Anyone ever make a diffuser sock?

Name
Zach Rohe
Edit My Images
No
I have a strange sized reflector I would like to make a diffuser sock for but I'm not sure what material may be best. Any ideas?

Polyester? Should be quite easy to make with a sewing machine and a bit of elastic webbing.

Never used a sock but I use a similar shape small diffuser from ebay a lot. A white sock should work, anything white. I know a bloke who used empty milk bottles for diffusers.

The heavier the material the greater the light loss but the more the diffusion.
A light polyester would be suitable.

Back in the 1960's I made a diffuser cover for my then Braun hammer head flash with a white handkerchief and an elastic band. it worked just fine.

According to this Neewer sell the material
I know you're sorted now - but for next time, Neewer sell softbox diffusion fabric by the metre.
But I’d have thought a plain white shower curtain would do as a starter.

Might be easier to get diffusion film (gel) material and just tape it over the reflector.
But I’d have thought a plain white shower curtain would do as a starter
I have regularly used and recommended the same for use as a diffusion panel; but I would be hesitant to rely on it having any heat resistance on the end of a reflector. I do think making a diffusion panel/silk is probably a better answer though.

How do you wish to use the diffuser?...A) aim the light upward to ceiling bounce (or wall bounce), or B) simply aim it forward to your subject?

If A, diffuser is a waste of light energy. If B, it will do little to soften the shadow penumbra (edges)

No flash vs. flash unmodified vs. flash with 5" x 7" diffuser...look an any difference in shots where the arrow is pointing in center shot. This series depicts flash fill
NoDiffWithDiffarr.jpg

This depicts flash as main source of illumination with 5" x 7" softbox at 20'. Softening of shadow edges is minimal!

IMG_7949_zps12e46ec2.jpg

Last edited:
Back