Anyone bought used from eBay dealers in Japan?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
As title, just interested to see if anyone has any experience of buying used camera gear from eBay dealers in Japan.
How did it fare, what extra costs did you incur and any regrets?

Bought a Minolta Alpha 9. I was lucky no import tax was added, but I'd expect to be asked to paid import VAT when making any order. Note that when they are added you pay a fee of about £8 to Royal Mail, or £10 to Parcelforce, on top of the applicable tax. This makes items that only just go over the threshold much more expensive.

It has 2 marks in the viewfinder that look a little like oil spots. They're not that bothersome, but I'd rather the marks weren't there.

I've also used JAUCE which kind of acts like a middle man for Yahoo auctions Japan. My understanding is that it's not possible to use Japanese Yahoo Auctions from the UK. They buy it for you, then store and ship them. You can buy more than one item and have them ship them all at once, but after a certain amount of time they charge storage fees. It worked well when I used it, but the fees they charge do all add up.

I bought a Nikon FE plus a 50mm f1.4 last year.

The camera condition was almost mint as was the lens so no problems there.

What was a shame was customs caught it and I had to pay full duty (from memory something over 20%) and a fee to the shipper.
I suspect customs have very little trouble picking up the packages to open from Japan so in future I will allow for the charges before clicking buy.

Whatever the cost was a bit more than I was expecting but it was a Christmas present to me!

Back