Anyone drive a Hyundai ?

Been looking at the i30... Looks a smart car...

A friend of mine has one, he's very pleased with it. It looks quite well put together and is certainly a comfortable ride. That said, if you're looking for something quick, it might not be the car for you.

I've got the 2.7 V6 gen 3.5 coupé
its not really a family car,
(its definitely a just about a 2+2, and you can get a couple of smaller teens in there)
but as I don't have a "family" as such it doesn't come into the equation ;)
Pretty quick holds the road well, drinks fuel like its going out of fashion,
Plenty of driver leg room but the head room is "just about enough" for a 6 footer.

I love it :)

Just bought an i10 for my wife - seems a great bit of kit. My dad loves his Sante Fe.

I've got the 2.7 V6 gen 3.5 coupé
its not really a family car,
(its definitely a just about a 2+2, and you can get a couple of smaller teens in there)
but as I don't have a "family" as such it doesn't come into the equation ;)
Pretty quick holds the road well, drinks fuel like its going out of fashion,
Plenty of driver leg room but the head room is "just about enough" for a 6 footer.

I love it :)

Out of curiousity, what attracted you to the coupé, particularly the 2.7l V6?
Maybe I'm just being silly, but it doesn't really make much sense to me, a heavy torquey engine but with not a great deal of power in a such a coupé just seems daft to me.

Maybe I'm just being silly, but it doesn't really make much sense to me, a heavy torquey engine but with not a great deal of power in a such a coupé just seems daft to me.

I'd guess the torque gives you a nice thump in the back when you floor it.

A friend of mine has one, he's very pleased with it. It looks quite well put together and is certainly a comfortable ride. That said, if you're looking for something quick, it might not be the car for you.

Nope, looking for something a little less thirsty than my 1.8 petrol focus and the diesel i30 seems to fit the bill, slightly bigger boot than the focus too for holidays and golf days out :)

I work a lot with various Hyundai dealerships. Although I have never owned one, their customers seem very pleased with them. Btw, I know you are saying you are going for diesel to save money, but how many miles a year do you actually do? BTW my full time job is training car sales execs.

I work a lot with various Hyundai dealerships. Although I have never owned one, their customers seem very pleased with them. Btw, I know you are saying you are going for diesel to save money, but how many miles a year do you actually do? BTW my full time job is training car sales execs.

Hi Chris,

I do around 15k per year, but only getting 36mpg currently.

I know diesel is more expensive to purchase

This is the model that interests me:
http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/h...6-crdi-110ps-blue-drive-active_7080050/review

I would be buying used from a dealer most likely, seems to have really good figures for miles per gallon - which I know are not likely to be what is actually achieved, but I still think it will be cheaper to run than my current focus.

Thoughts appreciated..

All the wrong reasons TBH
I like the style I like the torque and its quick enough to lose your licence before
you have time to think about it. :D

And again TBH I was pretty hooked on the 2.8i special Capri's in their day
and this is very reminiscent, albeit FWD

I recently bought the Kia equivalent - the Cee'd - and I'm very happy with it so far. I traded my 13 year old Nissan 200 SX Touring so it was very much a case of swapping performance for economy, as well as many other things which suit my needs better today. It is the Kia Cee'd 2 1.6 CRDi (126).

I bought it in February and to date it has around 800 miles on the clock, so the engine is far from loosened up yet. On a run I am seeing 63 mpg and on my shorter journeys 45 mpg. Average overall is looking to be over 50mpg (53mpg since last fill), but it's winter and I expect economy to improve as the weather warms up and the engine frees up. So far I have only re-filled the tank once since I bought it - the dealer included just over half a tank - so I don't have accurate brim to brim figures and am guided by the trip computer, but people say the figures from the Cee'd computer should be pretty realistic.

I do not do a lot of miles per annum, but the savings already are significant. My annual road tax is down from £225 to £0. Fully comp protected insurance is down from £245 to £201, before cash back, £140 after cash back. Fuel costs are down by over 50%, even allowing for the additional cost per litre. As a tax exempt vehicle I face no congestion charge (not actually a concern for me) and also am entitled to free parking at my local country parks (otherwise £2.20 per day or £65 per annum), which I visit daily to walk the dog. It has a 7 year warranty and a fixed price servicing plan for £609 over five years. The biggest concern with my low mileage would be DPF clogging, but so far it has regened twice without issue.

The Focus, or even the new Fiesta (my girlfriend has one) were also strong contenders, with Golf/Polo/Astra loitering in the wings, but the Kia styling inside and out beat the Focus/Fiesta into submission along with the larger boot (for my dog) and perceived lower cost of ownership. I expect to keep the car for 10 years, give or take, so depreciation is barely a consideration as whatever I buy will be worth little by then. For the price I find the spec level to be remarkable. I researched extensively online prior to purchase and, while I probably shouldn't admit to this, the Kia was the only car I took for a test drive. It was pre-registered, seven weeks old and with 85 miles on the clock, and I paid for it and drove it home there and then. I really saw no need to go and try anything else.

