Anybody I need advice.

Yes, if you need the features that it offers, then it's brilliant. Lets limited canon SLRs have features only normally seen on 'real' video cameras. It is, however, aimed at the more accomplished and knowledgable user.

I plan to use it for timelapse online, seeing as it has bulb ramper ect

AH yes. Built in intervalometer is a neat feature, one badly missing from canon SLRs imo.

Haven't had a chance to experiment with the bulb ramping yet, it sounds like it probably takes some getting used to and experimentation - so maybe have a few practice goes before using it anywhere special?

itsdavedotnet said:
AH yes. Built in intervalometer is a neat feature, one badly missing from canon SLRs imo.

Haven't had a chance to experiment with the bulb ramping yet, it sounds like it probably takes some getting used to and experimentation - so maybe have a few practice goes before using it anywhere special?

Yeah I plan to. I haven't yet installed it yet as haven't got a cf car reader. Will post up some projects after I have had a play. Thank you for your replies.

Nick

That's the same reason I installed it, the intervalometer is great! The bulb ramping was a nice feature I didn't realise it had, so I bought some welding glass to keep me entertained ^^

So many other features, the built-in help document really helps too; can be a bit overwhelming sifting through all the options, it gives you a general idea of what everything does. Easy peasy to uninstall too, in case you change your mind ;)

Jackypoos said:
That's the same reason I installed it, the intervalometer is great! The bulb ramping was a nice feature I didn't realise it had, so I bought some welding glass to keep me entertained ^^

So many other features, the built-in help document really helps too; can be a bit overwhelming sifting through all the options, it gives you a general idea of what everything does. Easy peasy to uninstall too, in case you change your mind ;)

I can't get it because it will not work for 1.0.9 the screen just goes blank. Háve to take the battery out to get the camera back :/ need to get 1.0.8 :(

Did you manage to get 1.0.8 working? I added all of the files in the zip to my memory card, the black screen happens when there is no autoexec.bin on the memory card.

Does autofocus work by any chance?

Hi sorted it now. Because I had 1.0.7 I had to upgrade to 1.0.9 but then had to downgrade to 1.0.8 after changing computers due to it not working on my mac and FINALLY it works. I'm a bit confused how to set up bulb ramped for time lapse if you have any tips?

I haven't used that feature myself, however I did read it in the documentation earlier. Here is what it says:

Bulb Ramping allows the capture of a timelapse that gradually changes exposure, compensating for the transition from day to night.
This option will adjust shutter and ISO automatically, using the 180 degree rule.
Quick start:
1. Take a picture of your scene. You will use it to say: "I want my timelapse to be exposed like this picture".
2. Enable Bulb Ramping and Intervalometer.
3. Leave the camera still while ML runs a calibration step:
Make sure you have a static and well-lit scene (any static scene which does not require long exposure should be fine).
After calibration, you should get a nice S-curve on the screen.
4. Now you will have to say what tone range to meter for (i.e. highlights, midtones...). Follow the wizard:
Use arrow keys to select your reference picture (which you just took).
Use the main dial to select the tone range to meter for. You can't perfectly match two images just by varying one parameter (exposure), so you have to choose what's important for you in this picture.
For lowest flicker, meter for midtones (choose the 50th percentile, i.e. median). Leave some headroom for highlights (underexpose a bit).
If highlights are important, meter for them (choose 80th percentile for example). You will get more flicker; shoot RAW to remove it easier in post.
The algorithm works best when brightness is close to 50% (try not to choose extreme values for it).
When you are ready to start, press SET.
5. Sit back and relax :)

Source: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide#id3

There's a little extra info in the PDF, also theres a built in help function with a duplicate of the PDF in there :) hope this helps!

Jackypoos said:
I haven't used that feature myself, however I did read it in the documentation earlier. Here is what it says:

Source: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide#id3

There's a little extra info in the PDF, also theres a built in help function with a duplicate of the PDF in there :) hope this helps!

Thank you for that. I will have a good old read later on when I get to sit down and get on my laptop.

Looking forward to using this properly when I get a chance.

It also mentions a 'silent mode' for live view, it's around that area of the document. I'd recommend putting it one, I didn't and I've cycled my mirror an extra 6,000 times when it wasn't necessary!

Good luck friend, tell us how you get on ;)

EDIT: As it turns out, the silent mode outputs in a YUV44 format, you can't see this in camera but it's still on the memory card.

Last edited:
It also mentions a 'silent mode' for live view, it's around that area of the document. I'd recommend putting it one, I didn't and I've cycled my mirror an extra 6,000 times when it wasn't necessary!

Good luck friend, tell us how you get on ;)

EDIT: As it turns out, the silent mode outputs in a YUV44 format, you can't see this in camera but it's still on the memory card.

How do I do that?

Its on the same page as the intervalometer when viewing the advanced options. I'm not sure what the image quality is like, I've heard that it just saves the picture from the LCD screen :3

I'll reread the documentation and check mine when I'm home, hopefully it will be usable (y)

Jackypoos said:
Its on the same page as the intervalometer when viewing the advanced options. I'm not sure what the image quality is like, I've heard that it just saves the picture from the LCD screen :3

I'll reread the documentation and check mine when I'm home, hopefully it will be usable (y)

I tried it and it pretty much took a video :/

nick.baker said:
I tried it and it pretty much took a video :/

That's a shame, was the quality usable though? The idea is nice, but I guess you can't win them all ^^

Back