Anyone compared the X-T2 vs A7R2?

Raymond, you seem very exacting (and that's not a criticism) so I wonder if you'll be happy with the APS-C Fuji? Maybe you'll regret not having FF? But going for an A7 with adapted Canon lenses means additional bulk and I assume slightly less focus speed.

Personally I'd bite the bullet, spend the money and go for the A7x and choose from the 28mm f2, 35mm f2.8, 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8. You seem to want a 35mm f2 but is f2.8 really that bad?

I'm fine abroad with my lowly A7 and 35mm f2.8 :D Yes it would be nice if the f2.8 was f1.4 but it is what it is.

I might just bite the bullet and take my Canon tbh. I could get the Sigma 24-35 F/2 instead of the 35L to save weight.

p.s. previous I have always taken my 5D (from mk2, mk3 etc) and have gone to Hong Kong, America, Italy, Prague, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, pretty much everywhere with it. But those times I am not travelling a lot. I am basically 1 hotel and walk around day to day.

I can't see it being a problem taking the Canon, but at the same time, I got the Fuji because of travel as I found out in my trips, especially in the evenings I tend to leave the Canon in the hotel because it was too big.

Last edited:
I might just bite the bullet and take my Canon tbh. I could get the Sigma 24-35 F/2 instead of the 35L to save weight.

p.s. previous I have always taken my 5D (from mk2, mk3 etc) and have gone to Hong Kong, America, Italy, Prague, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, pretty much everywhere with it. But those times I am not travelling a lot. I am basically 1 hotel and walk around day to day.

I can't see it being a problem taking the Canon, but at the same time, I got the Fuji because of travel as I found out in my trips, especially in the evenings I tend to leave the Canon in the hotel because it was too big.

I know we're very different "photographers" and indeed I don't think I'd call myself a photographer but I do think that a standard-ish zoom and a fast prime are a good solution. In my case it'd be a fast prime on my A7 for quality and lower light use and a zoom on either one of my MFT cameras or my 1" compact for wider and longer shots in good light.

How about your Canon and plumb for an RX1 for the times when the Canon is too much :D

When I went to Tokyo a few years ago, it didn't particularly matter what gear I'd taken. I got to Mount Fuji (bus ride from Tokyo) and it was obscured in heavy cloud. The coach could barely get any faster than 5mph going up the visibility was so poor, and when we get out we could barely see the hands in front of our faces. Hopeless.

When I went to Tokyo a few years ago, it didn't particularly matter what gear I'd taken. I got to Mount Fuji (bus ride from Tokyo) and it was obscured in heavy cloud. The coach could barely get any faster than 5mph going up the visibility was so poor, and when we get out we could barely see the hands in front of our faces. Hopeless.

Not going up there, I want a view of the mountain, not be up it.

Tbh, might take my 5D4 after all, it never stopped me on every other trip so I can't see how it will affect me on this trip.

Man up and suck it up……use the money on a new MBP so I can process some photos during the trip would be more useful.

Get hold of some Fuji RAW landscape shots and make sure you're happy with the rendering before taking the plunge (y)

Been thinking more and more and more……..

I really want an XT-2, but with the grip, even with discount, it is 75% of the price of a A7R2 (used or import)…..I think I know where I am going with this.

Been thinking more and more and more……..

I really want an XT-2, but with the grip, even with discount, it is 75% of the price of a A7R2 (used or import)…..I think I know where I am going with this.

Come on you know you want to come over to the dark side :D

Tbh, might take my 5D4 after all, it never stopped me on every other trip so I can't see how it will affect me on this trip.

Man up and suck it up……use the money on a new MBP so I can process some photos during the trip would be more useful.

It's one of the mental processes I run through when thinking about mew kit or a bout of GAS comes on: what are the jobs to be done and what will buying XYZ add to that?

A MBP will add to the 'jobs to be done' (or at least my man maths says it will), a new camera won't.

It's one of the mental processes I run through when thinking about mew kit or a bout of GAS comes on: what are the jobs to be done and what will buying XYZ add to that?

A MBP will add to the 'jobs to be done' (or at least my man maths says it will), a new camera won't.

Well....a new MBP would be useful too, as is a new iMac next year.

I don't "need" anyone of them this moment in time. At a pinch I can use my 5D4 so it's not exactly bad IQ...first world problem.

Just buy or borrow the Sony looking at what you've written in this thread it is inevitable at some point!

If you picked one up from the classifieds for a decent price i'm sure you could sell it for pretty much the same price if you didn't get on with it

It's not the X-T2 is that expensive, but the price is so close to the A7R2 it makes the extra £300 or so makes more sense.

But u already have Fuji glass.
Canon glass adapted won't be a particularly lightweight travel option.

Bro get the A7R2. Better iq

I'd agree if speed isn't a big requirement, for me the Fuji XT-2 feels less sluggish but you have to remember the XT-2 is a crop sensor and the A7RII has to work with massive data due to it being 42.2mp.

So both have pros and cons.

Back