It's far too early to say whether I made the right choice to go with Kia, but so far so good. I don't expect to be seeing the dealer again until the annual service is due.

EDIT : Brim to brim economy from the first full tank was 53.2 mpg in mixed driving with mostly short journeys - 4.5 miles per time - in light traffic. The trip computer recorded 52.8 mpg overall, so pretty darned close.

Last edited:
You can't go comparing a Capri to a Hyundai! :p

No not really, but I suspect that is the type of car the Capri would have become
after the disastrous attempt to replace it with the Probe.

I recently bought the Kia equivalent - the Cee'd - and I'm very happy with it so far. I traded my 13 year old Nissan 200 SX Touring so it was very much a case of swapping performance for economy, as well as many other things which suit my needs better today. It is the Kia Cee'd 2 1.6 CRDi (126).

I bought it in February and to date it has around 800 miles on the clock, so the engine is far from loosened up yet. On a run I am seeing 63 mpg and on my shorter journeys 45 mpg. Average overall is looking to be over 50mpg (53mpg since last fill), but it's winter and I expect economy to improve as the weather warms up and the engine frees up. So far I have only re-filled the tank once since I bought it - the dealer included just over half a tank - so I don't have accurate brim to brim figures and am guided by the trip computer, but people say the figures from the Cee'd computer should be pretty realistic.

I do not do a lot of miles per annum, but the savings already are significant. My annual road tax is down from £225 to £0. Fully comp protected insurance is down from £245 to £201, before cash back, £140 after cash back. Fuel costs are down by over 50%, even allowing for the additional cost per litre. As a tax exempt vehicle I face no congestion charge (not actually a concern for me) and also am entitled to free parking at my local country parks (otherwise £2.20 per day or £65 per annum), which I visit daily to walk the dog. It has a 7 year warranty and a fixed price servicing plan for £609 over five years. The biggest concern with my low mileage would be DPF clogging, but so far it has regened twice without issue.

The Focus, or even the new Fiesta (my girlfriend has one) were also strong contenders, with Golf/Polo/Astra loitering in the wings, but the Kia styling inside and out beat the Focus/Fiesta into submission along with the larger boot (for my dog) and perceived lower cost of ownership. I expect to keep the car for 10 years, give or take, so depreciation is barely a consideration as whatever I buy will be worth little by then. For the price I find the spec level to be remarkable. I researched extensively online prior to purchase and, while I probably shouldn't admit to this, the Kia was the only car I took for a test drive. It was pre-registered, seven weeks old and with 85 miles on the clock, and I paid for it and drove it home there and then. I really saw no need to go and try anything else.

It's far too early to say whether I made the right choice to go with Kia, but so far so good. I don't expect to be seeing the dealer again until the annual service is due.

Nice write up, thanks. I've been looking at the same group that you looked at and I keep coming back to the Kia over the rest although the Volvo V40 has also caught my eye!

My sister and her husband each have a V40 diesel estate, both a few years old. They provide high levels of refinement and pleasing styling inside and out. Nice cars for sure. I suspect that price wise they would not compete favourably with my Kia deal, although I never bothered to look.

EDIT : I just checked Autotrader. For a 62 plate (same as mine) diesel with 1,000 miles on the clock (900 miles more) the asking price is £18,000, putting it £4,000 above my Kia. For the 1.6 diesel, power, 0-62 and top speed all fall slightly short on the Volvo, although economy and torque edge ahead. Realistically it's not worth worrying about the small differences there. Styling wise it's a wash for me. Hard to be sure how the equipment spec compares, but it looks like they are probably close. The Kia is Euro NCAP 5 star and the 7 year warranty gives peace of mind. I much prefer the extra £4k to remain in my pocket. :)

Last edited:
No not really, but I suspect that is the type of car the Capri would have become
after the disastrous attempt to replace it with the Probe.

I'd forgotten about the Probe. Sunk without a trace...

I don't think the name helped did it :D

HonestJohn seems to be a fan of Hyundais. But I have to laugh at his quote about the Coupe:

I do have to ponder who will buy the car, though. Four years ago I went on the launch of the protrusive Mk II Coupe in Majorca and I thought it was a car for divorced men in their late 40s to drive divorced women in their late 30s back from nightclubs. The Mk III is a much better car and a truly great looker. But who's going to go for it?

(Bad language alert!)

[YOUTUBE]CaiWEK_8UVM[/YOUTUBE]

I thought it was a car for divorced men in their late 40s to drive divorced women in their late 30s back from nightclubs.

