Anybody gone from D500 to D850 and regretted it?

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
Sadly my D500 suffered an accident last week - knocked off a wall and landed on it's back, which snapped off the lens mount. Thankfully the 200-400mm seems fine!

I'm considering a D850 as a replacement.. I'd like the wider view full frame would give, and I'd still have the reach by cropping or using DX mode. Shutter noise seems louder (only seen comparison videos on youtube). I know I'd lose some FPS but this wouldn't bother me much, and I hope the AF speed would be the same or better than the D500. I pretty much only shoot wildlife.

Has anybody got regrets about getting a D850?

Thanks
John

I don't have either now John, I went much lighter but I did make the change from D500 to D850 in the past.
In the main I didn't regret it as the resolution of the D850 is superb, giving great detail when cropping and in DX mode is virtually a D500 in available pixels.
The only loss for me was the extreme speed and accuracy of the D500 ... not that the D850 is a slouch, it very much isn't but, in my experience, nothing quite matches the D500 in that regard.

I've had both. Sold the D500 as the D850 has a D500 inside it if you have the grip and battery you'll get 9fps.
Then sold the D850 for a Z6 and I'm happy with that. The D850 is easily the best camera I've owned but the weight with grip etc was too much as I needed the fps.

The D850 is a cracking camera, and imo is a better camera than the D500 as you get a FF and DX camera in one. You've mentioned you don't need the fps, but from my experience the AF in the D850 wasn't quite as good as the D500. There's not much in it tbh, and I think it's probably down to AFing on a high MP sensor but that's just an assumption.

I don't have either now John, I went much lighter but I did make the change from D500 to D850 in the past.
In the main I didn't regret it as the resolution of the D850 is superb, giving great detail when cropping and in DX mode is virtually a D500 in available pixels.
The only loss for me was the extreme speed and accuracy of the D500 ... not that the D850 is a slouch, it very much isn't but, in my experience, nothing quite matches the D500 in that regard.
I've had both. Sold the D500 as the D850 has a D500 inside it if you have the grip and battery you'll get 9fps.
Then sold the D850 for a Z6 and I'm happy with that. The D850 is easily the best camera I've owned but the weight with grip etc was too much as I needed the fps.
The D850 is a cracking camera, and imo is a better camera than the D500 as you get a FF and DX camera in one. You've mentioned you don't need the fps, but from my experience the AF in the D850 wasn't quite as good as the D500. There's not much in it tbh, and I think it's probably down to AFing on a high MP sensor but that's just an assumption.

Many thanks guys - that all helps a bit :) Very tempting to go the D850 route if I can.. It's going to next week before the insurance investigator gets back to me - they appear to think I'm a criminal! :mad:

I've been lusting after the D850 since it came out. Hopefully, I'll be in a position to get one in a month or so as I've just sold my minibus.

A Phantom 4 drone and a D610 hopefully will follow soon, then my D810 becomes a back-up instead of the D610. :)

Back