Anybody else like me?

RWDW

Brotha from Anotha Brotha?
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering if there are any other forum users that feel the same way in respect to photography?

I love cameras and the technology behind them; little minature machines full of fascination!.

I even love looking at Cameras from all eras (sad I know)

I also marvel at some of the pictures people take and think they are fantastic but I don't have much interest in 'taking' photographs. (I haven't lost the urge to take photographs as I never have had it but find photography really interesting.)

It's like - I love Rugby but I don't play it?

Maybe I should just be a camera collector - I could sit and stare at some cameras all day!

I like cameras too but I also like taking pictures. I would love to have a collection but I don't have the space or money to do that. But I really do enjoy trying various gear so I buy and sell lots (mostly used to save money).

For me the bigger motivation is getting out and taking the pictures. The gear is incredible and I do have a lot, but it would be unfair not to let them do their job :)

I sometimes get a lot more pleasure from being out taking photos than from the actual photos themselves. That makes me wonder why I have a fair bit of cash tied up in gear.....

I am into technology too, having worked in IT all my life. I have had cameras since my early teens, and now have quite a bit of money invested in Nikon full frame digital and Panasonic Lumix as well as a couple of compacts. I take photos for my own amusement when travelling out & about so the last 6 months during lockdown has seriously limited my opportunities. I am almost ashamed to admit I haven't touched a 'real' camera for months, although my iPhone camera has had regular use as it is so convenient & always to hand.

I like taking photographs a great deal. I like the adjustment process, the printing process. Some get framed and hang on my wall at home. I embrace new tech with enthusiasm and I suffer from GAS ;)

Well that's just me I suppose :)

I'm almost the same! I find the technical stuff and the gear stuff fascinating. I watch alot of YouTube photographers. I also really enjoy playing about with post production stuff. But, I don't do alot of actual photography! I do some, but not as much as I probably should!

Just wondering if there are any other forum users that feel the same way in respect to photography?

I love cameras and the technology behind them; little minature machines full of fascination!.

I even love looking at Cameras from all eras (sad I know)

I also marvel at some of the pictures people take and think they are fantastic but I don't have much interest in 'taking' photographs. (I haven't lost the urge to take photographs as I never have had it but find photography really interesting.)

It's like - I love Rugby but I don't play it?

Maybe I should just be a camera collector - I could sit and stare at some cameras all day!

Complete opposite. I have a few cameras but I’m not really that interested in them. But I’m fascinated by photography and taking and looking at photographs!

I first became interested when a colleague disassembled his Exakta SLR to clean it after rescuing from a swimming pool. There were nearly 1000 parts and I was intrigued and impressed and then read about SLR cameras so had to have one. My interest for the first year or so was all about the technology but I soon became interested in the pictures. Since then, while interested in technology generally as well as photography, I have always concentrated my effort on the final image.

Dave

When I was at school (the odd time I was there) we used to have a subject called afternoon studies and photography was a subject you could pick; it was quite popular as you were allowed to leave the school grounds to take pictures.

Oddly i preferred to stay in the darkroom printing pictures and never got bored of watching the image appear!

Appearently I was OK at it - other students asked me if i could print their pictures for them which i liked doing but not the actual taking of them.

I suppose everyone gets something different from the hobby.

I understand how you feel, although it’s inkjet it’s great seeing a good print drop out. It gives me as much pleasure if not more as any other part of the process

I do understand where you’re coming from in the same with motorbikes , I just started another rebuild project .with cameras I do appreciate how amazing the technology is even though I don’t completely understand how it works
But it’s the subject and the final results that I’m into in my case nature, insects mostly, the camera is just a tool for the job

I suppose everyone gets something different from the hobby.

This^

Photography is a broad church, there isn’t one right way. Everyone is different thankfully so we all get different things out of it and approach it in different ways.

I did go through that phase and accumulated far too many vintage ( usually cheap ) cameras and lenses but have now sold everything- vintage and newish - except what I actually use.

Collecting can be interesting and I found it didn’t cost me overall since I managed to sell at more than I shelled out.

I just take pictures now ( as few as possible - I also rid myself of the digital disease of taking and keeping far far more than I would on film )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back