Any tips for Red Bull X Fighters (London)

chris321

I like the ginger one
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys!

I'm going with a group of friends to this in a few weeks, and was just wondering if anyone had any hints, tips etc, or had been before?

I've shot sports before, but never motorcross and was just wondering if people have been before any specific tips, tricks and so on (both the sport and the location - Battersea power station)? I've looked at the site, as far as I can tell there are no restrictions on photography as long as it's not for commercial use, so that shouldn't be an issue (although if anyone could confirm this it would be really good!)

Cheers (y)

Tips? f2.8 glass, probably a zoom as you can't walk around and find the right framing.

So thats a 70-200 or the Sigma 120-300.

Well, I say that, the other option is to go a bit wider and just go for atmosphere... or both!

Tips? f2.8 glass, probably a zoom as you can't walk around and find the right framing.

So thats a 70-200 or the Sigma 120-300.

Well, I say that, the other option is to go a bit wider and just go for atmosphere... or both!

That's sort of along the lines I was thinking, 70-200, 11-18, and something in the middle for a general walkabout. Hopefully light won't be too much of an issue, it looked pretty well lit last year, and it probably won't even get properly dark as it starts at about 5pm.

Just looked at the ticket prices - ouch!

Is it a lot for motorcross (can you tell I'm new to this :D)? Edit: actually just had a look, they've gone up since we booked, seems they have different price bands with only so many in each band. But I probably won't do it again for a long time, just a spur-of-the-moment thing really!

Chris

I think the light will be worse than it looks... always is when its not daylight.

You'll need the f2.8 for AF even if you don't need it for actual photos... there won't be enough light for anything less.

Great! I can see the front of Battersea Powerstation from my bedroom window. Only its 5 miles away and I have to use a X2 Teleconvertor and 300ml lens with the live view magnified to the max. Might have some issues with the IQ.

Must clean window.

as it starts at about 5pm.

It doesn't. The event starts at around 8pm. Gates open at 5. Just have to make the most of the light before the sun properly goes down.

If you want to gauge the format of the event, they show the events Wednesday 8pm on Dave.

I'm going down, unsure whether to bother lugging the gear or not as I don't have a f/2.8 zoom lens, only a Bigma or a 55-250 4-5.6 IS. Both of which I expect to struggle, and the Bigma's not exactly subtle.

Guess I'll go for the 55-250 and pack my steady hands.

Also in my experience of stadium events, although they say photography's ok provided it's not for commerical use, what they actually mean is point and shoots, bridge cameras, or SLRs with a kit lens only.

Last edited:
Hey Chris, i am going down on Saturday morning and staying the night. Im lucky enough to have full media accreditation for it through work. I work for a MotoX/FMX clothing company (www.freestylextreme.com) and were taking a lot of product to get signed and also getting pics for the blog (Over 10'000 readers). This is the first year we've had any accreditation so pretty excited!

My colleague went last year as a general viewer though and he did quite well he managed to get semi decent shots with a Nikon 70-300G!!! It's one of the worst lenses ive ever used and the shots were pretty decent! The light isn't a problem as they light the whole place up but Big_Ham is right the actual event is around 8-midnight. The main problem is getting close to the action, they absolutely cram you in! If your standing you'll need to battle your way to the front and then you'd get pretty decent images so id recommend getting in early, if your sitting you will have freedom of movement but you'll need reach! Ive only worked at FSX for 8 months so not done a lot but it isn't as hard to snap as you think, they almost seem to float over the jumps and this allows for some pretty easy panning. RBXF is quite good for some lifestyle stuff though and the riders pull wheelies and flick dirt up which makes for good images.

Im taking a D300, D200 w/battery pack, 70-200mm f2.8 ,x2 aspherical Teleconverter, 17-55mm f2.8 and a 10-20mm f4-5.6, SB-800 Speedlite and i figure this should cover just about everything i need. Id be inclined to take your 70-200 and maybe a TC if poss? This would ensure you covered everything from where you'll be. I doubt you'd get close enough to use your 24-70?

If you check our facebook page we've got a few shots in our photo albums of Red Bull X-Fighter events, also check their webby you'll see the kind of shots they get, they basically pride themselves on the locations so they squeeze lots of background shots of St Basils-Moscow, Pyramids-Egypt and Battersea Power Station-London in!

Enjoy and let me know how you get on! Would love to see your shots when poss as well!

