Any SSD bargains to be had?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Looking to add an ssd to the macbook pro and budgets £60ish so know that will easily get me in the 250GB range but just wondering if there's any bargains out there ive missed that will either make me stretch a little for more capacity or a 500 that might already be on massive reduction?

There's a few in the Amazon Daily Deals today.

Cheers for this Alastair, just googled the reviews on the current offering ie the toshiba q300 would fit my budget easily but not highly thought of, bugger.

more googlings led me to the sandisk ultra ll which is much better until i read another review and found that for a litttle more the samsung 850 evo is even better. arrrrghhhh

I might have to settle at the samsung or im going to go mad, just gotta find a good price now. LOL

Word of caution...
Not very scientific - but I have had two Sandisk SSDs fail within the 2yr warranty period. Eventually replaced by Sandisk - but it took weeks for the replacement to arrive.
I have had 3 Samsung drives for longer and so far no failures.

Like I said, not scientific - but I don't plan to ever buy a Sandisk SSD again even if cheaper.
I have also had a Sandisk USB and SDHC card fail over the past 3-4 years. All items were genuine Sandisk - purchased from Amazon Direct or Currys, Argos, Tesco - no dodgy resellers or Ebay.
I recently bought a Crucial SSD when it was on special at Amazon - but only to use as a storage for non-critical stuff - after a guy at work mentioned he had been using several Crucial SSDs for a few years without any failures....

I've had Samsung, Crucial and Sandisk SSDs - all fine so far, with the sammy now >3 years old. Have a look at ebuyer.com and aria.co.uk

Unless you are running a server the speed between slower and faster modern SSDs will be imperceptible to most users.

The 480GB Ultra II for £89 is a decent bet imo

hmmmm certainly reinforces my temptation to go samsung! found the samsung 850 evo online at £75 for the 250gb version which would suit.

I was chatting with one of the IT guys at work about SSD as considering putting one in wife's Sony laptop and he was recommending Samsung drives - did say Crucial and Sandisk as other options...

SAMSung 850 evo is the default choice, if slightly more expensive they are light (not a huge difference to others but still) and the fastest and longest warrenty (5 vs 3 )

www.flubit.com if the signups open you can get a lil off amazon price with them

850 EVO here as well, it's not given me any problems.

Another Samsung Evo 850 owner here too...no problems to report..the only regret is I didn't buy a larger capacity one.

Another 850 user reportin' in, had my 1TB drive in my mbp for about 4 months now and have had no issues.

Would buy another again should I ever have to.

Last edited:
Back