Anybody disappointed with their 70-200 2.8 IS

Name
Wayne
Edit My Images
No
I've got a 70-200 2.8 IS and I just can't make my mind up about it. I use it with a 40D and I seem to be binning more shots than I keep. I always shoot in RAW and even the shots that I get that I'm happy with need to have considerable sharpening applied in PS. I have seen some shots on Flickr that claim no sharpening, straight out of camera etc and they look stunning. I've tried so hard but don't know where I'm going wrong. The pics in my Flickr (mostly my dogs) are the only shots that I'm happy with, and like I say lotsa sharpening! Any Opinions? :thinking:

Are you shooting RAW or jpg?

Bugger! Well its late and Im tired!! :D:D

Shot in RAW they will always have to have sharpening. Depending on the subject sometimes quite a large amount. It differs.

Post a few shots you are un-happy with, including exif, straight out of the camera.
It will answer loads of questions...

....in my 350D handbook, RAW images are assumed that they will undergo post processing..............basically, they are expected to be 'fiddled with'......

What is it with you people and Raw? Don't answer that as I don't really care!!!!!

I'd recommend that you speak with your nearest Canon Service Centre and take both your camera and your lens in for calibration, if they are less than 12 months old, they may do the calibration for free but even if it costs, it'll be worth knowing that they are working properly.

Regards,
Carl.

Carl,

I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with your recommendation but simply wondering how you arrived at that prognosis by what the OP wrote?

Bob

Because he says that he's struggling with sharpness, so I presume that he's done static shots to prove that at either 70 and/or 200 and they aren't sharp.

Plus, it would be immaterial what format he shots if all the images aren't sharp!

Therefore, I'd suggest hardware calibration at a service centre!

HTH,
Carl.

Carl,

I agree that calibration is a possible cause but would expect there are plenty of other things to check before shipping the kit off to Canon.

Wayner,

Carl may well be on the right track here but I suggest a little investigation before sending stuff away.
Do you have a filter on the lens...if so, trying a few shots without it.
Shoot a static target with centre point AF at a fast shutter speed....1/500 or higher and focal length between 100 and 170mm.
Try shooting with the IS off.
Try a few shots at f/5.6.
Shoot a static target manually focussed...is it sharper than AF'd shots.
Make sure that you're holding the body and lens correctly.

I'm sorry if some of those are a little obvious but it's difficult to cover the various options without knowing your experience level. Hopefully none of the above caused any offence.

Bob

I'd also check performance with IS turned off as that can have an impact.

a) You need to give the IS time to settle before taking a shot.
b) Panning in mode 1 can lead to blurring
c) worst case, it causes focusing errors which happened on a 70-200 I had recently.

Back