I think the light will be worse than it looks... always is when its not daylight.

You'll need the f2.8 for AF even if you don't need it for actual photos... there won't be enough light for anything less.

Yeah, it looks fine on TV, but trying to get a decent shot might be another thing completely! The 70-200 will be my best friend I think!

Great! I can see the front of Battersea Powerstation from my bedroom window. Only its 5 miles away and I have to use a X2 Teleconvertor and 300ml lens with the live view magnified to the max. Might have some issues with the IQ.

Must clean window.

Must open window. Easier, quicker, and eliminates the need for manual labour. :D

It doesn't. The event starts at around 8pm. Gates open at 5. Just have to make the most of the light before the sun properly goes down.

If you want to gauge the format of the event, they show the events Wednesday 8pm on Dave.

I'm going down, unsure whether to bother lugging the gear or not as I don't have a f/2.8 zoom lens, only a Bigma or a 55-250 4-5.6 IS. Both of which I expect to struggle, and the Bigma's not exactly subtle.

Guess I'll go for the 55-250 and pack my steady hands.

Also in my experience of stadium events, although they say photography's ok provided it's not for commerical use, what they actually mean is point and shoots, bridge cameras, or SLRs with a kit lens only.

Ah right, thanks for pointing that out! The 55-250 sounds like a plan, I may spend the first bit practising panning, that way super-fast shutter speeds aren't actually required! I might take a printout of the page regarding photography just in case I'm asked, but fingers crossed it'll be fine!

Hey Chris, i am going down on Saturday morning and staying the night. Im lucky enough to have full media accreditation for it through work. I work for a MotoX/FMX clothing company (www.freestylextreme.com) and were taking a lot of product to get signed and also getting pics for the blog (Over 10'000 readers). This is the first year we've had any accreditation so pretty excited!

My colleague went last year as a general viewer though and he did quite well he managed to get semi decent shots with a Nikon 70-300G!!! It's one of the worst lenses ive ever used and the shots were pretty decent! The light isn't a problem as they light the whole place up but Big_Ham is right the actual event is around 8-midnight. The main problem is getting close to the action, they absolutely cram you in! If your standing you'll need to battle your way to the front and then you'd get pretty decent images so id recommend getting in early, if your sitting you will have freedom of movement but you'll need reach! Ive only worked at FSX for 8 months so not done a lot but it isn't as hard to snap as you think, they almost seem to float over the jumps and this allows for some pretty easy panning. RBXF is quite good for some lifestyle stuff though and the riders pull wheelies and flick dirt up which makes for good images.

Im taking a D300, D200 w/battery pack, 70-200mm f2.8 ,x2 aspherical Teleconverter, 17-55mm f2.8 and a 10-20mm f4-5.6, SB-800 Speedlite and i figure this should cover just about everything i need. Id be inclined to take your 70-200 and maybe a TC if poss? This would ensure you covered everything from where you'll be. I doubt you'd get close enough to use your 24-70?

If you check our facebook page we've got a few shots in our photo albums of Red Bull X-Fighter events, also check their webby you'll see the kind of shots they get, they basically pride themselves on the locations so they squeeze lots of background shots of St Basils-Moscow, Pyramids-Egypt and Battersea Power Station-London in!

Enjoy and let me know how you get on! Would love to see your shots when poss as well!

Wow, cheers for writing such a long post!! I'm sitting, so less range to move about for different angles, but less to worry about in terms of fighting for position, or knocking someone out while panning :D. They do seem to be in the air for an unreal amount of time, so hopefully even with my slightly dodgy timing I should be fine! I think I'll go for the 17-35 for shots including the background, and the 70-200 for the rest of it. I probably won't be able to source a TC in time, so I'll just have to get a bit more background in, or do some cropping!

If I get any keepers I'll definitely get them up, and post a link in this thread. Good luck to you too (y)

Chris

Just reading the terms and conditions. I see what you mean about it being for personal use only, which is the same wording they used at Race of Champions, but anyone with an SLR was getting hassle from the stewards. Wait and see how it goes on the night I guess.

I'll have the Bigma and Monopod stuffed in my bag. :p I'm in grandstand C, so I think the length may well be required.

Red-Bull-XFighters.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers for the input everyone! It was seriously good fun, the stewards at the door didn't bat an eyelid when they saw my 50D and 70-200 f/2.8 with a hood on, and I got a few keepers!

Clicky here for my efforts

Chris

Back