Does Cobra come into this category? :D :LOL:

My son worked For Hyundai at Tilbury Docks last year, he wasn't impressed driving any of the cars and much preferred driving his 10yr old Mk1 Focus

nilagin said:
My son worked For Hyundai at Tilbury Docks last year, he wasn't impressed driving any of the cars and much preferred driving his 10yr old Mk1 Focus

Does 100m dock to transporter count as a full road test

I saw the new i40 recently, very impressed with the styling, the police round here are driving the i30 as patrol cars , I suspect the 7 year warranty is playing a large part in that decision

I booked a Focus hire car in Crete last year and was given an i30 instead. Was very put-off by the idea of 'Korean junk' but didn't have a choice. By the end of the holiday, I didn't want to give it back. If I was looking for that sort of car (which I'm not) I'd be very happy with it.(y)

Does 100m dock to transporter count as a full road test

I saw the new i40 recently, very impressed with the styling, the police round here are driving the i30 as patrol cars , I suspect the 7 year warranty is playing a large part in that decision

They were driven a lot more than 100m, and lets say they were put through more than just a normal test drive.;)

Be very careful, spare parts arn't readily available for cars made in Korea. I had to wait nearly a month for a part (under warranty) to be sent by ship for my Kia Sorento. Another was a wiring fault needed a complete new loom but all I got was a patch repair (4 times) again under warranty and that was going to 2 main dealers. 800 miles and the brake discs warped was another fault, I found out it was a common one but Kia didn't bother with a recall
Oh and I wasn't given a loan car either. In the end I couldn't wait to get rid of the damn thing

My wife drives a Kia ceed estate and after 4 years they still havn't fixed/replaced to faulty radio and she had to have a complete set of wheels replaced due to poor quality and getting badly pitted.

Personally points out of 10 for Korean cars is 3 due to bad after care and cheap quality parts. I definately wouldn't touch one again, very disappointed with them.

Still you pay for what you get =rubbish

Realspeed

Last edited:
I don't think the name helped did it :D
It wasn't the smartest choice was it? :D
HonestJohn seems to be a fan of Hyundais. But I have to laugh at his quote about the Coupe:

I do have to ponder who will buy the car, though. Four years ago I went on the launch of the protrusive Mk II Coupe in Majorca and I thought it was a car for divorced men in their late 40s to drive divorced women in their late 30s back from nightclubs. The Mk III is a much better car and a truly great looker. But who's going to go for it?[/I]

Me obviously :D
But mine is the even better Mk3.5 (facelift as they say)

I doubt he could remember his late 40s. ;)
Watch it you :p

The name "Probe" was the original name for the prototype/concept that turned into the Sierra. Ford recycled the name for the a**l intruder coupé.

I doubt he could remember his late 40s. ;)

I know I can't remember mine but my excuse is illness rather than the passage of time!

Oh, and an ON topic comment! We've had all sorts of hire cars on holiday and while we've not had a Hyundai recently, the ones we had a few years ago were good little cars. Even the tiny Daewoo/Chevrolet Matiz has hauled us and luggage around Crete a few times!

Last edited:
Does anyone drive the ix 20 ? I am going to view one in the flesh sometime as Hyundai still give the option of a real sunroof

Just picked up a 2010 i30 yesterday. I love it. 1.5 CRDI 5 door, up to 65mpg ( although I'm only getting 57mpg combined - not complaining) and £30 year tax. Plenty room for wife and 2 kids. Fitting a buggy and medium sized dog cage in the boot with no probs.

Oh and still 2 years manufacturers warranty left (they come with 5 years)

Last edited:
Does anyone drive the ix 20 ? I am going to view one in the flesh sometime as Hyundai still give the option of a real sunroof

Neighbour drives an ix20, looks a smart car. Don't know the spec of it but it has the full length glass roof thing and looks real nice. She has two kids and there is plenty room for them all

Yeah bought from Arnold Clark. From 2010 all Hyundai come with a 5 year warranty and Kia come with 7. Warranty is registered to the vehicle so doesn't matter how many owners, 5 years is 5 years

Their are a lot of people that only keep cars for a year or two, then up-grade to a new one ;)

Makes me wonder why anyone would trade in a car still under warranty :thinking:

Also a lot of leasehire coompany cars are traded in as are rentals to keep things up to date.
Nothing wrong with them, they have usually been well looked after to avoid extra charges

Did you buy this from a dealer?
Or does the 5 yr warranty carry over to any owner of the vehicle?

Cheers

Vauxhalls "lifetime" warranty is the only one that expires when the car is sold or traded in. All other manufacturers warranties continue to term regardless of number of owners.
Their are a lot of people that only keep cars for a year or two, then up-grade to a new one ;)
I knew a bloke who changed his car every nine months. As a Ford employee it's the minimum amount of time we can have a Ford car on discount before selling. As soon as he had picked up his new car, he was planning the next. Once he changed tradition and bought a VW Lupo GTi. He hated it, it spent about 6 weeks in total, in the 6 months he owned it, in the Dealers with mechanical issues, he traded it in on another Ford.

Back