Anyone backing up to BluRay ?

I've used mirror raid with Intel chipsets for years without any major problems.
I did once have a corrupt raid due to a powercut but the data was still intact on both hard drives.
I always keep another backup on my server which also runs mirror raid just in case.
Once a week I back up to an external hard drive and store it away from the house.

Anyway, going back on topic, I have stuff archived on CD and DVD (from around 1998 onwards) and I've had no issues with any of the data being corrupt.
As said above, it ink used in cd that caused a problem some years back.

i wish you well if the mirror corrupts..

(is anyone sick of me banging on about RAID issues yet? lol)

This is down to the chipset.
The only onboard chipset I will use for RAID is intel, nvidia and via are crap.
Dedicated RAID controller card then I would have faith in Adaptec.
In all honestly, over the years I've rarely come across anyone who who has suffered issues with an Intel RAID.

there is always going to be a problem with digital storage of any type that COULD happen...im sure there are people who print every photo and store them in boxes...

Apple are likely to include BD drives in the next round of hardware upgrades, hell even toshiba are making a BD player now so it wont be long before they are in a lot of devices. BD ftw. Ive had 2 portable HDD and both packed up, lucky for me i already had the stuff backedup, but its not very encouraging.

This is down to the chipset.
The only onboard chipset I will use for RAID is intel, nvidia and via are crap.
Dedicated RAID controller card then I would have faith in Adaptec.
In all honestly, over the years I've rarely come across anyone who who has suffered issues with an Intel RAID.

me. on dedicated server RAID controllers.

controller fail = hard disk paperweights.

Always best to have backups on two different media, ideally at two different locations.

I don't bother backing up to DVD primarily because of size constraints. I do, however, back up to a RAID 5 NAS and 2 separate external HDD's.

When I can get a BluRay drive in my Mac then I will start using those. 25gb a time should do me fine for now, hopefully by the time my requirements go up then the 50gb or greater discs should be easy to get hold of.

When I can get a BluRay drive in my Mac then I will start using those. 25gb a time should do me fine for now, hopefully by the time my requirements go up then the 50gb or greater discs should be easy to get hold of.

If you have a mac pro there is a tutorial on my site. You could use an external drive too. TOAST 9+ has the software.

The 50gb discs are STUPIDLY expensive!!

Yup, its the same for the DL DVD's as well, never even bothered with them.

Back