Any requirement for filters for bright sunny day portraits?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys I'm shooting some of my sisters wedding in the Dominican Republic in three weeks and I'm wondering whether to shoot using a polariser for the benefits of darkening the sky etc. Just wondering if it's a good idea and if the filter will affect the skin tones etc.

I'm also wondering whether to use an ND filter to allow me to use shallow depth of field. One of my Fuji counterparts suggested switching to electronic shutter and using a much higher shutter speed to balance out my exposure.

I'd go for a bit of both of the above replies. Shade is always kinder because you don't have to tackle squinting subjects or harsh eyebrow shadows from overhead sun. Brolly props anyone? :)

However, @Mr Perceptive surprises me with the comment re-electronic shutter. Couple of weeks ago I got 1/26000sec out of my X-T1 with the 16mm f1.4 in really bright mid-day sunshine, and on holiday in Egypt, I got a silly 1/32000sec in morning sun, again at f1.4

I'd go for a bit of both of the above replies. Shade is always kinder because you don't have to tackle squinting subjects or harsh eyebrow shadows from overhead sun. Brolly props anyone? :)

However, @Mr Perceptive surprises me with the comment re-electronic shutter. Couple of weeks ago I got 1/26000sec out of my X-T1 with the 16mm f1.4 in really bright mid-day sunshine, and on holiday in Egypt, I got a silly 1/32000sec in morning sun, again at f1.4

I was surprised as well, but here it is 1/32000 ES F1.4 ISO 200 Liverpool

Pier Head - Liverpool Photowalk Feb18
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

It did have direct low angle sun, as can be seen from this shot shooting the other way:-

What to shoot next- - Liverpool Photowalk Feb18
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

But even that is 1/2700 at F8, so a bit of extrapolation for wide open and you are back in ES

I would be more concerned with finding locations with suitable lighting (shade) rather than using filters. IME, a good CPL should not affect WB, but all ND's do to some extent.
I'll be having a look around the grounds when I get there but they've asked for some shots on the beach so could struggle to find any shade there.

I would take an ND filter and, a faff as it might be, a fold up reflector (and get a nipper to hold it for you).

I'll be having a look around the grounds when I get there but they've asked for some shots on the beach so could struggle to find any shade there.
I’d definitely be shooting the beach shots when the sun is lower.

Think creatively not technically. I rarely do my couple shots when the sun is high, let alone in full sun. I’ve got all day, why would I choose to but up against problems that are transient.

That said, I’d be packing a 5 in 1 reflector for its diffuser and a CPL if I were you.

It doesn’t hurt to be prepared.

I’d definitely be shooting the beach shots when the sun is lower.

Think creatively not technically. I rarely do my couple shots when the sun is high, let alone in full sun. I’ve got all day, why would I choose to but up against problems that are transient.
The wedding is at 4pm but since its been a while since I've been in that country I am not sure when the sun goes down. My brother in law to be is not one for photos so ideally we could get straight into it as I know he'll end up sitting somewhere having a drink or bite to eat and not want to go back out to the beach. I'll just need to get my sister to get him told beforehand.

The wedding is at 4pm but since its been a while since I've been in that country I am not sure when the sun goes down. My brother in law to be is not one for photos so ideally we could get straight into it as I know he'll end up sitting somewhere having a drink or bite to eat and not want to go back out to the beach. I'll just need to get my sister to get him told beforehand.

One of the biggest reasons I shoot the couple later is because some people aren’t keen, so letting them go enjoy themselves after the groups gets them onside, then the couple shoot happens when they’re fed and watered and under no time pressure. They’ve had a chat to everyone, and there’s no competing priorities.

But with such a fantastic photo op... (beach sunset) I’d try to get the B&G to arrange timings round making it a possibility. They’ll regret not taking advantage of it later.

The sun will go down very quickly in that part of the world. It goes from full daylight to full night in about 40 minutes (depending on time of year obvs)

Guys since you've all been so helpful have you any advice regarding shooting people who are overweight? My sister is really quite large and I really want to give her something she's happy with. I have looked at various poses online so have that in my head I'm talking more lighting from certain angles or focal lengths.

Guys since you've all been so helpful have you any advice regarding shooting people who are overweight? My sister is really quite large and I really want to give her something she's happy with. I have looked at various poses online so have that in my head I'm talking more lighting from certain angles or focal lengths.

Slightly above is more flattering, as is angling her so she's not stood either straight on or exactly sideways to you.

Not re4ally in your control but she'll look much better in the photos if she wears properly fitting clothes (apologies if I offend here with this, it's not my intention in anyway) Clothes two sizes too small don't flatter anyone.It will also help you no end if she doesn't dress in a way to call attention to any bits she's a bit self conscious of. To give you a quick example I had a conversation with a bride a couple of years ago that went something like:

" I should tell you I'm 8 months pregnant. I'm realistic about what you can do, but can you pose me in such away as to minimise this." "OK, no problems I'll do everything I can but as you know I'm not going to be able to hide it completely"

On her wedding day she turns up with a big f*****g pink ribbon tied around her bump.

Last edited:
Might sound daft but if you can take a shot before the family etc get into the scene, or just after they leave, that way you have an image you can use to tweak the background and then lay the couple family over etc, also if they ever fall out with a guest they are just a cut and paste away from never attending.

I hope she has a good one and a wonderful life together BTW

Last edited:
Slightly above is more flattering, as is angling her so she's not stood either straight on or exactly sideways to you.

Not re4ally in your control but she'll look much better in the photos if she wears properly fitting clothes (apologies if I offend here with this, it's not my intention in anyway) Clothes two sizes too small don't flatter anyone.It will also help you no end if she doesn't dress in a way to call attention to any bits she's a bit self conscious of. To give you a quick example I had a conversation with a bride a couple of years ago that went something like:

" I should tell you I'm 8 months pregnant. I'm realistic about what you can do, but can you pose me in such away as to minimise this." "OK, no problems I'll do everything I can but as you know I'm not going to be able to hide it completely"

On her wedding day she turns up with a big f*****g pink ribbon tied around her bump.
Thanks mate. I've obviously not seen the wedding dress but she's generally a smart dresser so I don't imagine she'll make herself look bigger or have some big gypsy wedding dress. I was wondering if the longer focal lengths would maybe be slimming too.

Not offended at all. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks mate. I've obviously not seen the wedding dress but she's generally a smart dresser so I don't imagine she'll make herself look bigger or have some big gypsy wedding dress. I was wondering if the longer focal lengths would maybe be slimming too.

Not offended at all. Thanks for the advice.

Longer focal lengths tend to be flattering rather then slimming

Back