Any suggestion for a small, compact, powerful, manual flash?

C

Creo

Looking for a flash I can hand hold and fire off during long exposures (several seconds and longer) of landscapes. To illuminate rocks in foreground etc.
Need it to be moderately powerful, but as I will only use it very rarely, would prefer not to break the bank.
So, if you have a recommendation or suggestion I would be very grateful.
Thank you
Creo

Second hand would be fine, as long as I can fire it manually with some sort of push button, all is good.
The Metz is a bit large and doesnt quite meet the criteria of "compact" but many thanks for the suggestion.

It packs a hell of a bang!
I used to have one years ago. You can dial it down to fractions of its full output, good price too.
They do smaller ones, but that was the first I found.

Have a look at a Vivitar 283. An old classic of a flashgun that was very well regarded, powerful, runs off AA batteries and about £20 on EBay. If you do go for one and just in case you are tempted to put it on your camera, check the voltage first. The early Japanese made ones had a trigger voltage of around 250v that might damage a modern camera. Later ones (made outside Japan, I think) had a much lower voltage, but better safe than sorry.

Dave

Last edited:
Back