Any suggestions for a cheap (<£100) starter camera for an 11 year old?

Edit My Images
Yes
As title, my wife's little sister says she wants to start doing photography. Is there anything reasonable in that kind of budget?

I bought my daughter a 400d off here when she was 8 for less than £100 with a kit lens. I bought her a 55-250 to go with it soon after. The lens was cheap too. That was two years ago.

It's a great little set up for her to learn with and she has taken some nice images with it. It will never be worth much less than I paid for it, so when it's time to upgrade I won't lose much.

Oh and I gave her my old monopod to help keep things steady.

We have great days out together. A brilliant way to hopefully hang on to her for a bit more time when she hits the teenage years.

Worth starting a thread in the wanted section to see what is out there.

Last edited:
The 400D might be the better option based on specs. Not sure about IQ and usability though.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter which system she uses, so long as it follows what those around her are using. That will help with upgrading in the future I'm sure.

With regards to IQ the 400d is a capable camera for an 11 year old for sure.

Not pin sharp but taken by my daughter at 40 yards the other week.
https://flic.kr/p/K4qnn2

The 400D might be the better option based on specs. Not sure about IQ and usability though.

IQ is perfectly fine under 800 ISO.

Any reason not to go CSC?

My 8 year old granddaughter found a DSLR a little to big to handle, so i bought her a Panasonic GF1 and more recently a Canon Eos M, both these cameras are smaller and more usable for her, and they are not that expensive.

I would suggest the Nikon D40 too; very compact little camera and the bigger screen will be a boon, plus the menus and basic in camera editing is more fun than the canon. Again, available for peanuts

Pentax Q great for kids has it has that cuteness factor. And it's not heavy- she could even keep it on her key chain.

If your looking at a CSC I've a nice Panasonic G3 and 14-45mm for sale. Sadly not on this site and about 60% over your budget.

My 8 year old has 40d with 18-55 bought from here for about 130. She is fine with the size as she is used to shoot with our 1d series ... so you need to check which size she is happy with.

Back