Anyone got a fisheye?

I have the Samyang also, and really like it. The projection of the Samyang is different from Nikon 10.5 and just about any other fisheye. I don't know the math behind it, but with the Samyang, the distortion at the image edges is somehow not so extreme and the images are really usable.

So don't just compare them on price.. I'd pick the Samyang.

but will I find the metering annoying at all?

Can't tell that, I use canon and it meters alright with this lens... The way I imagine it - you estimate the exposure (e.g. Sunny16 rule), make a test shot, check histogram and set the correct exposure. Or use bracketing, which is what I do almost all the time anyway.

Choices choices! What would you pick?

If metering doesn't annoy you, then I don't see why not pick samyang - it's great value lens.

Last edited:
I got the Canon 8-15mm a few weeks ago and love playing around with it. Sure, it isnt an everyday lens by any stretch, but it can create pictures that are unique to the fisheyes. I love playing with it.

Totally disagree about the focussing - place something four inches from the front of a fisheye and it'll be OOF if you just rely on the f-number.... I shoot at f/4-5.6 on mine a lot and especially with close-up stuff, you have to be very aware of getting focus right. DOF still exists....

vaizki said:
I have the Samyang also, and really like it. The projection of the Samyang is different from Nikon 10.5 and just about any other fisheye. I don't know the math behind it, but with the Samyang, the distortion at the image edges is somehow not so extreme and the images are really usable.

So don't just compare them on price.. I'd pick the Samyang.

Then surely you're not getting a true fisheye effect? More the effect of something like a 14mm on DX-type distortion... enough to remind you its a very wide lens but without mental distortion.....

Seems like its defeating the point of owning a fisheye......

Last edited:
Yes you do get fisheye effect and it's not 'just' wide, it's 180 degrees by diagonal on nikon's crop. It's also does a phenomenal job on flare resistance and it's very important for fisheye as you get the sun in your field of view just about all the time

Portsmouth%252520084.jpg

Portsmouth%252520021.jpg

Portsmouth%252520082.jpg

Last edited:
Totally disagree about the focussing - place something four inches from the front of a fisheye and it'll be OOF if you just rely on the f-number.... I shoot at f/4-5.6 on mine a lot and especially with close-up stuff, you have to be very aware of getting focus right. DOF still exists....

Then surely you're not getting a true fisheye effect? More the effect of something like a 14mm on DX-type distortion... enough to remind you its a very wide lens but without mental distortion.....

Seems like its defeating the point of owning a fisheye......

Do you prefer the nikon then?

Yes you do get fisheye effect and it's not 'just' wide, it's 180 degrees by diagonal on nikon's crop. It's also does a phenomenal job on flare resistance and it's very important for fisheye as you get the sun in your field of view just about all the time.....

I see what you mean. It's not too far off the Nikon... probably more like an uncorrected 12mm with that FoV..... :) What is is it... 160-degrees?....

RE: the sun - yep, it can be a pain, but I learn to live with it and TBH, I don't always see the sun when I'm out shooting... this is Britain after all!! :LOL:

Last edited:
Do you prefer the nikon then?

Do I prefer the fisheye or the 14mm do you mean?

I like both, but the 14mm is probably the more useful for what I shoot because it's not as extreme. Although both are what I class as 'impact' lenses (i.e. they can turn something crappy into something eye-catching) the 14mm is the better of the two because it's not as preditable in what it does.... I can shoot all sorts on a 14mm and it's sometimes hard to tell whether it's 14mm or 17mm, where eas the fishete is totally uncorrected so it's always the same.... the fisheye is ace, don't get me wrong (and it was worth the money), but it's not a lens I can use all the time like the 14mm..... :)

specialman said:
Do I prefer the fisheye or the 14mm do you mean?

I like both, but the 14mm is probably the more useful for what I shoot because it's not as extreme. Although both are what I class as 'impact' lenses (i.e. they can turn something crappy into something eye-catching) the 14mm is the better of the two because it's not as preditable in what it does.... I can shoot all sorts on a 14mm and it's sometimes hard to tell whether it's 14mm or 17mm, where eas the fishete is totally uncorrected so it's always the same.... the fisheye is ace, don't get me wrong (and it was worth the money), but it's not a lens I can use all the time like the 14mm..... :)

I mean do you prefer the nikon fisheye over the samyang. Obviously you have the nikon, and gunner has the samyang.

Looking forward to getting one and having a play!

I got a cheapy Zennitar 16mm last year which is comparable to the 8mm samyang on a crop sensor (the samyang could be better to be honest, it is a newer constructed lens), only used it a couple of times so wasn't really looking for anything too expensive, so far tho I've have been impressed with it, and focus for something that wide isn't much of a problem.

_CAM1975.jpg

_CAM2885.jpg

I have just taken delivery of a Canon 15mm today on a try before you buy offer from a kind member on here ;), not had a chance to try it out in earnest yet but liking what can be done with it, I am sure it will stay with me as it does not take up much weight or room in my kit bag.

I went for the 10.5mm nikon one. I'll be having a bash with it over the next few weeks. I'll post some results once I've got used to the new D90.

The Nikon 10.5 really rocks!

One from this weekend:

bh_dtm_ak110902-211.jpg

Back