Anyone actually have a Nikon 300 f4 PF?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
I heard there was a silent recall what ever that means and no one seems to have stock I was thinking about selling my 80-400VR G AFS and switching to one just for downsizing and to always carry it in smaller backpack when walking

Have a guy on another forum with one he gets outstanding results,i was a bit surprised there is no stock about as the problem was supposed to be sorted.

I have had one on order for a few months now. Was told the expected arrival date from Nikon was, and I quote ...."Having spoken with our Purchasing Department, I am able to advise that the NIKKOR 300mm F/4E PF ED VR is due into our warehouse week commencing 27/04/2015". Sadly they have not appeared yet.

Rumour was a serious issue with the VR.

I've got two of them. But I'd been on the waiting list for over 3 months (ordered January, delivered early May). They're only dribbling through in small quantities, and the people who are getting them are raving about them, so I don't expect the queues are getting any shorter.

Just emailed MPB to find out when I can expect mine and nobody seems to have a clue. Very frustrating.....

Had a shoot with one of micloi's the other day on a D7200. Results on the screen were astonishing even with a x1.7TC onboard. Worth the wait !

I'm so tempted to sell up a lot of my gear and down size to the d7200 and 300f4 pf with 70-200f4 which would cover most of my shooting and fit in my lowepro sport 200aw :)

I'm seriously considering hiring one for Welshpool Air Show in a few weeks time... I should have my D7200 by then as well. :D

I bought 3 as soon as they were released, gave one to a friend immediately and I am giving the second one to Gary43 tomorrow after he twisted my arm :) Keeping the last one and sleeping with it under my pillow ;) Absolutely fantastic lens and I tried them all.

I bought 3 as soon as they were released, gave one to a friend immediately and I am giving the second one to Gary43 tomorrow after he twisted my arm :) Keeping the last one and sleeping with it under my pillow ;) Absolutely fantastic lens and I tried them all.

Make sure the lens fairy doesn't take the one under your pillow ;)

Latest update. Have been told stock is due in next Tuesday and mine should be with me on Wednesday.

Curiua which searches Amazon Europe for best prices, are showing it will be in stock in the next 3-5 weeks (Germany) so they must be ramping up production?

http://www.curiua.com/dp/B00RXM3I9I

A couple of shots below taken with the 300PF with a Nikon x2IIITC onboard stopped down a third. Both are big crops. Not exciting subjects but shows the phenomenal resolving power of this lens even with such a TC onboard. I am very, very pleased with this lens:

DSC_0207_zpsynhevgnb.jpg

DSC_0223_zps2vzuv14i.jpg

Hi Graham, probably best if my mate micloi does not post his 300PF images up here then, he has much better than mine above !

Can anyone tell us how it compares to the non-VR f4 in terms of absolute sharpness? Clearly it has lots of advantages, including the ability to take tcs longer than 1.4, but if the playing field is equal, is it sharper, less sharp, so similar as to not being worth worrying about?

And how about AF?

Last edited:
I tried mine next to the non VR. Sharpness is close, the pf is slightly sharper without the teleconverters but quite a bit sharper with the 2x and, importantly, does not exhibit chromatic aberrations with the teleconverters due to its design.

Af is faster, again especially when your use teleconverters.

A fantastic lens and if Gary43 keeps posting his images I will have to get the lens back from him using any means available to me :)

Just been told mine will be delivered tomorrow. [emoji1]

Even more frustrated now Gary!

Me too

Hi Graham, probably best if my mate micloi does not post his 300PF images up here then, he has much better than mine above !

Don't I've seen them

They are all on "back order" and my problem is that I am only in the UK for short periods of time and I just don't want to take the chance of delivery to rural France

Last edited:
I see digitalrev are now showing them as available within 2 days. Lst time I looked they werent advertising them at all.

Not the best image, it is a huge crop and the light was pretty dim, but the reed bunting below was taken with a D7100/300PF/x1.7 TC combination. Lots of lovely feather detail on the original image.

DSC_1961_zps6in7cdru.jpg

Just in case anyone is having back order issues I was in Skears (Northampton) today and they have one in stock on the shelf. Not sure of the price.

Back