Non UK Anyone been on a Nordic Fjord Cruise..??

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Hi.... I am in the process of looking to book a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords and trying to go through the many pros and cons of cabin selection / position.
This is probably a long shot and I might be over thinking it as I'm sure there will be lots of stunning scenery but I wondered if anyone on here had previously been and wished they had been on a different side of the ship from a photography point of view. i.e. I'm thinking about mountains being in sunlight vs shade when arriving early morning into ports etc.

Thanks

We went on the Hurtigruten a year or two ago and found that the Promenade deck allowed views in all directions

yes been on 2 cruises , first to Norway only and second to Norway -fareo isles and Iceland. I think you should consider ship size first as some of the larger ships may not be able to go right up the fjords. also think about which shipping Line to use. The last one we went was a on a Viking ship , those who pay the most get first choice of trips out and fine dining or in speciality dining irrespective of how early you book, but the most comfortable ship ever been onwas the Viing Mars.

It makes no difference which side of the ship as it can only go to the end of the fjord then back down it again. Don't pay extra for a drinks package as they are free at meal times, just order a second or third glass and take it with you as you leave the dining area.

yes you are certainly over thinking as the photo oppertunities will wear out your camera so take a load of memory cards and spare batteries.
you will regret not taking a small video camcorder as well believe me.

More importent is planning what you want to see such as going in the Flam Railway or eagles bend which can clear as quicly as it mists over

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KN8i9kEdss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ZtxXFmIoM

It all depends on what you want to see. If I was asked what to go on again it would definately be the Norway- Fareo isles and Iceland . then you can have the crossing the artic circle experience on board ( on the Viking Mars)

and on iceland walk on the boiling sulphic plain

If you went by boat there are stunning sunsets over tghe North sea but yhou loose days that could have been in Norway on a fly/crusie,

7PSmBGO.jpg

The geiser In Iceland advertised is now partially blocked or was when we were there by falling rocks

up in the mountain

HpYWS8h.jpg

JfJCvFj.jpg

bBZdPI4.jpg

I have been to many countries around the world from Brazil to China to Japan to USA to Egypt to mention but a few, but I would go back to Norway time and time again given the chance, it is so beautiful and stunning scenery

1Nki1CH.jpg

PXAK70H.jpg

If I can help in anyway please ask

Last edited:
I think Thomas Heaton (youtube) done a few trips. Might be worth checking his channel for tips.

yes been on 2 cruises , first to Norway only and second to Norway -fareo isles and Iceland. I think you should consider ship size first as some of the larger ships may not be able to go right up the fjords. also think about which shipping Line to use. The last one we went was a on a Viking ship , those who pay the most get first choice of trips out and fine dining or in speciality dining irrespective of how early you book, but the most comfortable ship ever been onwas the Viing Mars.

It makes no difference which side of the ship as it can only go to the end of the fjord then back down it again. Don't pay extra for a drinks package as they are free at meal times, just order a second or third glass and take it with you as you leave the dining area.

yes you are certainly over thinking as the photo oppertunities will wear out your camera so take a load of memory cards and spare batteries.
you will regret not taking a small video camcorder as well believe me.

More importent is planning what you want to see such as going in the Flam Railway or eagles bend which can clear as quicly as it mists over

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KN8i9kEdss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ZtxXFmIoM

It all depends on what you want to see. If I was asked what to go on again it would definately be the Norway- Fareo isles and Iceland . then you can have the crossing the artic circle experience on board ( on the Viking Mars)

and on iceland walk on the boiling sulphic plain

If you went by boat there are stunning sunsets over tghe North sea but yhou loose days that could have been in Norway on a fly/crusie,

7PSmBGO.jpg

The geiser In Iceland advertised is now partially blocked or was when we were there by falling rocks

up in the mountain

HpYWS8h.jpg

JfJCvFj.jpg

bBZdPI4.jpg

I have been to many countries around the world from Brazil to China to Japan to USA to Egypt to mention but a few, but I would go back to Norway time and time again given the chance, it is so beautiful and stunning scenery

1Nki1CH.jpg

PXAK70H.jpg

If I can help in anyway please ask

Thanks for the detailed reply @realspeed.

The cruise company and ship are already chosen as it's our family holiday next year and not a specific photography trip but before choosing my cabin I thought I may get better photo opportunities from one side vs the other. Anyway, I've now taken a semi-educated punt on one side so time will tell whether I chose correctly.

As you correctly point out, larger ships are restricted in how far down the fjords they can go, and the ship we are booked on is massive (P&O Iona), so we will be looking to book onto a smaller boat for a trip down the fjords.

I have watched a few youtube videos about the cruise but now I will start to do more research on the shore excursions and I will look into the ones you mention.

Last edited:
Have done 4 or 5 cruises to the fjords, one which also headed over to Iceland and Svalbard. Agree with other comments when they say not to worry about which side of the boat you’re on, really doesn’t matter. Of all the ports we’ve been to, Olden is my absolute favourite - and most cruises do tend to go there. wouldn‘t get too hung up about the skylift, it’s good but there are better photographic opportunities. The road can pick up from the port is worth every penny with a few stops to take photos at nice spots (there’s a wooden bridge over the river with a cracking view up the valley, and a stunning red wooden church). You can actually walk from the berth either up the hill opposite, or up towards the wooden bridge I mentioned. Lots of great photo opportunities.

