Anybody use Camdiox ND1000 Filters..

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No
Hi
Has anybody any experience of using Camdiox ND1000 Filter, they have recommended as an alternative to Lee cost wise, I am looking
to do some long exposure but can't really warrant spending the money on Lee filters at the moment.

Thanks

The camdiox 10 stoppers are good bang for buck with a relatively neutral cast.

Someone did a review on here a while back with examples which turned into a rather big thread.

Have a look at Haida filters too.

I've never tried Lee filters but have always been disappointed with Hitech ten-stop resin filters (again, though, I've not tried their newer top-of-the-range ones). But I have used B+W, Camdiox and Haida screw-in ten stop filters and find them each very good. Much less colour cast, no light-leak issues. I then just add a small Hitech filter holder with grads and six or four stop resins which work well together.

The camdiox 10 stoppers are good bang for buck with a relatively neutral cast.

Someone did a review on here a while back with examples which turned into a rather big thread.

Have a look at Haida filters too.

Not sure if this is the example you were thinking of, but may aswell add it in here:

10 stops compared by Steve Bennett, on Flickr

The Camdiox filter and the SRB which is a rebranded Camdiox, has a magenta cast, which is not s bad as some others (old Hitech for example)
Best not to use.a preset white balance with these (sunny/cloudy etc) as it brings the colour cast out more, AWB works fairly well, though not as good as setting up a Custom White Balance for them.

Unfortunately the XCsource filter (Distributed from Jersey) which was the most neutral of the budget filters I tested, seems to be less widely available now. They have stores on both Ebay and Amazon, but the filters are not always listed.

I now have a Zomie U HD-W ND1000 to add to the test. It has a pronounced blue colour cast, very similar to the Haida and Lee Big Stopper, but has better contrast and seems more resistant to flare.

Hope this is of some help.

Not sure if this is the example you were thinking of, but may aswell add it in here:

The Camdiox filter and the SRB which is a rebranded Camdiox, has a magenta cast, which is not s bad as some others (old Hitech for example)
Best not to use.a preset white balance with these (sunny/cloudy etc) as it brings the colour cast out more, AWB works fairly well, though not as good as setting up a Custom White Balance for them.

Unfortunately the XCsource filter (Distributed from Jersey) which was the most neutral of the budget filters I tested, seems to be less widely available now. They have stores on both Ebay and Amazon, but the filters are not always listed.

I now have a Zomie U HD-W ND1000 to add to the test. It has a pronounced blue colour cast, very similar to the Haida and Lee Big Stopper, but has better contrast and seems more resistant to flare.

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/67mm-camdiox-nd1000-filter-9354-p.asp
and was thinking about this holder http://srb-photographic.co.uk/p-size-elite-filter-holder-11212-p.asp

Thanks for you help already Steve, I am not 100% sure but the filter should I think be a straight forward screw on type that can also be popped into the holder also for handiness.
I am probably going to buy the ND1000 filter without the holder to see how I get on first then possibly their polariser and holder.
Looks well made.
Thanks.

Thanks for you help already Steve, I am not 100% sure but the filter should I think be a straight forward screw on type that can also be popped into the holder also for handiness.
I am probably going to buy the ND1000 filter without the holder to see how I get on first then possibly their polariser and holder.
Looks well made.
Thanks.

Sounds a reasonable plan, would be interested to hear how you get on with the filter. I'm sure it would be useful for others too.

I have a camidox and xcsource 10 stops. In terms of lack of cast, for me, the xcsource is the clear winner.

BUT I have had 2 of them which have both developed worming after a few weeks. Xcsource were very good and gave me a refund but I think their QC is a little lacking. Mind you for the price.... :thinking:

What do you mean by worming, I have never hear of that. Can you clarify..Not bad at the price but not good if they do not last..

I've had a Camidox ND1000 for the last few years now and love it. Before that I had the more expensive square Haida 10 stop. I can't say that I noticed a difference in performance and personally prefer the screw in filter for general use (despite the fact it's slightly more difficult to take on and off when adjusting composition). If my filter broke I'd buy another Camidox straight away.

Just as it sounds - like a worm has wriggled through the glasses and left a wiggly line. If you google xcsource Amazon nd1000 62, it should come up

Edit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RNN...annel=detail-glance&nodeID=560834&store=photo

Hi I had a look at your Amazon review photos and it looks like moisture has got inside the filter that's an xcsource brand I am looking for information on the Camdiox ND1000 Filter but worth knowing. Thanks ACW also for the info.

I have a camidox and xcsource 10 stops. In terms of lack of cast, for me, the xcsource is the clear winner.

BUT I have had 2 of them which have both developed worming after a few weeks. Xcsource were very good and gave me a refund but I think their QC is a little lacking. Mind you for the price.... :thinking:

That's unfortunate, you are probably right though, QC checking most likely suffers to keep the prices down.
Thankfully mine is still as good as new after 3 years of service and several dips in the sea. Shall look after it better now, as it is my most used filter.

Superb help! I've put two xsource in my Amazon basket :) how would I fare using a step down adapter of sorts and do you have a recommendation? (Tho I'll get a 77 and 67 anyway, maybe I should skip the 67 and use the adapter...)

Last edited:
Superb help! I've put two xsource in my Amazon basket :) how would I fare using a step down adapter of sorts and do you have a recommendation? (Tho I'll get a 77 and 67 anyway)

You shouldn't have any problems, the only issue I can think of is with ultra wide angle lenses, the filter would be further forward and if then mounting an additional filter holder for graduated filters, this may cause vignetting. Justthe filter alone wont cause any problems.
By coincidence, my step up/down rings also came from XCsource I think and they do the job just fine

You shouldn't have any problems, the only issue I can think of is with ultra wide angle lenses, the filter would be further forward and if then mounting an additional filter holder for graduated filters, this may cause vignetting. Justthe filter alone wont cause any problems.
By coincidence, my step up/down rings also came from XCsource I think and they do the job just fine

That's good news thanks! Worse comes to worse I can order the 67mm version after, as it's initially for a 10-18mm lens there's a risk.

(Edit: ordered from eBay the 77 and the step rings, £13.68 total minus 4% TopCashback. Can't lose too badly I think!)

Last edited:
Back