Any way of checking the age of Nikon lenses?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Been hanging around this forum for a while but as you can see don't post much!

I use Canon gear but recently came into possession of a couple AF Nikkor 80-200 2.8 D's.

I don't know the history of them and was wondering is there any way to check their age (like the date code on the lens mount for Canon) and also what bodies will they work on?

I need to check them before selling so would be looking for the cheapest film/digital body they are compatible with to check the AF, aperture etc. (or if there are any friendly Nikon users in the Salisbury or Newbury areas who have a spare hour...:help:)

They are the one ring for focus and zoom version if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Steve

P.s. Mods please feel free to move the thread if this isn't the best place.

there is a website somewhere - sorry don't know the URL - that lists serials and dates - try a search here and on Google. AF Nikkor 80-200 2.8 D will wotk with ANY Nikon - past or present.

It could of been made any when from 1997-2008. There should be some kind of serial number on the lens, but good luck finding a site that explains how to decode it :D

dsc0279pj5.jpg

I would be very interested in one of these if you decide to sell :)

Just a sneaky one... will you be selling these if you are a canon man? ;)

I would be very interested in one of these if you decide to sell :)

Hi Matty and Alexis, thanks for your help and yes I will be selling them (unless I can get them to stick to the 1D :thinking:). Want to check the AF etc. first though to make sure I'm not selling complete dogs.

Thanks,

Steve

there is a website somewhere - sorry don't know the URL - that lists serials and dates - try a search here and on Google. AF Nikkor 80-200 2.8 D will wotk with ANY Nikon - past or present.

Thanks AWP!

But will not autofocus on a D40/x, D60 etc.

When you say D40/x, D60 etc., what does the etc. stand for? Is this something to do with the AF motors being in the body not the lens? I really know 'nada' about Nikons so please treat me like an idiot :)

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks AWP!

When you say D40/x, D60 etc., what does the etc. stand for? Is this something to do with the AF motors being in the body not the lens? I really know 'nada' about Nikons so please treat me like an idiot :)

Cheers,

Steve

Thats exactly it theres no motor in the lens so they wont autofocus but will fit just manual focus:)

Hi Perfect_pixel.

I'm not sure there is a way to check the age of the lens solely by its serial number. The style of lens is of course an indicator, as can be deduced from that website linked to above. Assuming they are all two ring lenses, IE, not push/pull, and they are in good condition, you could probably sell them very easily as these are quite sought after lenses. If any of them have AF-S written on them in gold text, they are very rare and can be sold for a hell of a lot!

I come from newbury myself, but am stuck at uni in Exeter untill atleast the 4th April. If you have not managed to find anyone by then, I'll be glad to help. :)

Steve I'm only in Reading if you need someone to have a look at them and make sure they work etc.

Pete

Hi Perfect_pixel.

I'm not sure there is a way to check the age of the lens solely by its serial number. The style of lens is of course an indicator, as can be deduced from that website linked to above. Assuming they are all two ring lenses, IE, not push/pull, and they are in good condition, you could probably sell them very easily as these are quite sought after lenses. If any of them have AF-S written on them in gold text, they are very rare and can be sold for a hell of a lot!

I come from newbury myself, but am stuck at uni in Exeter untill atleast the 4th April. If you have not managed to find anyone by then, I'll be glad to help. :)

Hi Woodsy, thanks for the info. They are (unfortunately) the push/pull with a single ring for zoom and focus so not the most desirable unless I get my gold marker pen and scrawl AF-S on them...:naughty:

Thanks for the offer of help as well, will let you know if I am still clueless by then!

Steve

Steve I'm only in Reading if you need someone to have a look at them and make sure they work etc.

Pete

Hi Pete, that sounds good and thanks for the offer. Will send you a PM to see if we can arrange to meet up.

Cheers,

Steve

Depending on the condition of them they're still worth about £300-350 each S/H I bought the 1988-1992 model a few weeks back for £290 (great condition with case). The thing to remember is that provided the glass is fungus free it's an f2.8 lens so will give great results. It's true they aren't the speediest of focusing lenses (compared to the AF-S model) and are missing the tripod collar but they are still pro quality glass.

Check out Ken Rockwell's page for more info

Back