Anyone else miss a sunroof.

One of my favourite ever memories was being driven home through Clumber Park around midnight, and standing up through the sunroof and watching a colossal lightning storm just a few miles away.

A few miles away was a little too close to be doing that during a lightning storm :D

In the US they still have the option on the same models that are sold here, as is the case of my CRV but they are called moonroofs :).

Typical! Why can't they moon out of the back window like everyone else? :wacky:

previous 2 cars had them. Used it maybe 10 times and glad it didn't break. Do not miss one at all - the windows and AC are all I really need.

However a convertible does sound tempting. A small sunroof doesn't come close to that.

Hate them! Mainly for the reason below - I'm 6'1 with SFHL so my body's extra long and for years my wife insisted on having sunroofs and I suffered from bad neck and back due to the permanent kink and/or extra reclined seat position.

No.

They just stole valuable headroom from those of us who are over 6 foot tall, meaning you either had to lean in towards the middle of the car or have your head crushed into the roof lining. :thumbsdown:

I also suffer from UV sensitive skin so the top of my head tended to get burned (and you do look a bit of a tw@ wearing a het in a hard top!) However, my wife now has an MX-5 and I wear a little beanie fleece hat which a) keeps the sun off and b) keeps the only parts that don't feel the benefit of it's great heater system (head and ears) warm! We both love having the hood down at every opportunity, with frosty mornings being a particular favourite (a good warm jacket helps...) Of course the fact that the hood is so fast to lower/raise means that even a sudden shower is no problem (5 seconds and the hood's up - faster than any electric roof.)

I like the light they let in but have no desire to ever open them, particularly if anyone is unfortunate enough to be in the back seats when they're open. Similarly, I hate convertibles and can never understand why people enjoy them. I'm also of the opinion that convertibles are always uglier than their hard-top counterparts.

I'd never buy a convertible either. I'd feel way too self conscious in it.

It baffles me when I see people driving with their roof down in bitterly cold weather. Yea, like that looks really enjoyable!

It is! See above.

I'd never buy a convertible either. I'd feel way too self conscious in it.

I am massively self-conscious but being seen driving it with the hood down doesn't worry me at all. It's just a car.

I didn't buy it for other people to look at, I bought it for me to drive.

I am massively self-conscious but being seen driving it with the hood down doesn't worry me at all. It's just a car.

I didn't buy it for other people to look at, I bought it for me to drive.

Maybe so, but there sure are (many) people out there that buy a convertible for the pose factor.

It is! See above.

Each to their own, but dropping your roof then wrapping yourself up for arctic-like conditions wouldn't be my cup of tea. I'd rather have my roof, a temperate atmosphere, and not be trussed up with a jacket, scarf and hat while I'm driving. :p

We rented a Z4 convertible in California last summer, and although it was okay in the heat of the Nappa Valley, there's no way I would've found it as much of a joy in single figure temperatures.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but there sure are (many) people out there that buy a convertible for the pose factor.

They're the ones you see - most often, I have noticed, in Mercedes, Minis or especially Saabs, who keep the roof up and presumably the air conditioning on even on the warmest summer days!

It must make perfect sense for them to spend several thousand quid more on a smaller rear window for reduced rear visibility!

Each to their own, but dropping your roof then wrapping yourself up for arctic-like conditions wouldn't be my cup of tea. I'd rather have my roof, a temperate atmosphere, and not be trussed up with a jacket, scarf and hat while I'm driving. :p

We rented a Z4 convertible in California last summer, and although it was okay in the heat of the Nappa Valley, there's no way I would've found it as much of a joy in single figure temperatures.

You've presumably never ridden a motorbike either, have you?

I remember Steve Cropley once wrote a column about how any journey with the roof down was a "motoring" adventure, even taking an old Suzuki Jeep for its MoT test!

I'm one of those who'll drop the roof even on a cold, bright January day to enjoy the sense of all round vision and experience the sounds and the smells of what's going on around me.

... oh, and unlike Yvonne, I like sunroofs too,

I've been on the back of one, if that fits with the 'ridden' description. :)

Um.... That's a quote from Yves Geza not me, although it may well have been from me! I very rarely go for a drive for the drive's sake - there's little fun in that these days - so I'll need the same sort of thermal protection when I reach my destination, whether it's town or country (a wander round the shops or a walk in the open air!) As a biker, I already have the kit - in my case that's an Irvin flying jacket and more than warm enough even on a bike in sub zero temperatures (although the knees get a bit chilly!)

