 Carbon on eBay as you can get something decent for half your budget. Sourced various X1s for school learning for friends and family and been pretty solid and reliable.
Yes, thanks for that, it’s what I would get if it were me but I’m not sure they are happy buying used, though both sets of parents are very computer literate but always supplied by work I think and one is a Mac user anyway :(.

Fair enough. I have always sourced the Lenovos as way more robust than what is on the market. Look into this or this also for Office incase the kids can get it for their work.
Thanks again, it looks useful and I’ve passed it on.

We bought this HP Pavilion (from Currys so there might be better deals elsewhere) for my wife last year and she's been very pleased with it. I was impressed enough with the Ryzen 5 CPU that I bought a Lenovo Ideapad with a Ryzen 7 later in the year and that is amazingly fast (but unavailable and too far over budget).

We bought this HP Pavilion (from Currys so there might be better deals elsewhere) for my wife last year and she's been very pleased with it. I was impressed enough with the Ryzen 5 CPU that I bought a Lenovo Ideapad with a Ryzen 7 later in the year and that is amazingly fast (but unavailable and too far over budget).
Cheers, unfortunately that is unavailable from Curry’s at either the Sheffield or Kent locations where they live:(.

I kitted my kids and Mrs out with 2nd hand Windows Surface Books (version 1) for £500 or less on ebay. You get an incredible amount of kit for that and my kids enjoy using the large detacheable tablet and you can get a full working day out of a single charge. I have the i7 version with the performance base but the i5 with 8GB ram and 256SSD is perfect for video calls, streaming and light gaming (my kids play minecraft)

I kitted my kids and Mrs out with 2nd hand Windows Surface Books (version 1) for £500 or less on ebay. You get an incredible amount of kit for that and my kids enjoy using the large detacheable tablet and you can get a full working day out of a single charge. I have the i7 version with the performance base but the i5 with 8GB ram and 256SSD is perfect for video calls, streaming and light gaming (my kids play minecraft)

Needless to say, it went like the usual camera recommendation requests here ;(. One of them suddenly decided it had to have a touchscreen and has now bought a sensible laptop — at least he was informed by all the recommendations here :).

Back