Ive been fortunate to have Grand parents who‘ve taken me cruising most years of my life and I’m now 40, and the one frustration as a photographer on cruises is rarely being on firm ground for sunsets or sunrises. You can do ok from the moving ship provided shutter speed is fast enough, but missing the golden hour is annoying, so look for cruises where there’s an overnight stop. Or sometimes for Iceland cruises you can do a road tour that starts at the first port and you stay on land for a night or two before being picked up on the other side of the island.

impeccably timed, I published a piece on cruise photography on my blog at end of February 2020 - just as the world (and cruise ships especially) came to a stuttering stop! Might be a useful read though, go into a bit more details on how to make the most of a cruise as a photographer - with a few examples. It’s here in case you’re interested.

By now NPUK you should have a fair idea of what to expect and understand why myself and others that have posted why going back again and again. You will have an amazing holiday and one hard will be hard to forget

By now NPUK you should have a fair idea of what to expect and understand why myself and others that have posted why going back again and again. You will have an amazing holiday and one hard will be hard to forget

Yes there are a good few tips there. Thanks guys.

Thank you one tries to help if one can. Given the chance I would go back time and time again but next year the boss "er indoors" wants to do a river cruise in Portugal, so that is what we have booked.
we went into a viking boat museum while there as well. This is one of the actual boats that went over to Scotland during WW2 to get supplies ie arms and food etc it could get into the smallest of fjords the german boats could not get to

_DSC2197a.jpg

Typical 12 man boat used to cross waters to get from one village to another

aaxxx.jpg
typical fishermans hut back in

_DSC2195aa.jpg

_DSC2194aa.jpg

Just one of many viewing points in Norway
View: https://youtu.be/sa0Z2uqOMvE

Last edited:
We did a P&O Ventura i.e. a block of flats cruise just before covid. The ship was not to my taste but Norway was. If I had one adverse comment that we didn't always get the time that I wanted to have whilst on trips out. I recall trying a long exposure shot that took a while to set up that everyone waiting on the bus was narked about.

We did a P&O Ventura i.e. a block of flats cruise just before covid. The ship was not to my taste but Norway was. If I had one adverse comment that we didn't always get the time that I wanted to have whilst on trips out. I recall trying a long exposure shot that took a while to set up that everyone waiting on the bus was narked about.
Yeah, key tip on a cruise - don't do the tours! They tend to cost considerably more than booking locally, and seem to assume everyone wants to prioritise eating and gift shops over the actual sightseeing! In Iceland we did a tour with 2 hours for lunch and 2x 30 minutes in a gift shop (officially a 'toilet' break). Given we were only there from 8am to 5pm, plus travel time, that's a huge chunk of the day.

The only benefit of the tours is you tend to get off the boat first, and if there are delays getting back, the boat will wait (or find a solution to get you back onboard somewhere). Do research up front, so much stuff online and of course can always ask here too

The number of cruises we have been on and watched the late comers trying to get back on board as the ship is leaving. The Ship DON'T wait. One advantage of a ship tour group is you get the history as well of the place ,you don't get that going it alone.

for me the worst cruise line was Royal Caribbean. the outside plastic seats half were split, handrails paint pealing everywhere ,and meal times the catering crew dancing/singing to some stupid micky mouse tune as they progressed through the dining area. I would never go with that cruise line again, obviously aimed at the Americans on board who no doubt liked it.
What different with the Viking cruise line, if I tried hard I could not fault it at least on the ship the Viking Mars. luxury all the way from food to cabin. would highly recommend, just word of warning those that pay the most for the cruise get first choice on everything. Princess line is what one would expect nothing stands out as good or bad same with the P&O ship we went on

Had a great time on the River Nile cruise fantastic staff if you give them the respect it is returned 10 fold. Even down to making a cake especially for Sue when she compliments the chef on the one she had. Long story about that river cruise but not for this thread

Last edited:
I went last year on P&O Iona and did Stavanger/Olden/Haugesund, we had a cabin right at the front facing forwards so got a lot of scenic views

20220503_122339308_iOS.jpeg

20220503_190935257_iOS.jpeg

IMG_0804.jpeg

I went last year on P&O Iona and did Stavanger/Olden/Haugesund, we had a cabin right at the front facing forwards so got a lot of scenic views

View attachment 401589

View attachment 401590

View attachment 401591

Sounds like the same cruise that we are booked on. I was thinking about booking a cabin at the front for possibly slightly better views but chickened out in the end for fear of sea sickness increasing the further forward you go. Ended up booking mid forward and not overly high up either for the same fear of sea sickness spoiling everything.

Sounds like the same cruise that we are booked on. I was thinking about booking a cabin at the front for possibly slightly better views but chickened out in the end for fear of sea sickness increasing the further forward you go. Ended up booking mid forward and not overly high up either for the same fear of sea sickness spoiling everything.
We only had one rough day, and to be honest you couldn't really feel it that bad as it's such a large ship

Back