My car is rather more civilised than my wife's and has no sunroof or soft top, although I may change it for a soft top when a 3rd occupant won't be ferried about on a regular basis, although the current plan is to go for the Sportbrake version (estate) next time, possibly with the bigger engine (my mileage doesn't really warrant the extra economy the current Diesel gives over the V8 petrol and the sound of the V8 will be worth the extra costs!) I'll almost certainly be sticking with the same manufacturer though - I like the look of the cars they produce. (Hint <-----)

Jon (YG) again mirrors my views on the soft top versions of saloons - they rarely (if ever) look right and it's a big premium to pay for the wind in your bald spot! Similarly, I'm not a fan of the hard tops available for "proper" DHCs - IMO they spoil the designers' lines. Some of the reworked hard top versions work but not many - off the top of my head, the E-Type and a couple of the modern AMs are the few that work well. (Both a little out of my price range although an older DB7 could creep in!)

I really like having a sunroof. Years ago they were almost standard, then I spent years driving company cars without one and now I drove a CRV with one and if it isn't raining its invariably open.

The Wife isn't always very impressed but I love it whatever the weather!

Hate them! Mainly for the reason below - I'm 6'1 with SFHL so my body's extra long and for years my wife insisted on having sunroofs and I suffered from bad neck and back due to the permanent kink and/or extra reclined seat position.
I drive with my seat in a reclined position, so much so that people often joke that I sleep in the car.:LOL: It's never caused a stiff neck or bad back though.

Had one in my Mk3 Golf and missed it in the Audi A3 I had - now got an MG ZR and enjoying the sunroof again - then again I do not have air con.

My Toyota Camry has a sunroof.
My best of all was an old 2CV .. It was nearly all sunroof. It was marvellous for an evening drive to nowhere...

Had one in my Mk3 Golf and missed it in the Audi A3 I had - now got an MG ZR and enjoying the sunroof again - then again I do not have air con.

I had an MG ZR park next to my car a few years back. As the occupants got out, I was surprised to see it had keep fit windows so lack of air con doesn't come as a surprise.

I had 2 of the original style Vauxhall Merivas. Both were the design model which had 2 electric sunroofs and air con. Tilt and slide in the front and tilting one for the back. It was brilliant. Pity they never carried on with the new shape instead of taxi doors !

Last edited:
In 2007 got one of the then new Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Elite 7 seaters.

A panoramic electric sunroof with internal electric privacy blinds was a £1600 extra so I declined.
The car that turned up had the panoramic sunroof! The dealer was trying to get me to "contribute" but just said no I will wait for the car I ordered!

As I drove off the manager stopped me and I was able the drive off with the sunroof fitted car at no extra.

Served me well for the 3 yyears and was a really nice car. Still tempted to lookk for another.

My Astra SRi with the VXR body kit is 3 years old so thinking what nect. Lead choice is Ford Grand C Max. Need to see if they come with sunroofs.

Any suggestions of a 7 seater with glass in the roof???

H

Um.... That's a quote from Yves Geza not me, although it may well have been from me!

Not sure how that happened Nod ?! :shrug: :thinking:

Funnily enough, the E-Type is the only Jag I'm not a fan of. I've seen some mint ones over the years and half considered one in brilliant nick before I bought the MKII, but the fact it was a convertible turned me off lol.

Last edited:
In 2007 got one of the then new Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Elite 7 seaters.

A panoramic electric sunroof with internal electric privacy blinds was a £1600 extra so I declined.
The car that turned up had the panoramic sunroof! The dealer was trying to get me to "contribute" but just said no I will wait for the car I ordered!

As I drove off the manager stopped me and I was able the drive off with the sunroof fitted car at no extra.

Served me well for the 3 yyears and was a really nice car. Still tempted to lookk for another.

H

I've got a 2009 one of those. With 4 kids it does as our family car. It's a decent 7 seater.

I've also got a Pug 307 estate without a sunroof. It doesn't fit us all in but It' good for the dogs.

I'm getting a 7 seat Land Rover Discovery on Monday and that one has a sunroof. Hopefully not a leaky one.

I've got a 2009 one of those. With 4 kids it does as our family car. It's a decent 7 seater.

I've also got a Pug 307 estate without a sunroof. It doesn't fit us all in but It' good for the dogs.

I'm getting a 7 seat Land Rover Discovery on Monday and that one has a sunroof. Hopefully not a leaky one.

I have a Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 2800 Diesel as my 7 seater. Thought the cylinder head had cracked but was a split lower radiator hose.

My kids are all grown and my eldest wants the Pajero..... So perhaps the Grand C Max will do as a general runabout. Could leave a space in the garage for an Aerial Atom!!!!!

Enjoy the Discovery. A great vehicle.

I was reading on a land rover forum

A guy had gone into a dealer for parts for his 1995 defender, while he was waiting he went into the showroom and sat in a new defender

He said it cost £32,000 but it was nice to know the old land rover values still applied

As he looked down he could still see light through the bottom of the closed door

TBH I forget my Civic has a sunroof. I forgot my I had a Sunroof on my Almera GTi. That I'd left open. In a Thunderstorm.

As for soft tops with the roof down in the cold, well the same issue was raised on an MX5 forum. My response didn't make me popular. Suffice to say it's not something I'm likely to be doing. Ever.

Back